Possibly visiting Brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought the same when I was 20.
Thankfully people are generally less prejudice these days than in the the early 1900’s 😂

I think that’s part of its appeal to some, you can be how you want, wear what you want, and difference is celebrated. It’s called having fun 🤩

That side of it is not for us personally, but fortunately we can be happy for people to enjoy themselves.

Thankfully people are generally less prejudice these days than in the the early 1900’s 😂

I think that’s part of its appeal to some, you can be how you want, wear what you want, ande difference is celebrated. It’s called having fun 🤩
It's nothing
That side of it is not for us personally, but fortunately we can be happy for people to enjoy themselves.
It's nothing to do with prejudice on my part and I find your clumsy and unfounded assertion offensive.

If you are suggesting that I am prejudiced regarding the well known open and welcoming aspect of Brighton to the gay scene then again you are completely wrong. We have two very close male friends whose wedding we attended not long ago and are looking forward to attending the wedding in July of two ladies who are also very good friends.

Try reading my post correctly. I acknowledged that some people very much enjoy the town.

I have visited Brighton many times to visit friends (now moved) but I have never felt any affinity to it or desire to go there for any other reason.

It's nothing to do with prejudice on my part and I find your clumsy and unfounded assertion offensive.

If you are suggesting that I am prejudiced regarding the well known open and welcoming aspect of Brighton to the gay scene then again you are completely wrong. We have two very close male friends whose wedding we attended not long ago and are looking forward to attending the wedding in July of two ladies who are also very good friends.

Try reading my post correctly. I acknowledged that some people very much enjoy the town.

I have visited Brighton many times to visit friends (now moved) but I have never felt any affinity to it or desire to go there for any other reason.

OK, I stand corrected. Apologies for any offence, it was meant to be lighthearted 👍

update... looks like I'm not gonna be able to have some time away atm, too many things to sort out here. Would have been nice for a change of scenery , hopefully by my next break I'll be able to. Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.

I don't know if you read Peter James books - but the Roy Grace detective series is set in around Brighton (and the first book appeared on TV recently. He was kind enough to suggest a few places to visit when I went to Brighton three years ago. I thought that it might be of interest.

Hi Andrew, Long reply here copied from my files - Roy’s (and my) favourite places in Brighton…

1. Brighton's Palace Pier, this and the Royal Pavilion, below, are the two iconic buildings of the city. It is a beautiful pier to look at, and the views back towards the city as you walk along it are spectacular in any weather.

2. The Royal Pavilion. This is a truly stunning and extraordinary building, and one that has endlessly fascinated me. A farmhouse, given the world’s greatest ever makeover by King George 1V, to impress his mistress, Maria Fitzherbert, and built with a “double skin” so that servants could move around unseen, it’s banqueting hall contains what was, at one time, the world’s largest chandelier, suspended above the dining table. Several members of the Royal family used to be too nervous to sit beneath! And guess in which PJ novel it comes crashing down...

3. Shoreham Port. This port has played such a part in Brighton’s history, going right back to its earliest roots as Brighthelmstone, a renowned smuggling village.

4. The Undercliff walk. There are actually two, one which begins at the Volks Railway terminus at Black Rock, the other which begins at Rottingdean. This second one is my favourite. I used to love roller-skating along a child, avoiding the pebbles and larger stones thrown over the sea wall during storms, and the chunks of chalk that lay broken in places. I particularly loved to come here – and still do – on a high tide during a high wind, when the sea breaks wildly, sending spray high into the air.

5. The Arches. These curious, spaces, half cave, half tunnel, occupied by fishermen, sailing cubs, cafes, restaurants, gift shops and art galleries along the seafront have endlessly fascinated me, and to me a quintessential part of Brighton seafront. On a fine summer’s day, nowhere is the city more alive than down here, underneath the arches…

6. Devil’s Dyke. Claimed to have been created by the Devil himself, in order to flood Brighton, which always gave it a frisson to me, as an impressionable child, the Devil’s Dyke – along with Firle Beacon a few miles to the East, and Seven Sisters further along – is one of the most beautiful places I have been to, anywhere in the world. Period. Drive over and around it, walk it, breathe it in, and just stare at it in wonder. I can never tire of it. My mother was a keen walker and I have so many happy memories of hiking over it on Sunday afternoons, summer and winter.

7. The Lanes. You cannot mention the word Brighton, without its many criminal associations springing to mind. Graham Greene’s Brighton Rock captured brilliantly the pre-War darkness of the place, and no where do you feel it more than wandering the labyrinth of narrow streets lined with shops. Once they were almost all antique furniture and bric-a-brac shops, but with the decline in fashion of so-called “brown furniture”, many of the shops now sell coins, antique and modern jewellery, and many have turned into cafes and boutiques. In former days The Lanes was the first place the police and homeowners alike would head to the morning after a burglary – and often as not recover goods.

8. Bohemia. A city is always in flux. Old favourites wither and occasional new places thrive and suddenly feel part of the city you have always known. Bohemia is like that – it is a great array of spaces, inside and outside, fun food, great cocktails and a nice attitude. As Brighton as a stick of rock.

9. Grand Hotel. She truly is the grand old duchess of Brighton, and with the recently revamped restaurant space, GB1, the lady has suddenly and highly successfully reinvented herself as one of the coolest venues in town! The IRA blew it up, but it came back even more majestic than ever. And you get a ringside view of one of Brighton’s most iconic sights – the rotting remains of the West Pier – another of my favourite childhood haunts.

10. English’s. Brighton has more restaurants than you can shake a pizza carton at, but for sheer character, none can match the timeless institution that is English’s. The whole place gives the impression that it is steadily falling down, and has been falling down for a hundred years, and will still be falling down in a hundred years time, by when the owners might have decided to give it a lick of paint and renew the carpet, but I hope not. It is perfect as it is. Sit outside one a summer’s day with a glass of cold Chablis and a plate of shellfish and feel the vibe of Brighton all around you. Sit inside on a winter’s eve, and feel the history of the city seeing through its walls.

I hope you have a wonderful time in and around the city! All my best, Peter.

Thank you for the time to share that @Meldrew2,, I'll keep it in mind for when/if I'm able to visit.

Just don't parade around in rainbow colours, it's one of 2 things (the other being whacky baccy and other things) that Brighton is reknowned for!
.. but then these things might be your bag & thus you will feel at home. Also if you're a student from any country in the world, are a 100% liberated individual, a has-been actor or actress 'resting' or homeless you will feel relaxed & comfortable & safe. I live 10 miles along the coast & last went to the dreadful place 15 years ago. Sadly Bournemouth my home town has gone the same way. As for parking! you're having a laugh.

OK, I'm talking early 2000 after our burglary, but The Lanes in Brighton is the only place in UK when in broad daylight I've not felt safe. As mentioned above, Hastings Police suggested we visit there looking in shop windows for items that had been stolen, something happened while looking at what I was pretty convinced was my 18ct gold ID bracelet, wife and I felt so apprehensive we headed for the pub and a stiff brandy. In the 60's and early 70's I would walk through Soho day or night and visit the Boots chemist in Picadilly Circus after midnight when the junkies were getting their methadone after visiting the late night junkies clinic, never felt threatened there but The Lanes - scary!

Brighton is a nice place my son lives along the road in Hove, Prepare to have your wallet raped for parking, you pay day and night, if you find somewhere to park, the council just want all your money. They even charge for Christmas day parking. Nice place shame about the council running it. As someone has previously said make sure you hotel has parking, read the small print as some say it but once you have booked in the small print they tell you parking is nearby, which means in a car park for another £20 a night. Yes iv'e been caught with that one, also parking available nearby but they are all full :eek: and meters.

I love the place, try to get there most years just to eat, look round the shops, walk along the seafront and enjoy the inevitable interesting cars and bikes that pass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom