Potential new owner - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leopardlady

Car
chrysler grand voyager
Hi I am thinking of getting a ml270 7 seater. I have never had a mercedes before. I have my eye on a coupe but wondered if you could help me with a couple of queries.

Firstly did they do this model in white?

secondly after research it is commonly recommended to buy a late model made in Austria. How would I find out if it is made in Austria or not, please?

Hope these aren't stupid questions, but I am trying to make an informed purchase.

Hi I am thinking of getting a ml270 7 seater. I have never had a mercedes before. I have my eye on a coupe but wondered if you could help me with a couple of queries.

Firstly did they do this model in white?

secondly after research it is commonly recommended to buy a late model made in Austria. How would I find out if it is made in Austria or not, please?

Hope these aren't stupid questions, but I am trying to make an informed purchase.

Hi, i have seen a white one but it was quite an obvious repaint so to the best of my knowledge i don`t think they did . . .

i`m sure someone will correct me if i`m wrong but i think all ML270`s are Austrian made but the facelift from 2002 is much better than the earlier model.

There`s plenty of info on here regarding ML`s and the various things to look out for which i found invaluable when i was looking for one so my advice would be to have a good read up

good luck in your search!

from a German site TRANSLATION :- :dk::dk:

The M-Class was first built only in Tuscaloosa, Alabama later production was both there and in Graz.

The determination of whether the vehicle was built in USA or Austria is on the chassis number. easy to check in the lower left corner of the windshield.

If the vehicle identification number. contain an A, the vehicle in USA built.

Example: WDC1631131A ...........

Originates the vehicle in Granz built containing Fahrzeug-Ident.Nr. an X

Example: WDC161113X ....................

Thanks thats very informative. I've been researching for about a month now, and I'm sure theres loads more to learn!!!!

I don't know for definite but there are a number in white. It seems more common in Australia and South Africa for white ones but I believe there are a few around in the UK but I have never seen one in the flesh or for sale. The majority I have seen are silver or black. There are lots of blue, with the odd few grey and bronze, but white seems pretty rare, so it may take a good while to find a white one especially if your hankering for a rarer 7 seater.

There is lots of info on this site about ML270's and what to watch out for and common problems so do a search and you will find all sorts of good tips and info.

In terms of build quality the consensus is that the facelift model ( circa 2002 and later) is the better vehicle.

Cars after 1st quarter 04 should be built with galvanised panels ( previous to this they weren't - even tho every other vehicle manufacturer seemed to be), however when I was looking for mine even the late 04 and 05's had rust bubbles and wheel arches, I was after a later model for the galvanised panels but decided they were no better than the 2003 model I ended up with.

Mercs are renowned to have rust issues especially wheel arches, areas around the bout handle etc.

Ml270's have a reputation of being money pits, my experience is that they can be but if your handy with the tools and are happy to do most jobs yourself the parts don't tend to be as expensive as you might think and you can save yourself a fortune in labour costs.

However go in with your eyes open, I bought what I still consider to be a very good example with 73k ( most are around 100k to 130k) and I am constantly finding niggles and issues to put right ( I am intending to keep it a long time so am trying to get it in as good nick as possible ) if I had paid to have an Indy do the work I have done in 9 months of ownership I would estimate it would have cost me at least 3 grand rather than the £800 it has cost (with more stuff still to do) and that's without the common big problems of inlet manifold and injector leak issues,which will no doubt bite me at some point in the future.

I don't want to put you off as I love mine, but just be aware. As I say if your handy with the tools go for it, but swat up as much as you can on common problems and give the car a good thorough check.

Happy hunting and good luck .
Moz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom