Potholes...grr!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeeJayW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S205 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Our car is in for service and we have been advised by video that both front rims are slightly buckled. Need to find out if repairing them is a) possible and b) if it's covered by our wheel insurance.

Not happy Bob, not happy! :(

Any recommendations for alloy straightening firms near Chester?

A/ Yes B/ Possibly - if you can prove where it happened.

My mate had this.. Buckled a brand new rim on his T5. The insurance said the above . He went back and measured a distance of say 500 feet and in that distance there were 21 pot holes alone! Needles to say the council were out ASAP before any more claims came through..

I’m unsure if it’s fact but I’ve heard that the UK’s councils paid out more in compansation than it would have cost to fill the potholes. :dk:

I’m unsure if it’s fact but I’ve heard that the UK’s councils paid out more in compansation than it would have cost to fill the potholes. :dk:

How do we go about claiming Ant?

As far as I know it’s a lengthy process. Photo of said pothole, report of damage, time/date of incident and submit to local council.

As far as I know it’s a lengthy process. Photo of said pothole, report of damage, time/date of incident and submit to local council.
The problem we have is that there are so many potholes around here, it's not clear just exactly where and when the damage occurred.

As for total paid out in compensation out weighing the repair budget, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

When I hit a pothole oddly enough on day 13 of ownership on my Jaguar XF I ruined a tyre.

Along with my claim I submitted photographs and quoted Google Earth which clearly showed the pothole when it was filmed which would have been much earlier.

The council paid out in full

I tried to claim for pothole damage a couple of years ago in the Volvo, needed new tyre, suspension arm & drop link. Council refused ( Powys County Council) saying they were not aware of the pothole so could not repair it or be held responsible...seems you have to tell them where there is a pothole THEN drive over it !!

Not covered on wheel insurance. :(

Got the car booked in for Tuesday to have the front rims straightened and new tyres fitted as the old ones were getting pretty close to the limit. Hopefully all will go smoothly.

Last edited:
Right, got the car back. All went well. One rim had a decent flat spot, the other was only very slightly out so the didn't charge me for truing that one :)

So for the time being, happy if a little impoverished bunny am I.

Don’t get me started on the current pothole situation.
Drives me nuts.

I will continue to zag zag all over the place to avoid them until they fix them.

Considering the road tax we pay, I think the state of our roads is appalling.

I agree that the roads are the worst they have ever been. Unfortunately there is no such thing as road tax now per se. It is called car tax now. Maybe just so they can justify spending less to fix the roads!

I wrecked both n/s tyres front & back on the biggest/deepest whole I had ever seen. Needed a new alloy, one straightened & two new tyres. Had only just changed to treats 2 weeks prior. The car was an E61 530D M Sport Estate with runflats. It had a tear on each tyre maybe 9-12 inches long. The car still drove & got me home slowly 30 miles unbelievably!

The council paid out in full after declining the time possibly a default decline initially. I argued and appealed then they paid it in full. About 800 quid I think it was.

I agree that the roads are the worst they have ever been. Unfortunately there is no such thing as road tax now per se. It is called car tax now. Maybe just so they can justify spending less to fix the roads!

I wrecked both n/s tyres front & back on the biggest/deepest whole I had ever seen. Needed a new alloy, one straightened & two new tyres. Had only just changed to treats 2 weeks prior. The car was an E61 530D M Sport Estate with runflats. It had a tear on each tyre maybe 9-12 inches long. The car still drove & got me home slowly 30 miles unbelievably!

The council paid out in full after declining the time possibly a default decline initially. I argued and appealed then they paid it in full. About 800 quid I think it was.

How did you go about claiming? Did you stop at the site and take photographs etc? Then go home and email them over to the council?

How did you go about claiming? Did you stop at the site and take photographs etc? Then go home and email them over to the council?

I got a claim form from the council. Took loads of pictures of the road & damage. Not sure if it was written & sent or scanned/emailed.

I got a claim form from the council. Took loads of pictures of the road & damage. Not sure if it was written & sent or scanned/emailed.

How about if it was on a motorway where it’s not safe to stop take photos etc?

Then your a bit scuppered. That is where a dashcam might come in handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom