Potent stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit of a tangent but i was very surprised how cheap food was in the Netherlands. I thought they had suffered with 20% inflation at one point, but food certainly much, much cheaper (and better quality fruit and veg) than in the UK. I normally stock up on jars of apple mush as i call it (appelmoes). I cleared out our local supermarket courtesy of the cavernous S212 boot!
People don’t realise how massive a fruit and veg producer the Netherlands is. Don’t know why it developed that way: reclaimed land and glasshouses perhaps?

That said, Dutch food inflation was 13% in June 2023, but below our 17%.

It’s still the fuel and interest costs

People don’t realise how massive a fruit and veg producer the Netherlands is. Don’t know why it developed that way: reclaimed land and glasshouses perhaps?

That said, Dutch food inflation was 13% in June 2023, but below our 17%.

It’s still the fuel and interest costs
I got an interesting viewpoint from my BIL from Guernsey. His family made a lot of money in tomatoes, and it seems on Guernsey they used seaweed as fertiliser (the first to I believe) and with the greenhouses could get two crops/year which is why they were so successful. Then it changed almost overnight (within one season) when the Dutch growers started to use heated greenhouses and flooded the market with cheaper produce as they could also extend the growing season/number of crops. It’s actually sad to see on Guernsey all the old disused greenhouses. From that point Guernsey focussed on the finance industry. Which is what my BIL did until his recent retirement. That’s my recollection from what my BIL mentioned anyway.

Even eating out was much cheaper though. Fuel was about the same. Interestingly though they have real issues as we do with house prices and availability so it’s not all rosey by any stretch.

I got an interesting viewpoint from my BIL from Guernsey. His family made a lot of money in tomatoes, and it seems on Guernsey they used seaweed as fertiliser (the first to I believe) and with the greenhouses could get two crops/year which is why they were so successful. Then it changed almost overnight (within one season) when the Dutch growers started to use heated greenhouses and flooded the market with cheaper produce as they could also extend the growing season/number of crops. It’s actually sad to see on Guernsey all the old disused greenhouses. From that point Guernsey focussed on the finance industry. Which is what my BIL did until his recent retirement. That’s my recollection from what my BIL mentioned anyway.

Even eating out was much cheaper though. Fuel was about the same. Interestingly though they have real issues as we do with house prices and availability so it’s not all rosey by any stretch.
The Guernsey Tom - guernseydonkey.com

All pretty sensible stuff. The Guernsey disadvantage was straightforward. Although it’s lovely and sunny, it’s on an island, so everything has to be shipped off at significant expense.

While the Netherlands has a lovely motorway network AND thousands upon thousands of trucks delivering kit to the intercontinental Port and looking for return loads that appeal to the denizens of Northern Europe.

No surprise that the folks of Guernsey turned to hosting and entertaining the offshore financial community instead of of planting delicious toms.

I’m still annoyed that they uprooted all the orchards and market gardens of Fulham I used to enjoy 150 years ago….

Christ! How old are you then??? 😁
It’s terrible. I remember it as if t’were yesterday. Hundreds of acres of market gardens along the river at Fulham and Hammersmith, growing fruit and veg for London. The stench ! All that horse manure from the London streets, the stink from the tanneries and wool processing in Wandsworth, and the filth in the Thames before Bazalgette built the sewers in the 1850’s.

Things was different when I started work. People forget how quickly things change.

Christ! How old are you then??? 😁
Any rumours that @MikeInWimbledon personally started the Great Fire are totally untrue! :banana:

Edited as I falsely accused @Darrell . He was responsible for the Plague.......

Last edited:
Any rumours that @MikeInWimbledon personally started the Great Fire are totally untrue! :banana:
Edited as I falsely accused @Darrell . He was responsible for the Plague.......
That was Thomas Farriner in Pudding Lane.

I told him not to fall asleep after slipping that bun in the oven with so much dry wood nearby.

Had a bottle of black Sambuca the other day. So yummy! Trouble is, it was too yummy, if that's possible, and I consumed the entire bottle in the space of a few hours. Oops!🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom