POWER and Speed differ. w211 320cdi.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lupi

Car
W124 200D,W211 320 CDI SPORT, Aston Martin Vanquish S,Land Rover Discovery, BMW E32 750i.
Dear Members,

I am somewhat confused,during the past 4 months I bought 2 Mercedes W211 both of them 320 cdi v6 diesel engine and both 7 speed.
The first one is 2005 Avangard with 114,000 mls, ( bought from a petrol station) I drove the car overland to home ( 2500 mls to Malta) I was so much surprised with the
performance of this car ( which was to be owned by my brother in law) that I deceided to buy a similar one for myself.
So I bought a (Mercedes approved) 2007 Sport W211 with 41,000 mls.
I drove the car to home again but once on the motorway I soon discovered,the performance of this car is lot less from the privious one !!

I had a breakdown in Italy and had it towed to a MB dealer there,the trouble was a fault in the gearbox electronic command module,they replaced the whole unit ,with all expenses paid by warrenty.
I continued my drive to home without any problem except that I still don`t have the power and performance as the first one !!

Both cars have the service History by MB dealers.

Any ideas please ??

Lupi.

Hi,
I am trying to solve this matter, I am thinking about the engine air filters, perhaps
they have been forgotten to change, but on the other hand is there any warning lamp on dash which is accosiated with air filters?

Sure the first one wasn't remapped??

They can be mapped to around 260-270bhp and 650nm of torque, which makes a massive difference to the performance.

Thanks gizze for your interest.

I don`t know if it was remapped,what I know is that the car was 1 owned and the owener and his wife were elderly,the husband passed away and the wife sold the car
after some time. Elderly people usually don`t have their car remapped !
What I know for sure is that the 1st Merc. gave me a top speed of 155mph and the 2nd. not more then 135 mph

You might want to check the Mass Air Flow sensor.

hi sweetpea

is it a MB dealer job?

Top speed of 135mph, are you sure you haven't got a 220cdi in there.

Something wrong, they get to 145mph very very easily and cruise up to 155mph with some room.

Could be a MAF/turbo on way out/

thanks ***

a matter of fact is the turbo whistle can be heard on the fast one,but there is no
whistle noise on the slow one!!

Mine makes a very very very slight turbo whistle, its very quiet car and the boost pressure will not be that high.

I would suspect for such a restricted performance, its the turbo.

Normally they get louder on cars, my mates golf only boosts in higher rev ranges now, and that makes the most gawdawfull noise when the window is down.

A common fault with the 642 engine is that the seal around the inlet shut off port motor leaks oil into the turbo and it goes. Mine went straight away but the whole turbo shut down, and the car was very very very very slow and really struggled beyond 85 mph and had performace more like the 1000cc ford Ka they gave me. I would not say the Ka was a courtesy, more of an insult.

Take it in, the turbo is the thing that lets these engines develop so much power.

thank you for the advise, I will take it in.
just curious, i have travelled for at least 2500 mls in 3 days on motorways,
had it been leaking oil, i wonder why i didn`t get worse.

Hi Guys,

I have replaced air filters,found old ones full of insects and dry leafs,tested car
on a quater mile racing span,from stand still in Manual mode and with accelerater down to floorboard, it went very very fast to the 4200rpm through 1st-2nd-3rd-4th
done this in a row for 5 times,a rubber burning smell was coming from engine bay !!
Unfortunatly I could not test top speed,because there is now place on the Island
for this test.
I assume that there is nothing wrong with the turbo !!

Please let me have your comments.

Thanks Guys.

Drive slower dude, so your guardian angels can keep up with you!

Drive slower dude, so your guardian angels can keep up with you!

Dear rascalmaster,

A dude is an individual, typically male, particularly somebody well dressed or who has never lived outside a big city.

I bet you, I have been much more abroad on motorways then yourself and regarding dressing , I hate ties and suits even though,I can buy as many
as I want to !!

I am Maltese and my chidhood was under British culture (which I don`t regret at all), so what I am giving you back,is what I have learnt from
your culture.

Anyway I take your comment as a good sense of humour.

Lupi.

:eek: yes it was meant to be a joke mate. (now please don't search up mate in the ol Oxford....).
Okay; that was a joke as well! (The bit in brackets)
I spent 20 years in the merchant marine; lived in diverse places like Japan (2 years), Americas (5) west coast of Africa (2), spent 6 months in the antarctic, hong kong china Taiwan Korea Burma Indonesia Singapore phillipines Australia new Zealand Russia Bangladesh India Nepal bhutan Pakistan Iran Afghanistan Iraq Saudi, UAE, israel, Sudan, Ethiopia, Madagascar, east coast of Africa, Egypt, turkey, pretty much all of Europe, and pretty much all the oceans and seas and inland waterways...

So in a nutshell; I like to think of myself as quite the windswept and intrepid voyaguer :)

A bit like yourself really ;-)

Now if there's one thing I did learn on my travels; it was- to take it easy, drive slow (remember the angels keeping up bit) and have a laugh.

Just practicing what i preach, and trying to have a laugh.
I believe, In England, they call it 'taking the piss'.
Let me elaborate; in england it's not that uncommon to hear someone refer to their best mate as a 'bit if a tw@t' :eek:
(taking the piss)
But English is a third language to me and sometimes I do get caught up in the exuberance of my own vibosity...
That and the fact I'm recovering from a nasty sinus infection and have been tanked up with very strong pain killers.

Anyways I've given you all the excuses for my behaviour in the previous thread, so hope I'm forgiven!
;)

:eek: yes it was meant to be a joke mate. (now please don't search up mate in the ol Oxford....).
Okay; that was a joke as well! (The bit in brackets)
I spent 20 years in the merchant marine; lived in diverse places like Japan (2 years), Americas (5) west coast of Africa (2), spent 6 months in the antarctic, hong kong china Taiwan Korea Burma Indonesia Singapore phillipines Australia new Zealand Russia Bangladesh India Nepal bhutan Pakistan Iran Afghanistan Iraq Saudi, UAE, israel, Sudan, Ethiopia, Madagascar, east coast of Africa, Egypt, turkey, pretty much all of Europe, and pretty much all the oceans and seas and inland waterways...

So in a nutshell; I like to think of myself as quite the windswept and intrepid voyaguer :)

A bit like yourself really ;-)

Now if there's one thing I did learn on my travels; it was- to take it easy, drive slow (remember the angels keeping up bit) and have a laugh.

Just practicing what i preach, and trying to have a laugh.
I believe, In England, they call it 'taking the piss'.
Let me elaborate; in england it's not that uncommon to hear someone refer to their best mate as a 'bit if a tw@t' :eek:
(taking the piss)
But English is a third language to me and sometimes I do get caught up in the exuberance of my own vibosity...
That and the fact I'm recovering from a nasty sinus infection and have been tanked up with very strong pain killers.

Anyways I've given you all the excuses for my behaviour in the previous thread, so hope I'm forgiven!
;)

Rascalmaster

Thank you for your reply.

You have been forgiven on my first reply, I already mentioned
it was a good sense of humor.
Regarding the top speed,I am after, it is not because I am going to drive at that speed,but if I have any car which is intented to have certain
specifications and these are not present,then this means that there is
something wrong !!

glad you got the problem with your car sorted lupi ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom