Power Steering Reservoir Filler Cap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugblatter

Car
2005 Jaguar X Type 2.0D SE
I know this subject has been up before, but my power steering is making groaning noises when approaching full lock. However, the manual does not say anything about how to top up the reservoir and I can't locate the filler cap to check it.

Where is it located??? (W203) :confused:

Probably got a 'steering wheel' design on the cap too.

guydewdney said:
99% are on the front left (as sitting in car) of the engine. black cap. use std dextron III

That's exactly where I looked. Nothing there! It must be hidden in the W203. This was the same problem the previous poster had but the exact location was never revealed.

take a pic of the engine bay?

It'll be driven by the serpentine belt, so follow that. Look for something that isn't the alternator, water pump, idler wheel or a/c compressor, and it will probably be the power steering pump (someone will now post that W203s have electric power steering, like my missus's Nova :D ). Follow any pipes that emanate from it, and Bob's your uncle.

Hmmmmm.

Attachments

• W203 Engine 1.jpg
    W203 Engine 1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 92
  • W203 Engine 2.jpg
    W203 Engine 2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 76
  • W203 Engine 3.jpg
    W203 Engine 3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 69
TBH the engine looks almost identical to the W202 W124 and so on,apart from the inlet manifold cover.and a few other pipes.I personally would think its located under the cover I have marked,as it is situated in that position on my car and most likely on the other types aswell.

Attachments

• W203 Engine 1.jpg
    W203 Engine 1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 162
On the w201 (as you look at it on that pic) its just to the left of the ABS pump. So it would be under the pipe on yours.

Stu

Thanks. I'll have a look on Saturday when I get a chance to see in daylight!

Find the steering box, trace the pipes towards the front of your car and where they meet is the steering pump. I cant imagane that it has a seperate resevoir for fluid, doesnt make sense. Are you completly sure its has power steering? Asked a dealer, independant? sorry if this sounds abrupt, its not ment to be

Ian B Walker said:
Find the steering box, trace the pipes towards the front of your car and where they meet is the steering pump. I cant imagane that it has a seperate resevoir for fluid, doesnt make sense. Are you completly sure its has power steering? Asked a dealer, independant? sorry if this sounds abrupt, its not ment to be

Don't worry, doesn't sound abrupt. I don't really have any facilities (or inclination!) to get under the car. I'm sure the noise started after a recent B Service, but I really don't want to have anything to do with the local main dealer, I only go there because the car is still under warranty. It definitely has power steering.

An independent called "Merc Care" is only five minutes away from me. I might contact them.

I've got the W203 C270 and there is no sign of a resevoir anywhere! I'd be very interested to find out where it is!

Excellent thanks! :)

Looks like Pluggers was right!

Only thing is my engine layout is different from the web site pics because there is a cover over that area. How does the cover come off? Does it just pull off or are there some screws/bolts etc.

Bugblatter said:
Excellent thanks! :)

Looks like Pluggers was right!

Only thing is my engine layout is different from the web site pics because there is a cover over that area. How does the cover come off? Does it just pull off or are there some screws/bolts etc.

Finally got round to looking as the evenings are lighter. Cover whips off and it's there next to the oil dipstick. Doesn't look too low though.

£12.63 for a bottle of psf from Derwent Leeds' brand new premises. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom