Power steering bleed c200 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitefang

Car
e320 cdi, 525tds bmw,
Hi all .
Can I ask please for a bit of help.

C200 CDI w204 .

New power steering pump fitted as old 1 was making a racket.
New pump not identical but same.

We have put it all on the car, re filled with mb fluid.
Try to bleed it but...
Not a hope...

There's no leaks of fluid any were.
We bleed it the way your going to say.. turn full lock off the ground...be doing this for few hours no lie...
It's like there's foam still in the system & you can hear like gas /air in the rack it's self.

Help please. Any idea's.

Thanks all. Hope you week end is going good.

Hi...
On the rack is the 2 pipes (17mm bolts) If I un do 1 of the bolts a little, & turn the wheel will it blow out air & bit of fluid.? Or will it suck bac in air.?

Thanks all

Hi all..
How you doing...

Think we got it...
What a pain in the ass...7 hours ... 7 hours....that's just bleeding.

Kept at, slowly, & I think it's bleeding ok now, not much air or swashing sound in the rack / pipes or resovior.

Don't ask why or what the story was.
Id say we was going a bit to quick on the wheel turning. ?????

7 hours.... Ive heard of percverance but ....

Thanks all.

Hi all..
How you doing...

Think we got it...
What a pain in the ass...7 hours ... 7 hours....that's just bleeding.

Kept at, slowly, & I think it's bleeding ok now, not much air or swashing sound in the rack / pipes or resovior.

Don't ask why or what the story was.
Id say we was going a bit to quick on the wheel turning. ?????

7 hours.... Ive heard of percverance but ....

Thanks all.
Well done for keeping at it.

That's a long bleeding time! 👍

hi dsm10000 / alecmascot /all
how you doing...

thanks for your replies.

think i spoke to soon last night, saying all good.

just had call off my dad,
long story...
last weekend we changed the power steering pump, we did this because when turn the wheel full lock it screamed a bit.
the fluid didnt go up or down or have any air bubbles in.
so pump changed, we bleed it, the way every one says.
seemed ok.
we went in, had dinner.

next day i was told its screaming a bit so the dad with aid of sister bleed the pump again, but said 1 - 2 hours later said ok.
on the friday just gone i called home & spoke to dad he said its screamin a bit again.

this weekend (yesturday). we took the feed pipe off the resovior, (put a blanked end pipe on the resovior in the feed place),
we put the feed pipe into a clear coke bottle, then bleed the system to flush & remove any air in the system without it going into the resovior.
as dad was turning the wheel (engine off) i watched the fluid level & the fluid going into the bottle.
dad said he full locked the wheel about 10 times, & in this time the fluid that came into the coke bottle never spluttered, it flowed in,. i did keep the resovior topped up, used a litre.
we put the feed pipe back to the resovior.
used about few mouth fulls to make sure all is ok.
then started the engine, then found out it was screaming again a bit. so did bleed for few turns. the turned off the engine.

from then just tried to bleed, took off the tray, removed the rack boot, no fluid leaks. all you can hear & feel in the rack is like gas / swashing sound.

how is air getting into the system.?

we using a green atf. eurol e113675.

thanks all

I think you are using the wrong oil. There's a specific steering oil that isn't an atf fluid I think.

Last edited:
It is usually CHF for Mercedes.

What did the handbook recommend?

Did you follow this procedure?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

hi all,
hi carfan79
sorry mate, i put atf ... yeah ive seen / heard & probably used atf oil in my past cars, so i persumed it was atf. but its labeled on the bottle as power steering fluid c .
its used by x. x x. & mb 345.0 & i (i did check on a website ... 7zap / realoem ) checked what is used / specified & its power steering fluid 345.0

thanks for your reply.
talk again.

Drain it all, flush well with CHF and follow the procedure as in the video and hopefully you will be sorted.

hi dsm10000,

yeah mate, we didnt go by the above youtube clip, but we did do all what they say tho, white coats / gloves / eye protection ...nah.

whats the chance the rack being at fault.?

thanks...

hi dsm10000,

yeah mate, we didnt go by the above youtube clip, but we did do all what they say tho, white coats / gloves / eye protection ...nah.

thanks...
I think having established you have the incorrect fluid in it you have no choice but to start again with the correct type before you can blame the rack.

So you turned the rack from lock to lock without the engine running and then lowered the car and started the engine later in the process?

hi all,
hi carfan79
sorry mate, i put atf ... yeah ive seen / heard & probably used atf oil in my past cars, so i persumed it was atf. but its labeled on the bottle as power steering fluid c .
its used by x. x x. & mb 345.0 & i (i did check on a website ... 7zap / realoem ) checked what is used / specified & its power steering fluid 345.0

thanks for your reply.
talk again.
The mercedes steering oil for your car is mb236.3 I'm sure

My understanding of ATF vs specified PAS fluid is that newer types of ATF have additives that can attack the rubber hoses.
I recently replaced mine (1999 vehicle) with reformulated Dexron III without problem.

hi dsm10000

yes, wheels off ground, turn lock to lock. got what we thought was all air out & the level stabbled.
car still off ground then engine on (may be few minutes while we drank our coffee quickly) then back at it, then squeal. then car on floor squeal.

i did forget to say, while car was off road engine on, yes lock to lock & squeal.. after that (dont ask me why i did this ) but i put the car to 1500 revs & held it there & lock to lock. but no squeals. cant recall if dad said air was coming out or was there.

i just asked dad if it could be a dodgy belt or tensioneer wheel.? (think belt is fairly new)

thanks for the heads up mate.

Would be better to ascertain if belt is slipping and squealing before going any further.

hi carfan79 / bellow.
il check that oil
thanks for the info both.

New power steering pump fitted as old 1 was making a racket.
Mechanical noise?
If the pump's noise was due to it failing mechanically there could be debris throughout the system including the rack. The replacement pump could be similarly affected.
Theoretical of course. Did you see anything in the oil that would point to this?

hi bellow,
we didnt see anything in the oil that we flushed out.

when i was talking to dad he said it was a bearing failure sound.

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom