Potential new W212 or CLS owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B3MX5

Car
S212 E350cdi 265
Hi all,

I'm considering either a W212 or CLS, however my reason for change is quite specific. I currently have an Alpina B3 touring (e46) and we're expecting our second child. Since we're wanting to use rear-facing seats for both children, first child is 18months, and the second is due literally any day now (gulp!), we can't fit 2 child seats in the B3's rear. We need not so much big space in the back, but deep leg room, something 3 series are pretty useless at! It was fine with one child as it could go behind the passenger seat, two's another story though...

An E class estate is the obvious choice, however I was wondering if a CLS, particularly a Shooting Brake would have sufficient room, I was wondering if any members have either with rear facing car seats? Any opinion would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

I can't speak for the CLS but definitely a thumbs up from me on the 212. Having just taken delivery of one last week the interior is vast. Rear seat space is unbelievable.

With the new E Class imminent there's some amazing deals to be had on the outgoing model.

Congratulations on the anticipated arrival of your 2 child. Always a very exciting time that puts all other aspects of life into perspective. Good luck and I hope all goes well. :thumb:

Take care, Ant. ;)

http://www.contractcars.com/car-leasing/mercedes/e220-night-edition-leasing/

http://www.contractcars.com/car-lea...ing-brake-lease/#alternative-payment-profiles

Have you considered the GLC?

http://www.contractcars.com/car-leasing/mercedes/glc-lease/

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, if I was you I'd take your b3 to an MB dealer and try YOUR seats in a CLS SB and an eclass. Then you'll know if it works for the seats you have.

cheers, Steve

If my experience is anything to go by, I'd say the quality of the marque, engineering etc will mean nothing. Cubbyholes, cup holders, rear entertainment are what counts. This is where MPV's come into their own. We got a touran 10 y ago. Still running fine. Fits 3 car seats.

E estate is the daddy ofcourse but many find the size a bit unwieldy for supermarket runs (aka nappy runs).

Thanks guys, all great help!

Ant - I'd discounted leasing as I thought it's work out too much per year, my B3 has appreciated over the time I've had it so the idea of several £k was too much to get my head round! But those are competitive, and my annual car allowance would cover them.

Steve - I did that the other day and went to Mercedes Whitefield, they were really helpful but I stupidly turned up without a seat with me. Definitely need to go back.

Tylerdurden - I know what you mean, and my car will probably be used less than my wife's car. She's got a Civic which is oddly roomier than my car. She's vowed against an MPV for herself, but could be persuaded into a Tiguan-sized Crossover so that may be the option.

Good luck with it. The other thing in the pro column for an MPV's is the 7 seats are a blessing when the kids hit nursery/school cos there is a lot of ferrying kids and friends to and from parties, after school clubs etc.

Hi all,

I'm considering either a W212 or CLS, however my reason for change is quite specific. I currently have an Alpina B3 touring (e46) and we're expecting our second child. Since we're wanting to use rear-facing seats for both children, first child is 18months, and the second is due literally any day now (gulp!), we can't fit 2 child seats in the B3's rear. We need not so much big space in the back, but deep leg room, something 3 series are pretty useless at! It was fine with one child as it could go behind the passenger seat, two's another story though...

An E class estate is the obvious choice, however I was wondering if a CLS, particularly a Shooting Brake would have sufficient room, I was wondering if any members have either with rear facing car seats? Any opinion would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Take a look at the 3 series GT it has masses of space.

Regards

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom