Power Steering Fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrSmyth

Car
Current: C63 AMG Estate, Past: Mercedes C350 CDI Sport
Hi All,

My C63 started making really loud, whiny, grinding noises when turning the steering wheel the other day. Faint-ish smell of burning. The steering got heavier and heavier and by the time Mercedes technicians came out it was immovable.

He quickly identified a power steering failure and you could see some kind of fluid had leaked out. It's now in the shop while they do a full assessment.

Assuming it was just a fluid leak I'm guessing they'll replace valves / seals / pipes etc. But can anyone tell me how I know if any damage has been done to the actual power steering pump / motor? Would they need to replace the whole unit? I drove it about 2 or 3 miles after it first went.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Given your symptoms of burning, etc., I would have thought the problem was most likely that the pump was seizing and burning the belt...assuming you have hydraulic steering and not electric.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie - just heard from MB it's a high pressure pipe that failed and the actual pump is ok, but they'll know more once they've replaced it and cleaned up the oil etc. Still under warranty thankfully.

You're lucky it didn't go up in flames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom