Potential Scotland West Coast & Cairngorms Trip in September: Madness or Bliss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Having had our planned overland motorcycle trip to Italy scuppered by a plethora of different travel restrictions, testing requirements and isolation rules for the second consecutive year, we're considering a trip up the west coast of Scotland (Dumfries, Loch Awe, Fort Augustus, Ullapool) and back via the Cairngorms in mid-September.

I know this is very much a piece of damp string question, and that the old adage of "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes" will always apply, but what is the typical weather to expect at that time of year in those areas? I'm reconciled to it raining at some point during the trip, but don't fancy 9 or 10 days riding in the pi$$ing rain and not getting to enjoy the scenery.

Any thoughts / experiences?

Having had our planned overland motorcycle trip to Italy scuppered by a plethora of different travel restrictions, testing requirements and isolation rules for the second consecutive year, we're considering a trip up the west coast of Scotland (Dumfries, Loch Awe, Fort Augustus, Ullapool) and back via the Cairngorms in mid-September.

I know this is very much a piece of damp string question, and that the old adage of "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes" will always apply, but what is the typical weather to expect at that time of year in those areas? I'm reconciled to it raining at some point during the trip, but don't fancy 9 or 10 days riding in the pi$$ing rain and not getting to enjoy the scenery.

It really is difficult to predict this far out. We’ve been up there in November and cycled in T-shirts, been up there in June and had wet gear on and off every five minutes. Beautiful part of the world. Stop for a sandwich and check out the beach at Mellon Udrigle, stunning place.

Having done a lot of biking in Scotland in the past you have to take your chance; myself, I've been very lucky and have usually had fabulous weather but as you are well aware it can be totally different.

The secret is, have separate waterproofs and don't rely on your Cordura stuff which once wet takes ages to dry.

I have an all in one waterproof coverall I used, it rolls up very small and is flexible and doesn't restrict at all, it easily goes on over the top of your Cordura stuff.

This is the type of thing, it even has a hood which rolls up in the collar and makes a lovely seal between your helmet, so no rain down your neck :)

( I must divulge an interest; I run said company) :)

Good point. I had the "pleasure" of riding in the Highlands in peak midge season - June/July - about 25 years ago, but my (admittedly limited) understanding is that by mid-September they're much diminished or gone most years? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, though.

I did the North Coast 500 out of season with two broken wrists, a chipped heal and a busted knee, on a bike to small for me with no proper wet gear and a p1sspot helmet....it rained, it shined, it was cloudy and sunny....it was great.
But dumfries is way off the beaten track on that route?

But dumfries is way off the beaten track on that route?
It's just a convenient point for the start of the trip, and the intent is not actually the NC500 per-se.

It's Scotland so you simply can't depend on the weather at any time. So if you're going to do it .... just do it.

My traditional recommendation to relatives coming from afar is that May / early June and September are the best compromise months - but with a bit of risk. You could go in July or August and get grey dreich windy weather. September might be great.

People worry about midges - but also take care of ticks if walking - by the end of the summer you get more of the large ones that have had more feeds - and more feeds means they have had more chance of picking up Lyme disease.

Early Sept 2014 we were up as far as Plockton. All sunny days, and only midged once, all very surprising.
The trouble was we were sailing a dinghy down and out of Loch Caron and aside from the 1st day there was near no wind.
Personally I would take more time up the West and miss the East.

The Loch Awe hotel are doing deals I believe, A bit remote but lovely location. Stop at St Conan's Kirk on the way out free and interesting.
Ben Cruachan visitor centre and tour worth considering. Book early to get a good hotel in Oban.
Fort William / Glen Nevis a must (in ok weather or you see nowt). Go to the end of the Glen and a walk to Steal's Bridge is worth the effort.
Not much around Fort Augustus really, but up the Loch to Urquhart Castle is worth it. I remember when that didn't have the centre.

Tbh there's history at every turn and it's possible to name much more.

Personally I wouldn't be excited by going any further north than Ullapool, of course there is history up there as well.

Did NC500 in May/June a couple of years ago and had the top down every day. No midges.
You may get lucky in September with midges diminishing and a good weather break.

Agree with the above - Ullapool a bit dull although north coast can be good. East coast (our last day) down from John O'Groats was tame compared to the west coast. Good point of that day was a distillery tour at Tomatin

Last edited:
Us Scots see the beauty of the terrain through the rain. Take that thought with you - you'll almost certainly need it!

Should be pretty decent weather in September , less midges this year apparently, more horseflies .

Us Scots see the beauty of the terrain through the rain. Take that thought with you - you'll almost certainly need it!
Very true and sound advice.

However, my appreciation of the terrain's beauty becomes significantly diminished when I'm riding a 320kg bike with my wife on the back and it's pi$$ing down with rain ;)

However, my appreciation of the terrain's beauty becomes significantly diminished when I'm riding a 320kg bike with my wife on the back and it's pi$$ing down with rain ;)
Only decide last minute when the weather forecasts are out

Only decide last minute when the weather forecasts are out
I would if doing it for just me and Angie, but it's an organised trip for a group which makes that unviable I'm afraid :(

Scotland is best toured in a submarine.
There is absolutely no predicting the weather. Dryce is right, September can be baking hot - but it wasn't last year. The rain can be for a few minutes and gone. Or a few days without respite. Thing is though, seeing as you are confined to the UK - can better weather be guaranteed anywhere else?

Haha 🤣
There is absolutely no predicting the weather.
I do appreciate that, as I've toured Scotland many times in the past both as a child with my parents and also on motorcycles, but there are some times of the year that are worse than others. At the end of the day it will be what it will be, but if everyone with local knowledge had said "Whoa! That's guaranteed to be the worst possible time to go!" then I would have scrubbed the idea.
seeing as you are confined to the UK - can better weather be guaranteed anywhere else?
Not really - which is why I prefer to head to continental Europe on two wheels at that time of year!

There is absolutely no predicting the weather. Dryce is right, September can be baking hot - but it wasn't last year. The rain can be for a few minutes and gone. Or a few days without respite. Thing is though, seeing as you are confined to the UK - can better weather be guaranteed anywhere else?
Guaranteed to be hot in Essex in September , but doesn’t sound right for an adventurous motorcycle tour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom