Potent stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
Due to insomnia, I was watching TV in the early hours the other day. Happened upon one of those How It's Made type programs, where they were at an Italian liquorice manufacturer - supposedly one of the best in the world.

So, thinking it would be rude not to, and as a lover of liquorice, I got onto a popular, tax dodging retailer's website, and placed an order.

It arrived today, and wowzers! This stuff ain't your run of the mill fare from Mr Bassett. For a start, it's made from pure liquorice root, and it's hard and crunchy! Granted, the similar appearance to rat droppings might not appeal to all, but this stuff is potent. So very different to what I'm used to.
20230728_134526.jpgIMG-20230728-WA0006.jpeg

Due to insomnia, I was watching TV in the early hours the other day. Happened upon one of those How It's Made type programs, where they were at an Italian liquorice manufacturer - supposedly one of the best in the world.

So, thinking it would be rude not to, and as a lover of liquorice, I got onto a popular, tax dodging retailer's website, and placed an order.

It arrived today, and wowzers! This stuff ain't your run of the mill fare from Mr Bassett. For a start, it's made from pure liquorice root, and it's hard and crunchy! Granted, the similar appearance to rat droppings might not appeal to all, but this stuff is potent. So very different to what I'm used to.
View attachment 144008View attachment 144009
Ah im also a lover of licorice! Whenever im in Italy i always buy boxes of those small licorice "pellets". My Italian friend who introduced me to them said they use them when it's very hot. Apparently they raise blood pressure (which i think licorice does) which apparently helps the body cope with the heat. Now this may be another Italian concept along the lines of cervicale or colpo d'aria!

Ive just got back from the Netherlands (for the Vierdaagse walk) and have been consuming a lot of their salted licorice pastilles - yum!

Reactions: JHS
Ah im also a lover of licorice! Whenever im in Italy i always buy boxes of those small licorice "pellets". My Italian friend who introduced me to them said they use them when it's very hot. Apparently they raise blood pressure (which i think licorice does) which apparently helps the body cope with the heat. Now this may be another Italian concept along the lines of cervicale or colpo d'aria!

Ive just got back from the Netherlands (for the Vierdaagse walk) and have been consuming a lot of their salted licorice pastilles - yum!
I recommend this as well:

liquirizia.jpg
Technically it's probably classed as medicine!

Oh, that looks interesting! I wonder if it's available in UK.🤔

A quick search shows it, or similar, is available. I feel another purchase forthcoming. 😆
I got mine from the UK - Whiskey Exchange i think from memory, after the bottle i bought in Italy ran out. Ive still got a small bottle of 60% alcohol (120 proof) anisette i bought in Sicily about 10 years ago - you literally need a few drops in an espresso, and it boils instantly. :oops:

There is a licorice-flavoured Sambuca, too ... very nice indeed, especially with ice.

It's a brown colour ... extra licorice!

Our eldest daughter is married to a Hollander and she has strict instructions to bring copious quantities of Dubbel zout drops when she comes to visit us. She is due in 3 weeks!!!!
In the meantime, youngest daughter, who is just back from a visit to her sister, is visiting us on Sunday. I believe that she comes bearing gifts!.

Our eldest daughter is married to a Hollander and she has strict instructions to bring copious quantities of Dubbel zout drops when she comes to visit us. She is due in 3 weeks!!!!
In the meantime, youngest daughter, who is just back from a visit to her sister, is visiting us on Sunday. I believe that she comes bearing gifts!.
Bit of a tangent but i was very surprised how cheap food was in the Netherlands. I thought they had suffered with 20% inflation at one point, but food certainly much, much cheaper (and better quality fruit and veg) than in the UK. I normally stock up on jars of apple mush as i call it (appelmoes). I cleared out our local supermarket courtesy of the cavernous S212 boot!

Oh, that looks interesting! I wonder if it's available in UK.🤔

A quick search shows it, or similar, is available. I feel another purchase forthcoming. 😆
Its very nice neat, or splashed on some good vanilla ice cream. 👍

When I was a chorister, IMPS were sworn by to clear the airways - liquorice and menthol. These are the same thing:

These are hard very strong liquorice pellets in a handy little tin. This Bel Canto liquorice is especially good for singers. As per the name Bel Canto it opens the throat, so if you are a singer or a public speaker or just have a sore throat, or tickly cough, these are ideal for you. Lots of people just love the taste and swear by them!! They come as tiny little pieces of hard liquorice in a mini-tin, perfect for carrying in your pocket.

Last edited:
They are indeed tasty, as are the Salmiak Pastillen that I got addicted to as a boy in post war Germany.
I am now also partial to liquorice comfits.
a little treat for a Friday - 4 types here! My artistic talents know no bounds!

licorice.jpg

Reactions: JHS
They used to be called 'Imperial Imps' when I was a kid and I saw them for sale just last week in this sweet shop in Bristol . Different name but same thing.

I do like Liquorice , but my taste are the more 'soft eating' type , which is more glucose sugar than liquorice.

I discovered when working in the Scandinavian countries that Liquorice is taken very seriously up there . Thats the place for the lovers of the stuff to search for a fix.

Last edited:
Isn't that just black Sambuca?
Probably V V similar . Reminds me of when black sambuca was a new thing in my local and it was slightly more expensive than the clear stuff . All the 'kid's' went from regular Sam shot's to knecking the black stuff because it gave them a bigger 'buzz' .

After months of witnessing this Buffoonery I aske the bartender to hand me a bottle of both and showed them all the label . Black Sambuca they were pedalling had less alcohol in it than the clear stuff. How we laughed.

I was young, dumb , numb and full of c*m once .

Those were the days .

"We thought they'd never end"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom