Pothole defensive driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

kinda sad but at almost 3k for a set of new AMG’s, my driving style has increasingly become erratic as I take care to avoid the wheels going through potholes.

I can see them slowly opening up again.

I few of the worst near me were filled by council in Spring and now breaking apart.

Isn’t there a decent tech to do a good job of these?

Anyway, just getting it off my back. Hope I’m not the only nutter doing the same thing

kinda sad but at almost 3k for a set of new AMG’s, my driving style has increasingly become erratic as I take care to avoid the wheels going through potholes.

I few of the worst near me were filled by council in Spring and now breaking apart.

Anyway, just getting it off my back. Hope I’m not the only nutter doing the same thing
No need for new technology. A properly executed patch, or better still simply relaying the section of road should create a lasting repair. Unfortunately, that’s more expensive than most council budgets will allow, and so aeldomly gets done properly.

My driving is the same. I watch folk both in front and in my rvm and see them just crashing through the potholes! Then wondering why they've got a puncture or damaged rim or broken spring.
I'll come off my own soapbox now

Reactions: GLK
Well I think we are all looking for the potholes now,I have four local routes I take ,and know all the pot holes and badly fitting man holes,of course on strange roads you have to be very much on your guard,I suspect many of us are watching the car in front hoping they are a local driver and know where the holes are,of course at night you have no chance.
As for the councils repairing the roads properly,it depends on the contractor,they need to cut and remove a big square around the pothole,remove debris to a decent depth and then fill and compact they need you must use a tack coat,only fill the hole a bit at a time say three inches at a time drying the area with hot air to stop any moisture,then the top asphalt wackered down and left very slightly proud of the road.
I doubt many contractors do this,they rake out the hole back fill it tamp it down and and used so quick set asphalt,they have taken to calling themselves reinstatement operatives.

Looks this would do a proper job. Also cost effective in the medium to long term as less labour costs with better/longer job completed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well I think we are all looking for the potholes now,I have four local routes I take ,and know all the pot holes and badly fitting man holes,of course on strange roads you have to be very much on your guard,I suspect many of us are watching the car in front hoping they are a local driver and know where the holes are,of course at night you have no chance.
As for the councils repairing the roads properly,it depends on how much they are prepared to pay the contractor,they need to cut and remove a big square around the pothole,remove debris to a decent depth and then fill and compact they need you must use a tack coat,only fill the hole a bit at a time say three inches at a time drying the area with hot air to stop any moisture,then the top asphalt wackered down and left very slightly proud of the road.
I doubt many contractors do this,they rake out the hole back fill it tamp it down and and used so quick set asphalt,they have taken to calling themselves reinstatement operatives.
Fixed that for you.

Or, possibly more accurately: -

View attachment 80902
The pothole within the pothole may be less than 50mm. I think he needs a longer beam to measure the true depth of that one!

Heard a chap on the radio the other day explaining that the reason the road surface fails is that the new materials uses are soft to give a more comfortable ride and lower noise levels, but they are also porous and allow water ingress.

In the olden days apparently they used harder surfaces which kept water our and lasted much longer but the ride was harsh and noise level higher.

Government has just announced an extra £420 million to councils for repair of potholes.
I am also wary of road humps as there are also too many and even if you slow down damage is done.
That is why I have my tracking checked on a regular basis
Jim

I thought they were getting rid of speed humps as they contribute to air pollution .

The biggest ones around here are on a single road and car park servicing 5 + entities including a College and Sports centre , absolutely no need for them .

It's a shame the tarmac humps can't be recycled to fill the holes .

Sometimes anybody following me would be forgiven for thinking I was pi55ed, some of the roads are that bad, and will get worse as winter goes on. But if I can avoid ruining my alloys then evasive action needs to be taken.

I think our local council have been following me as almost my entire route to work has been resurfaced and it's lovely. There is one side road which has new houses being built on that's down to the cobbles in many places but i suspect they'll resurface that when the building work is finished, happy days.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's a shame the tarmac humps can't be recycled to fill the holes .
They can be. Some councils do recycle their asphalt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom