Power steering fluid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibbo

Car
C180K Estate
Hi all,

Not really an engine thread but was not sure quite where to post so sorry administrators; please move if there is somewhere more appropriate.

My W203 is squealing like a little piggy when I turn the steering wheel.
Have checked the power steering fluid level and its not even registering on the little dip stick.

Does anyone know if I just ask the local motor factor for some power steering fluid or are there different grades?
If there are different grades what do I ask for?

Many thanks as always,
Nibbo

Get the oil from MB. Its a green colour and called Pentosin.

Get the oil from MB. Its a green colour and called Pentosin.

Thanks BlackC55, however I tried to contact my nearest dealer to see if they had it in stock and that it was available over the counter. It's a 30 mile round trip and haven't got the time to waste at the moment.
As usual, no-one available... can I get them to call you sir? but no-one ever calls back. Even filled out an on-line parts enquiry, still no call back. :wallbash: Grrrr...

Do we know for sure that they sell it to the public?
Or, I think the grade is CHF 11S; presumably I can mix any fluid of the same grade or will this damage seals etc...

Thanks again

Thanks BlackC55, however I tried to contact my nearest dealer to see if they had it in stock and that it was available over the counter. It's a 30 mile round trip and haven't got the time to waste at the moment.
As usual, no-one available... can I get them to call you sir? but no-one ever calls back. Even filled out an on-line parts enquiry, still no call back. :wallbash: Grrrr...

Do we know for sure that they sell it to the public?
Or, I think the grade is CHF 11S; presumably I can mix any fluid of the same grade or will this damage seals etc...

Thanks again

How desperate are you for it?

I've got a few 1 litre tubs of it, at the very least I can get the part number them so you can get it locally.

There are a number of firms that sell CHF Central Hydraulic Fluid to the required standard the S being synthetic, including Wynns, Comma, Febi and probably many more.
Pentosin is if I remember correctly an American brand.
If Mr M as above has some get it sent cheaper in fuel and time.

Last edited:
How desperate are you for it?

I've got a few 1 litre tubs of it, at the very least I can get the part number them so you can get it locally.

Thanks Nick,
Not too desperate; let me know the Part No and I will order it from your website.
Cheers

I'd be interested to know when Mercedes stopped using ATF in the power steering pumps and went over to this different fluid ?

I suppose I'd have to guess that it might be when they changed over from recirculating ball systems to rack & pinion ?

The power steering fluid level should normally never need a top up unless the system has developed a leak.........check your system for any fluid loss, a common area for leaks is from the steering rack rubber 'boots' on the steering arms which is due to a failure of the seals behind.

The power steering fluid level should normally never need a top up unless the system has developed a leak.........check your system for any fluid loss, a common area for leaks is from the steering rack rubber 'boots' on the steering arms which is due to a failure of the seals behind.

Good shout that man...

No sign of a leak so topped fluid up.
10 minutes later virtually no power steering at all; looked under bonnet and fluid everywhere so topping up must have increased the pressure and caused the undetectable leak to become a complete failure.
D'oh... managed to muscle it to a local garage who thinks it is just a seal; hope he is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom