Potential C63 owner...does anyone regret buying one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've owned mine for a year now and I have no regrets in buying it. Like anything it has positive and negative points...

The shear grunt of the 6.2 is something that I don't think will grow old. As others have said, it really doesn't ever need to be full throttle to show how much of a beast it really is. Considering it's basically a family car (I have the estate) the way it gets up and goes is something that really makes me smile each time I get in. There are no dead spots in the power either, even dropping the throttle at motorway speeds and it's enough to shock!

The styling is subtle; which for me is a positive as it means that to the average person it's just a Merc estate. You will get nods from those who know about it when filling up but otherwise you can ride about attracting little attention.

The noise of the 6.2 is superb and probably my favourite thing about the car. It makes me drive differently; leaning on the throttle more just to get my fix! You don't have to be driving fast to hear this, in fact some of the nicest noises are at quite low speeds - e.g. 5th to 4th in manual usually produces a crack from the exhaust and 2nd to 1st when stopping at a junction after a hard run will do the same. The burbles on overrun is something silly from a family wagon!

Others have said the seats are comfy, I'm not so sure as you do sit quite high but that's just a personal preference. The interior is okay, nothing to much to really shout about (W204) and compared to my other vehicle (BMW 4 series) the satnav / comand is pretty frustrating and not that intuitive.

The gearbox is perfectly suitable in comfort, certainly for just normal everyday driving. The electronics make the throttle a little grabby every now and then, especially on speed bumps. Manual mode is fun for when I'm in the car alone and personally I've never found it to not shift when I ask it to. The other modes (S and S+) are a bit pointless for me as for the road they are too extreme, often holding the higher gears even when I have settled at 60mph. I find myself either in comfort or manual. Launch control is hilarious but ultimately a little pointless!

The brakes feel fairly wooden but I guess it's not aimed at the track day market so I can forgive that. Fuel costs are obviously high but then you would expect that of course! To be fair, it's not as thirsty as I thought it might be but then it's my wife's everyday car so she is much more economical with it.

Reliability wise it's had nothing major wrong but I certainly wouldn't run one without a warranty as the repair bills would be huge. I had the DRLs and wiring replaced under warranty after a few months and the bill would have been around £800.

So... regrets? Not from me. It's party piece is the engine and the sheer hilarity of the acceleration/noise. Otherwise it's a fairly normal looking Merc. Do it... you won't be disappointed.

in 12 Months, no regrets - C63 PPP Coupe

It's all about the sound, and the fact it's completely understated is a bonus

Cheers all, I'm on the hunt for the perfect Black coupe!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom