Power pick-up point and dash cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baxlin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skoda Octavia and JZR 3 wheeler
I'm considering purchasing a dash camera, but I HATE trailing wires!!

So two questions:

What camera should I buy?

Where can I take the power from, ie hard wire it, so I can route the cable so as it can't be seen. I anticipate mounting it in what i understand is the only completely legal position, immediately above the tax disc.

This rules out using the ciggy lighter.

Car is a 2013 C220 Exec SE.

Thanks in advance

Malcolm

Why not mount behind the mirror and take power from the roof console.

Why not mount behind the mirror and take power from the roof console.

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of the roof console, as I had taken power from there for footwell lights ( sync'd to the interior light) on my Rover 75.

I presume there's an ignition or aux controlled supply, as I want the camera to start up automatically.

Lots of options for witness cameras now Malcolm...

You can have HD cameras now , with built in monitor screens - ideal if you want to see what's being recorded , with battery back ups & also multi view so you can also have a rear facing or occupants recorded same time.
Also one of my favourites is wifi hd witness cameras so you can connect your smartphone to it & bring up all the recorded data .

--/

As for installation normally it would be up where the interior mirror is fixed on a glass mount bracket using a 3m pad supplied .
Run cables across roof lining & down pillar ( remember never to cross over a curtain airbag)
& pick up ignition either from back of cig connector or find a safe ignition source from fusebox.
Normally you would also purchase a female cig connector to hardwire behind the dash so your install is neat .

Email me if you need more info Malcolm .. Happy to help !

Ash

Many thanks, I'd never thought about a dash cam, but you hear so many stories, scam accidents etc, that it could be a sensible addition to the car.

Many thanks, I'd never thought about a dash cam, but you hear so many stories, scam accidents etc, that it could be a sensible addition to the car.

fwiw, having had a dash cam for a while, you will quickly find that you really need a rear-facing cam too, so if you see some kind of deal for 2, go for it.

What about the sides? Have you got inside covered?

What about the sides? Have you got inside covered?
I haven't bothered with the back even, but I was thinking of a 'google street-view' 360 camera for the roof just to be sure..:D

My point is, if you are going to bother at all, you only get about 40% of the action from a front cam, so interesting but fairly ineffective, and to increase the effectiveness towards useful then you need the rear covered too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom