Potential GLC Buyer - some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dingle232

Car
Volvo V60
I am looking at potentially buying my first Merc and would really appreciate any guidance/advice from existing owners in terms of if there’s anything in particular to aim for or avoid:

1 - The car I am looking at will be either a GLC220d or GLC250d - the latter seems to be slightly cheaper than the former I am looking at - any particular reason? Is the 250 a better option than the 220?

2 - I understand that the newer cars have a different, 2.0L engine than previously yet all the adverts I have seen mention that the engine size is 2.1L - is this the new variant?

3 - Are there any particular issues with the car that I should look out for? I have read about judder on the steering - is this an issue and can it be resolved?

4 - What are the in car SatNav’s like? I understand that most are Garmin ones but that some are COMAND? Is one better than the other?

Thanks on advance for any help.

Thanks - all of the ones I am looking at are the 2.2 so therefore the old ones. What are they like reliability wise compared to the newer 2.0?

Also, roughly when did the 2.0 start getting fitted to them - the ones I am looking at with the 2.2 are all 18 plate so I assume that the newer ones will only be on virtually new cars.

Thank you.

That figures as every one for sale at that age is listed as either 2.1 or 2.2.

What's the reliability like for that engine?

It's been in various models with various different power outputs for a good few years now. It's at the end of it's life cycle from what I understand so I imagine most issues would've been dealt with by now but I can't really comment on it's reliability.

The Garmin sat nav does the job, it's by no means great but it will get you from A to B. If I had the choice, I would take Comand over the Garmin.

Been around for so long in so many models most of the problems have been ironed out. Problems with timing gear-its at the rear of the engine, EGR valve, water pumps, injectors ---- when first introduced.

Thanks that's useful. Appears that engine will be my only choice so am keen to understand from others how reliable a unit it is. More widely, are there any common issues with it, or the gearbox and car in general?

Is it worth going for the 250 over the 220?

Thanks again.

Are you looking for a new GLC? With the updated vehicle on the way there are run-out cars available at good prices. We've just bought a new GLC 220d Urban on a very good deal.

Are you looking for a new GLC? With the updated vehicle on the way there are run-out cars available at good prices. We've just bought a new GLC 220d Urban on a very good deal.

I was actually not thinking of a new one but could be tempted for the right deal. What's the spec on the urban like?

I'm a bit lost with Merc's trim hierarchy

The 250 is cheaper as a used car due to its new P11D value and emissions tax band, the 220 being the most economical to buy and own. 250 is 200+hp and a very good all round engine, dont read much about troubles with them unless they have been taxis or badly maintained. The GLC will not receive the new 2.0 litre diesel engine until the face lift this coming July/August. 7G/9G gearbox is also bulletproof as long as it 37500 mile service schedule is respected.

My tuppence on the steering issues....The steering judder issue I think is a load of pants and just people looking for something to whinge about because 'my (2wd probably) Tiguan/Q3 never did that...'. All big AWD cars suffer from some form of transmission or drive shaft shunt at load speeds regardless of the system (centre diff/haldex/etc) in use, even the current L405 RR, Velar, and even Macan suffer from it in certain on and off road conditions. People complain mostly of crabbing on lock at low speeds and apparently changing to tyres with softer side walls improves it. Don't buy an AWD vehicle with big wheels and low-pro high performance summer tyres if you don't want that characteristic, the crabbing is a side effect of having steering geometry set up to give more sporty on road handling, meaning at low speeds very little rubber is in contact with the ground at full lock, and overly firm rubber causes the wheel(s) to skip rather than roll. Another reason why SUV's tend to eat tyres.

The model line is the run out of this version, Urban is the base followed by Sport which adds different alloy wheels and a few trinkets, followed by AMG night edition which is dechromed and with 19" wheels as standard. However the Premium Plus pack is available on all models(and it is a premium) gives you panoramic glass roof, Command navigation, memory seats and steering column, ambient lighting and a few other bits and really adds to the premium feel, but its pricey. Cars with out it sell for much less used it seems, so the price premium may be worth it. I see quite a few 220d Sport models with Premium plus and driving assistance pack advertised with good OTR prices.... might be worth a good look around.

The 250 is cheaper as a used car due to its new P11D value and emissions tax band, the 220 being the most economical to buy and own. 250 is 200+hp and a very good all round engine, dont read much about troubles with them unless they have been taxis or badly maintained. The GLC will not receive the new 2.0 litre diesel engine until the face lift this coming July/August. 7G/9G gearbox is also bulletproof as long as it 37500 mile service schedule is respected.

My tuppence on the steering issues....The steering judder issue I think is a load of pants and just people looking for something to whinge about because 'my (2wd probably) Tiguan/Q3 never did that...'. All big AWD cars suffer from some form of transmission or drive shaft shunt at load speeds regardless of the system (centre diff/haldex/etc) in use, even the current L405 RR, Velar, and even Macan suffer from it in certain on and off road conditions. People complain mostly of crabbing on lock at low speeds and apparently changing to tyres with softer side walls improves it. Don't buy an AWD vehicle with big wheels and low-pro high performance summer tyres if you don't want that characteristic, the crabbing is a side effect of having steering geometry set up to give more sporty on road handling, meaning at low speeds very little rubber is in contact with the ground at full lock, and overly firm rubber causes the wheel(s) to skip rather than roll. Another reason why SUV's tend to eat tyres.

The model line is the run out of this version, Urban is the base followed by Sport which adds different alloy wheels and a few trinkets, followed by AMG night edition which is dechromed and with 19" wheels as standard. However the Premium Plus pack is available on all models(and it is a premium) gives you panoramic glass roof, Command navigation, memory seats and steering column, ambient lighting and a few other bits and really adds to the premium feel, but its pricey. Cars with out it sell for much less used it seems, so the price premium may be worth it. I see quite a few 220d Sport models with Premium plus and driving assistance pack advertised with good OTR prices.... might be worth a good look around.

That’s a really useful real-life take on the crabbing issue. I wanted a GLC when we were looking to replace my wife’s car last month but the scare stories of crabbing eventually put me off even trying one. Which in hindsight was perhaps daft. We ended up in an Audi without even trying the Mercedes. My point being.....it’s easy to get swayed by all the internet stories about how bad it is. Posts like this give some balance to it all.

FWIW I think the GLC is the best looking SUV in its class. And crabbing aside, seems to have a decent reputation for reliability. I wish I’d tried one for myself now!!!!

To the OP....good luck with your search and report back!

Thanks for taking the time to write that it's really very helpful. The 250 is the one I would favour but, as you suggest, the Premium in the 220 for broadly the same money may be the way to go.

I echo your thoughts about the alleged crabbing but until I have driven one and tried it then I am prepared to reserve judgement. I did also consider a Q5 but, equally, there seems to be pretty unequivocal advice not to buy a used VAG with a DSG gearbox.

I plan to have a look at a few GLC's this week if I can.

There is dealer fix for the crabbing on non AMG cars, being done under warranty. Another thing to watch, depending on the year, is the road tax. From April 17 the tax can be either £145 or £450 per annum dependent on RRP cost when new.

Without getting into an argument, crabbing on the GLC was only reported on GLCs destined to drive on the left hand side of the road (primarily UK/Oz), which makes a mockrey of the notion that all such vehicles do it. In fact, apparently the new UK ones will not do it, because merc has fixed the issue. I came from an XC60 haldex 4-wheel drive 18 inch summer tyres, to a GLC 4-wheel drive 18 inch summer tyre (not low profile), and the problem was very obvious within a week of changing, buying as I did in late autumn/early winter.

To the OP, besides the above, which although annoying wasn't a severe issue for me, the only "dislike" I have of my GL250D, having had it for approaching 4 years, is that I find it very slow off the mark. I mean things like trying to merge into a busy roundabout from stationary, or the likes. There is a definite 1/2-3/4 second delay between hitting the throttle and much of anything happening. I'm told the fact it is an auto box (my first auto) is a factor, but even now it still annoys me, and I can't imagine every auto car is inflicted similary. In such conditions you need to hit the throttle a moment before you actual think you need to take off, which is all well and fine as long as nothing changes in that 1/2-3/4 of a second.

That aside, I've found it to be a quiet (on the inside), reliable, very comfortable, well kitted (premium) arm-chair experience, perhaps enhanced by my addition of air suspension. I'm a low mileage guy, so only at 20K in those 3.5 years.

Thanks - all of the ones I am looking at are the 2.2 so therefore the old ones. What are they like reliability wise compared to the newer 2.0?

Also, roughly when did the 2.0 start getting fitted to them - the ones I am looking at with the 2.2 are all 18 plate so I assume that the newer ones will only be on virtually new cars.

Thank you.

From June production, so they haven’t actually arrived yet. You’d need to order a brand new one for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What remains unclear is exactly when the new [ anti-crab] front suspension uprights were introduced to the current model production process. The date I have come across is 31/08/2018 which, if true, is not that long ago but this date may be plant dependent ? The dealer retrofit "cure" is well documented. The question remains as to to whether Mercedes address this problem proactively or after the fact for models affected ?

I have a 19 plate, built in March 2019, haven't detected any steering issues to date, even during our 'glorious' summer. As far as I understand it the 2 litre diesel will only be fitted to the facelifted GLC's - available soon.
I have had a number of c class 2.1 diesels which have all been very reliable.

I have just switched from a 63 plate cls 350d shootingbrake to an 18 plate glc350d. as this is not currently available new. for traction and off the line it's by far the best version of the 350d. I have owned , although only 258bhp. the 4 matic makes a huge difference and knocks .4s off the 0-60time compared to the CLS. with 265bhp
The second hand values are about the same between the 250d and 350d. mine is the premium plus with command,etc. would like to have had android go and car play, but only an option on the cars with the Garmin on the new command in 2019 cars, the burmeister 590W surround system is amazing, better than the Harmon I have had before.
The crabbing is only fixed if you get the tyres changed under warranty, and mine does a little a slow speed when on full lock it at normal speeds no issues on the 20inch summer tyres. the fix is to switch from summer to all weather, so must be a compound or tread pattern issue.

watch the tax as already stated £450 per year, for 4 years, on any car over 40k list price when new!

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom