Powercut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
We had a powercut which affected 1/2 our street a couple of nights ago, we reported it and it was fixed within a couple of hours..

This morning, again no power - it was reported at 7am, so far no engineer has even been to assess the issue, various edf ladies have been very apologetic and blamed the number of reported faults due to the weather.. the last one gave me the customer relations number although she seemed to think they wouldn't do anything until service had been restored.. :rolleyes:

My question is.

a. what is a reasonable time for a fault to be assessed and repaired.

b. have I any recourse other than moaning on here.

There are some 125 properties affected, Mrs B is at home with Junior B under the duvet watching the temperature drop having waited in most of the day for our bathroom fittings to turn up.. - currently 15 degrees C..

I've arranged for us to stay with friends tonight.. Only in England..

Ade :(

Currently on hold with customer services after a bit of wrangling, they are looking into it... initially I was told to call back the emergency line, who told me to call customer services...

We've played the baby card.. What I can't get my head round is why no one seems to give a toss that one side of a street is down..

Ade :mad:

edit - apparently they are now on site, even more properties are down as a major fuse has gone... no confirmed time for repair but at least we have an incident number...

further edit - according to our neighbour who just called edf emergency line... apparently no engineer due till 6pm... argghh

Last edited:
I used to work in Clifton in Bristol. A major power cable blew, which took out mains power for about 3 days. There were some hefty generators in providing some power, but they had to go off line here and there. Caused major disruption, but does not sound like you are being treated as the priority that you should be

I used to work in Clifton in Bristol. A major power cable blew, which took out mains power for about 3 days. There were some hefty generators in providing some power, but they had to go off line here and there. Caused major disruption, but does not sound like you are being treated as the priority that you should be

Having spoken to a couple of edf people and made possible arrangements for a warm bed, I'm resigned to waiting it out... there seems very little to be achieved by popping blood vessels whilst talking to a trained geordie phone-o-tron...

Its just frustrating as in my work, if there is a problem there is always a line of communication which enables a solution, might as well scream into the void, as it appears that there is not a lot the call center bods can do other than feed me their latest update, which may or may not be based on fact..

In my wife's home country, power cuts are a way of life as the infrastructure is a bit creaky, which you'd expect in Indonesia

and SE London so it seems...

Ade

yep, candle lit tea in a saucepan this morning etc. should I turn it of at the meter or something?

Ade

At times like these it's very handy to have a caravan with central heating, hot water, shower, CD, colour TV, hob, grill, oven, etc. all running off 12V and bottled gas :)

At times like these it's very handy to have a caravan with central heating, hot water, shower, CD, colour TV, hob, grill, oven, etc. all running off 12V and bottled gas :)

Indeed, we've got a tent and a shed, but they're not quite the same..

Anyway it appears we now have power back on, edf superb service, can't praise them enough etc. etc... :devil:

It got down to 12C in the flat..

Cheers

Ade :)

I've arranged for us to stay with friends tonight.. Only in England..

Ade :(

Try living in Eastern Europe (more specifically in the Balkans) sometimes 3 day power cuts and rolling blackouts are the norm.

:rolleyes:

Try living in Eastern Europe (more specifically in the Balkans) sometimes 3 day power cuts and rolling blackouts are the norm.

:rolleyes:

I often spend time in the Gambia. When you know power is unreliable you plan for it, here in the UK it's not the norm and so we are more affected.

My phones, router, AP and server are on a UPS here. And I post from a laptop...

Managed in Dresden in 1994, no central heating and -16c, no plumbed hot water for quite a while..

In Bandung (Mrs B's hometown) they used to switch the power off in lightning storms. It becomes part of daily life in rainy season..

All good fun when prepared, its when you're not its annoying.. ie. we had 3 tealight candles and one torch between us..

I vaguely remember regular power cuts in the 70's as a kid - makes you realise how reliant on leccy we have become.

Ade

When you know power is unreliable you plan for it, here in the UK it's not the norm and so we are more affected.
quote]
Sorry it was just meant tounge in cheek and I would find it not acceptable to live without electricity for more than 1 hour. :eek:

When I lived near Woking we used to have regular power cuts of up to half a day ... sometimes overnight. I have a Tilley lamp which is great in that situation as it provides lots of light and lots of heat, and runs for ages on a fill of paraffin:

x6r872.jpg

No compensation from whoever our electricity supplier was ... bottom line was that they didn't provide a guaranteed supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom