power cut = no servers = no work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.saunders

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E300TD
Seems the powerful seat of local government where I work had major power cuts last night which despite back-ups & power subsequently being restored has left most servers dead or vulnerable, seems it's a bigger issue than just re-booting!

So, we (alongside most council services) are dead in the water at the moment - our intranet is down but I can get the internet!

Any suggestions as to what I (we) can do :devil:

If you need a quick on-site consultant I'm in Hull and can be with you quickly!!

Seems the powerful seat of local government where I work had major power cuts last night which despite back-ups & power subsequently being restored has left most servers dead or vulnerable, seems it's a bigger issue than just re-booting!

So, we (alongside most council services) are dead in the water at the moment - our intranet is down but I can get the internet!

Any suggestions as to what I (we) can do :devil:

Annoy Guido (Amuses the crowd):devil:

Arrange for a parking ticket to Gordon Brown for being there too long already

Post some "News" :D :p

:bannana: :bannana:

I've just been to our business continuity/resilience web site (which is held elsewhere of course) and that doesn't work either :mad:

So much for systems.

I think I will annoy Guido, is he on

If you need a quick on-site consultant I'm in Hull and can be with you quickly!!

Our ICT have been working on this (according to their emails, which strangely are still working) most of the night/morning and it still isn't fixed so perhaps you will be needed :cool:

From experience with these matters, more often than not, when you lose power the spike that occurs on initial loss or transition to UPS/genny is enough to cause some servers to fail in some way.

This in turn triggers a chain reaction as many servers have dependencies on others. Bringing things back on line may have to be done in a certain sequence.

It sounds like they got things back on line pretty sharpish tbh so thumbs up for your IT bods.

Well didn't this turn into a boring thread! Guido has not been annoyed even once!

Robert_Saunders - You are the weakest link! Goodbye :)

Reminds me of a time when I worked for a County Council in the Southwest. The Chief Executive was in the habit of sending out a 'touchy feely' email on a Friday afternoon to all staff. One time he included a picture, which was 2 MB in size. Sending that out to the staff crippled the server for days!!!!

David

Talking of News

Happy days :bannana: :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom