Pouring your heart out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
The title is a bit funny, but it expresses exactly what i just did.

There was a thread on a bmw forum about a guy asking 'Should i buy a BMW?' and i starting typing away a reply without really thinking, just saying what i really thought.... and...

"This is going to sound funny but i've had my 540i for a while now so i think i'm entitled to say, no dont buy one. Dont get me wrong I love my car, i like it alot, but there's something about it that gives off this 'look at me', almost arrogant energy that invites the wrong attention.

I used to drive an old style C-class (w202 C230K), and i have to say i felt safer driving that, in the sense i didnt worry a great deal about parking it in places and i didnt have to adapt to the negative attitude of other drivers towards me. When driving the c-class people were more willing to give me way and i never got stared it, never got jokers in other cars undertaking me 'want to race init bruv', 'rev your engine bro', is some of the crap i've had to put up with and i've only had this bmw 4 months. It was a nice quiet car, it hasn't been reviewed by car journalists to be amazing and it was very understated and unassuming, but this is just my personal opinion.

In terms of build quality, yes bmw's will feel better then most other cars, ie ford or the like, and as a car you will like it but as with any car, you need to also think about living with it not just driving it.

Just thought i'd put my 2p in."

Please discuss! :crazy:

I have to agree with you about living with cars & other people’s perception of the car / driver.

I had a Mini Cooper S soon after the new Mini was in production. It was a point in time when they were still an uncommon sight on the roads. Driving the Mini was always great fun & the reaction from other drivers was usually a big smile. I never had a problem being let out from side roads, in fact people seemed happy to let me out.

I agree with the perception of drivers of certain marques. For this reason I'd never buy a BMW or, more recently, an Audi. Few cars have the kudos of a nice clean merc!

I've certainly noticed the difference, swaping the SLK for an E Class.

Other drivers seemed far more willing to let me out in the SLK - but maybe only from a distance when they assumed I was a blonde (female) hairdresser !!

I agree with the perception of drivers of certain marques. For this reason I'd never buy a BMW or, more recently, an Audi. Few cars have the kudos of a nice clean merc!

could not agree more about BMW and Audi but most BMW drivers are probably oblvious to this list and their list is MB and Audi :D

Having just got rid of a 3 series after 4 years I can't recall any troubles being not let out of junctions etc. Had a 540i a few years ago as well. Maybe they asked you to rev it as it sounds nice and they saw a biggish number on the back (assuming not debadged) :)

No one asks me to rev the CLK at lights .... :(

People don't even give me a second glance.

I think other drivers perception of your car is something to take into account. I certainly would not consider buying an Audi because of the image that goes with it. I like the understatedness that goes with a Merc.

Interestingly, I noticed a big difference in other drivers attitude when I had my 500 SEC, with regards to getting out of junctions and other people feeling the need to sound their horns in a threatening manner. I've not had this with any other car I have owned, and my current E-class attracts none of this.

No one asks me to rev the CLK at lights .... :(

People don't even give me a second glance.

Best way to be Howard invisible:)

Lynall

Friend who went from a BM 540i to a E320Cdi reported a noticable increase people letting him out etc.

People automatically think you are loaded if you have a Merc, especially here in spain where I live.

When you pay for anything in spain, you have to show your Id with your card. I´ve noticed since I´ve had the Merc that they don´t bother with the Id.

I´m not trying to be flash, or elevate myself, but people certainly look at you in a different way with a Merc.

Mercs are also not Rep mobiles. Maybe the reason why BMW drivers tend to stand out as arrogant is because they are always running late for meetings, and so drive terribly because they are stressed.

I have never liked BMW and have as a result never owned one. When looking recently I didn't for one moment consider them. A lot of it has, as has been said, to do with the stereotypical impression you get of BMW owners.

Audi (which I did consider) seem to be going much the same way. They seem to be turning very much into a "chav with cash" car, which is disappointing as they are very good cars.

For me it was between the Audi and the Merc and I am glad I went with the Merc. Not taken delivery yet but certainly not looked back yet.

Speaking as a BMW owner (hold onto your stones until later...) I do get some flak... but then again, I think it's more linked to driving a red Z3 rather than a 4x4 in a country with onl one tarred road...

Mercs are definetly more understated... a true wolf in sheeps clothing! No more beemers for me, I quite like MBs! But then again, I am posting on a merc forum :p

M.

I only ever noticed this phenomena when I owned a Jaaaaaaaag SIII 4.2 XJ6. It was noticeable how polite other drivers were....

I loved that car, it was like driving your living room.....waftomatic of the highest order. To this date the most comfortable car I've ever driven.

I mean its all experience, and i'm glad i bought this car because it has taught me to drive alot differently. my accelerator pedal never ever breaches more then 10% of its overall depth, i dont feel like i am in a hurry to go anywhere, i now understand why people with big cars like this pull away slowly and cruise and 'waft'.

As for kids wanting to race me, i usually drive back from edgware road in london late on fridays/saturdays so thats why i get that (got it in the merc, once or twice, but i had it for over 2 years), and in that instance it was some kid in a 330i who was felt like he had something to prove. Its one of the few times where i wasn't even tempted to speed with him because i knew it isn't even a match for the 540i, a sign of me growing up! :)

I dont regret buying it, and i intend to keep it for a decent amount of time before retiring into a new plate diesel company car. But i at least its let me discover that i like powerful cars but with a bit more subtelty to them :).

I would agree with you. The only BMW(s) I have had are the Z3 which didn't seem to have the same stereotypal hatred towards it than a 3 or 5 series for example, maybe also being young, blonde etc :D and the touring, which is far from it aswell. I was put off buying a 3/5 series because of it, tending to err towards a Mercedes but recently looking at mpg and what you get for your money I was tending towards an E39 5 series, plus look that bit more modern for the equivalent in a Mercedes (C/E Class)?

Even in my Mercedes that I just sold (black pimped one) I didn't often have people trying to take me on or anything. Shame.... :D

the only bmw(s) i have had are the z3 which didn't seem to have the same stereotypal hatred towards it than a 3 or 5 series for example, maybe also being young, blonde etc , they thought i was a hairdresser and i would give them a chop for a good price ...

;)

Adam, if you find the kids want to take you on have it debadged or rebadged a 520i. had the more powerful 4.4i V8 in the x5, lovely strong engine and it wafted along, know what you mean. You'd get the feeling from a big oil burner though (320cdi V6 in a 211 or 204 that I drove had that lovely over engined feel to it)

I've contemplating taking off the 540i and putting v8 side badges... or completely debadging...

But 520i badge is just :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom