Potential new Mercedes Owner looking for advice - C250d or C300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenko456

Car
Merc c class coupe
Hi All,

Looking to the collective experience of the forum for some advice...

Im currently in the market for a C class coupe. I've test driven a C220d AMG Line which I really liked, but do fancy a tad more power.

Obviously the 250d is a step up, but how are people finding the C300 (which can be had at reasonable prices). I don't do a massive amount of miles (7k / yr), so Diesel is not an absolute must. Would interested on views of real world mpg for the C300, and general running costs / reliability. Also, views on servicing intervals of both the C250d and C300.

Any info much appreciated.

Paul.

Hello and welcome , good luck with your search

Our C250d is averaging mid 40's mpg over a mixture of motorway and general running about. On a steady run it will do about 50mpg. 600Nm is a very useful amount of torque to gave available and it does pull nicely. Really like the car which we've had since March 2017.

Given the current 'pressure' on vehicles with Diesel engines the C300 may be a better choice, but it won't pull in the same way as the C250d. That said, there won't be much in it on the stopwatch only in the way it feels to drive. The C300 may well be quieter.

That you don't do many miles per year, any differences in fuel economy between the two are probably going to minor in terms of cost.

Though they look good, given the state of our roads I'd recommend avoiding 19" rims. Our fronts have twice needed straightening.

Many thanks for your replies.......

Id strongly suggest with that annual mileage , go for petrol .

Our C250d is averaging mid 40's mpg over a mixture of motorway and general running about. On a steady run it will do about 50mpg. 600Nm is a very useful amount of torque to gave available and it does pull nicely. Really like the car which we've had since March 2017.

Given the current 'pressure' on vehicles with Diesel engines the C300 may be a better choice, but it won't pull in the same way as the C250d. That said, there won't be much in it on the stopwatch only in the way it feels to drive. The C300 may well be quieter.

That you don't do many miles per year, any differences in fuel economy between the two are probably going to minor in terms of cost.

Though they look good, given the state of our roads I'd recommend avoiding 19" rims. Our fronts have twice needed straightening.

500Nm

I find my c250d cabrio with 19s very stiff and bumpy. I dont think its suited to such large wheels.
I'm getting high 40s mpg wise but I only tootle around in e mode.
The power I feel is ok and pulls well but doesnt last long and is noisy(its a cabrio).

I'm coming from an older RR Sport and a 63amg so this is down spec.

The car is a very very nice car.

I had an 2018 c250d sport. It came with 17" wheels on so was a very comfy ride. I got around 45 mpg and more on the motorway. Sold it with under 5,000 miles on for an audi (fancied something quicker) and instantly regretted it. Just gone back to a c class. I don't do much mileage but it did get a motorway run every week or so with it being the diesel. I think the c300 is slightly quicker but the 250d wasn't sluggish.

Oops! :)

500Nm is still a fair bit of torque, though not as much as 600Nm....

The petrol C300 I was about to buy got sold the day before. Appears C300's are somewhat of a rarity. But pleased to say I just picked up a C250d coupe Last night...very well specced with Premium pack, tan leather, and a leather dash (which I really like) and from Mercedes in Basingstoke who were an absolute delight to deal with.

C300 255 bhp version has terrible economy compared to the BMW 330i, but is fairly reasonable on the motorway with 9 gears @42-44mpg
Around town it's 19-22mpg or 24mpg driving like a granny.

Its quick mid gear, but slow off the line compared to my former C200. The 255 bhp C300 isn't slow, but doesn't shoot off the line. This is made much worse if you absolutely dump and stomp on the throttle in launch mode style, then the car does nothing for a split second (C200 would have shot off already)

However, much worse is the CLA45 AMG (not the current one) I had as a loaner for a week, that delay is worse than C300

The former C300 (about pre autumn 2018) might be different

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom