Power Steering Fluid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CHRISCHANCE

Car
ML55 AMG
There's a low moaning sound from the front end of my ML55 AMG when turning steering wheel.
I checked the dip-stick and found the fluid just touches the tip so I think a drop of fluid may stop the noise.
I have a bottle of Dexron 4 so am wondering whether I can use this to top up?
Advice please.
Chris.

What does your handbook recommend?

I can't find any info in the handbook or the servicing booklet. The technical data doesn't cover this.

That is a bit odd, I would not be mixing another fluid until I had confirmation that they were compatible. If no one gets back to you here then just ask your local dealer or Independant.

Thanks for that. I've searched for this and info re steering fluid is scarce and others have had to go to MB for fluid. My nearest MB dealer is Northampton and I'm concerned that the shortage of fluid may cause a problem if I drive there. I also need to travel tomorrow (short journey).

You said the fluid is just touching the end of the dipstick so it is far from empty. There should be no problem driving until you get the correct fluid. Have a look around for leaks from the pipework and steering rack if you can

Have you tried ECP or Halfords? both should have lists of compatible fluids.

Service manager at MB Northampton rang and invited me down for a free health check on my car and steering top up.
I spent 2 hours shopping nearby and a lunch in the local Harvester; went back for the car and waited 15 minutes for a complimentary valet.
The techie left me the bottle of fluid - nearly full, (he only used a bit), which is MB's own (part no: A000 989 88 03) and cost £8.52 to buy.
I was told not to use ATF because it is incompatible with their fluid.
I am happy with the 'health check' and extra happy because the total bill was £8.52.
I am quite happy with that... Thank you, MB Northampton.

Well done - always great to see a job done well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom