Postal Strike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S17MMA

Car
Soon to be ML 270 CDI
I have searched my local news and national news for info and can not see any updates. I am waiting for my new log book to arrive and am worried it is going to get held up in the post.

And I cant sell my car with out it :devil:

Anyone got any news on when the postal strike and when normal service will resume? :dk:

Here. I went to the post office this morning and they told me that the only way that they could guarantee mail would be if I send it special delivery.:eek: . So as the letter was important, I was held to random and I had to pay £4.95 !!!!!

The guy in the post office pointed to five large sacks and told me that they hadn't bothered to collect them.

This lot should be all sacked, and the jobs should be given to the masses of unemployed out there.

The postal service has become truly sickening and stoppages / strikes are now happening evey few months. Disgraceful.

This whole business now needs to be opened up for the private competition to come in instead of continually holding the public and businesses to randsom.

Before anyone starts defending this lot, even on a good day, the postal service in my area (South London) is absolutely rubbish.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, post in my area is also appalling. I'm of the opinion that if you don't like something about your job - you find a new one. Recession or not. There are various fields where I can understand (Fire service etc) where it's not as easy to just change career - but the postal service?

If they did their jobs satsifactorally (sp?) in the first place, they might get more sympathy!

I'm just reminded of children demanding things off their parents.

I have just instructed my accounts staff to add a footnote on the bottom of any new invoices we send out asking that payment is made by debit card over the phone or BACS transfer otherwise my cashflow is gunna be non existent!:mad:

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above...

I was peed when I went to post office and paid for first class stamp yet they had the cheek to tell me they could not guarantee next day delivery, I said then why charge me the price of 1st class if they could not guarantee the service, he said i am welcome to use 2nd classed when i asked when that would get there he did'nt have a clue.

If they can not provide a service they should not be offering/ selling it! so now I have had no choice but to pay for a service I am not getting! :mad:

And I have two people coming to look at my car today and no log book so can't even sell the damn thing if I wanted to!

2 weeks I have been told to wait, and my adds have already gone onto Autotrader etc etc....

Oops!

Last edited:
that about sums it up... royal mail should join forces with camelot at least it then has an excuse for being a lottery..

I just cannot bear going into the post office and was chuffed to discover that I can tax the cars online or by phone and they sell stamps in Sainsburys.

There's always a queue, there's always a confused old boy who smells a little of pee. The old dears spend too long chatting and fiddling with their purses and the staff are always a bit offhand with me (nothing to do with the sighing and tutting I'll assume!)

Don't even get me started on the other crap that they sell there, I'll swear that the same bags of seeds and balls of wool were there when my Mum used to make me go in there with her in the 60's.

The nearest post office to me has a queue the whole length of it at lunchtime, sometimes out of the door. I found out why, last time I used it. After being served the guy behind the counter started trying to sell me insurance. I could hear the same going on either side :rolleyes:

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the strike, the end result is inevitably going to be that more big companies make alternative arrangements. So the PO permanently loses a load more more income ... how exactly is that going to help?

PO does my head in.

Now, in Edinburgh they have changed it to a ticket system so you get the ticket and then wait on some sofas (next to the smelly old boy! :crazy:) until your number is called out.

I prefer to queue, atleast you can see progress a bit more.

its like a bl00dy doctors surgery.

A national strikes is due in Nov i believe. :crazy:

PO does my head in.

Now, in Edinburgh they have changed it to a ticket system so you get the ticket and then wait on some sofas (next to the smelly old boy! :crazy:) until your number is called out.

I prefer to queue, atleast you can see progress a bit more.

its like a bl00dy doctors surgery.

A national strikes is due in Nov i believe. :crazy:

We have the same, a ticket system, goodness knows which brain box brought this in. Going in there is just a complete waste of time now.

We have the same, a ticket system, goodness knows which brain box brought this in. Going in there is just a complete waste of time now.

yeah the only good thing to come out of their "redesign" of the edinburgh Post Office is that they ahve installed some "self serve" things.

unfortuntaly last two times i've been there, they have had bits of paper on them saying "out of order".

they also dont work with overseas items.

Why are they striking? more money unfair working conditions? no final salery pensions? Lucky to be in work if you ask me, there are over two million who can't find work.

Trouble is, they way they are going the government will be forced to play their hand.... which will be no good for anyone.

Strike effects are still quite patchy.

For example, ordered Tax Disc online from DVLA Sunday night, delivered this morning

Sadly what the unions dont seem to have grasped is that by threatening strikes big customers of Royal Mail are now going elsewhere. The net result of this is that there will now have to be large scale redundancies so the many who are called out by the few will lose their jobs.

For too long now many postal workers have had it too easy. I just have to look at how many post office push bikes are parked up outside Wetherspoons and the betting offices at lunchtimes to see how easy a day these people have. Our postman said the other day that it was outrageous that he was now being asked to go back to the sorting office to help out after he has finished his round at lunchtime! Heaven forbid he should have to work a full eight hours.

These unions need to be stopped from holding the country, especially small companies to ransom like this. There is legislation in place to protect employee's and the day has long since gone when Unions were a good thing. If they think the public sympathise with them, they are wrong.

I used to work Chrismas holidays as a postie when I was a student.

It was a right laugh, bar and pooltables in the sorting office.

This was in the days when bed and breakfast owners could keep the doleys Giro cheques, I had a road full of these establishments and the owners got right stroppy with me when the cheques were delayed because of the Christmas post, I loved baiting those grabbing b@stards!

Last delivery on my round was a pub and the landlord would have a lunchtime pint on the bar in anticipation of my arrival.

Overtime in the sorting office in the afternoons.

I've often thought that it would be an ideal job if it paid enough.

I had a quick chat with my postie in the pub last weekend, he doesn't want to strike because he feels it will turn the public against the workforce. He added that last time they were on strike he ended up with just £43 per week -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom