Potential New Owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kgaff88

Car
2000 (X) CL 500
Hi,

I've joined this forum for some help, hopefully. I have a few questions about a car I'm really interested in...

2000 Mercedes CL500 W215
76k miles
Mot has no advisories
Near perfect bodywork after the owner has had it for 5 years (father in law)

I've been offered to buy it for 4k...is this a good deal?

Also, I'm a huge lover of the V8 in mercedes so I'd be looking to straight pipe the car after purchase so I can hear it!

What are peoples thoughts.. Good or bad?

Thank you in advance

Hello and welcome . it's a 21 year old car that was aimed at rich people 21 years ago . No reason why it should not be a good 'un at just 76k miles. Just go in with eyes wide open. Do your research.

Starting here will probably turn out to be a good move on your part. 👍

P.S , forget the straight pipe thing until you know it's worth spending money on.

So the car was in your family so to speak?

If your FIL had no issues with it, and obviously not selling it due to some big repair bill looming, then go for it. In fact buying a car you know is a safer buy than buying from a dealer (let alone buying from a private seller).

No old MB is going to be perfect and they can cost serious money to keep good,but the car is a known vehicle,so I would go for it,the V8 is a superb engine.

No such thing as a cheap MB, Have just spent around £5K on my 190B, total brake (drums) overhaul, prop shaft work, new kingpins etc, rear axel oil leak and many small items neglected by the last fixer.

Just buy it and enjoy it whenever you drive it , sounds like it will be a good car and so much less risky than buying it from a dealer or privately as others have said. Doesn’t mean that there is not a potential for some big bills but that the case with any car 😂

Definitely read up on the suspension (I’m not sure which one they had in that era: air, hydraulic?) as it could mean big bills.

Thanks all, apologies in my delay replying.

I know the car is solid as he is only the 2nd owner and has looked after it.

Has anyone ever straight piped one of these? Looking for rough costs etc.

I've still not bought it yet by the way...

Thanks all, apologies in my delay replying.

I know the car is solid as he is only the 2nd owner and has looked after it.

Has anyone ever straight piped one of these? Looking for rough costs etc.

I've still not bought it yet by the way...
Straight pipes might cost £200-£1000 depending who you use and what you do. Take care though as it might end up sounding horrible! That wonderful exhaust sound on newer AMGs takes years of careful research to achieve. Simply cutting off the exhaust could lead to very antisocial cold starts, loud drone at motorway speeds, and a complete racket on heavy throttle, all of which could be hard to live with.

So...

I bought the car and the beauty is on my driveway!

Still looking to straight pipe it, are there any suggestions?

Welcome. Pictures?

I have the same engine, I did a rear muffler delete (centre resonator still in place) & whilst it sounded good on the outside it droned like hell in the cabin, trust me it goes right through you & makes any journey a bit of a chore. I ended up fitting J-pipes to cancel out the drone & adding some sports rear mufflers. Straight pipe just sounds like the exhaust has fallen off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom