power steering problems - can i use ATF to topup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frog1520

HI All,

Over the last two days, my W140 has lost all its power steering fluid and now the steering groans etc. Not sure if its the pump thats gone, or a hose.

I've heard you can use ATF instead of power steering fluid - can I top it up with that to drive it to the garage? (I have some of that!)

I guess I could drive it without any fluid (about 10 miles) - but think that may damage the pump which is a shame if its just a hose?

All advice welcome! Thanks!

get some ZHM from ECP for £4.05 +VAT (guess who had a split hose recently necessitating a quick refill:rolleyes:). Thats half the MB price. Same Febi Bilstein bottle ,same product with different label on.

On previous cars I owned the PAS hydraulic fluid was specified by the manufacturer as ATF (Dexron II, to be precise), but MB seem to stipulate that only their own-brand hydraulic PAS fluid should be used.

The MB fluid could quite possibly be just plain ATF, but there are various types of ATF, so without MB saying which one is suitable for the PAS, I wouldn't risk it and I would stick to MB's own fluid....

W140 is fine on ATF, the fluid in the reservoir should be red. ... newer cars use ZHM which is a greeny colour.

Can you give me a mail order company to supply MB power steering fluid.

Cheers, Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom