Powerline Networking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Additional option to wired or wireless network -

I needed network access in the lounge, already got wireless but needed hard wired which is pretty much impractical in this room.

Had held off getting one of these internet over power devices because wasn't sure how successful it would be with our wiring.

Anyway, found a Belkin 200 Mbps kit for £65, incl delivery and thought got to be worth a try.

Belkin Link

Works like a charm, does exactly what it says on the box - well pleased. No set up required, other than plug n play.

Mike

Yep, I have the devolo d-lan ones that do the same job, works very well

Yep, I have the devolo d-lan ones that do the same job, works very well

Nice looking kit (Belkin a bit industrial looking), unusually a brand I'd never heard of.

Looking at the pictures, one reason I chose Belkin was that you have the option of plugging in the adapter directly to the 13a socket or via a cable - I needed the cable as my outlets are too close to the floor, so not enough clearance.

Mike

I also have installed the Devolo ones at my parents' house, where wireless doesn't work too well because the walls are stone and quite thick. Works a treat, and gives up to about 80Mbit/s of throughput.

Looking at the pictures, one reason I chose Belkin was that you have the option of plugging in the adapter directly to the 13a socket or via a cable - I needed the cable as my outlets are too close to the floor, so not enough clearance.

Mike

OK - got that bit part wrong, the UK plug (having tried it!) fitment points the box up. Still useful to have the cable option though - also noticed the Belkin have a lifetime warranty.

Mike

Watch that the sockets are on the same fuse ,mcb or rcbo as i've heard of them not communication with each other (reciever /transmitter) when they have got to mover across the fuseboard (probably more in commercial (3 phase systems ) but just a thought

jamie

Watch that the sockets are on the same fuse ,mcb or rcbo as i've heard of them not communication with each other (reciever /transmitter) when they have got to mover across the fuseboard (probably more in commercial (3 phase systems ) but just a thought

jamie

I can confirm that mine work over multiple fuse boxes (we have 4, don't ask) - are they still called fuse boxes now that they have breakers?

Mike

...probably more in commercial (3 phase systems)...

Of course - given they modulate the data on to the phase and neutral pins of the plug. If you modulate the data on to L1, you're not going to see it on L2 or L3 phases.

Of course - given they modulate the data on to the phase and neutral pins of the plug. If you modulate the data on to L1, you're not going to see it on L2 or L3 phases.

The Belkin manual states - "..can maintain coverage across different phase rings."

Mike

The Belkin manual states - "..can maintain coverage across different phase rings."

Interesting... then these ones must use neutral and earth for the modulation (unless of course they only use a single pin and don't use differential signalling; in which case I don't get how they'd be immune to electrical noise).

Of course not many of us have three phase supplies at home so this is pretty much academic anyway! ;)

I have these and they're flipping useless.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DLO64Q/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Worked well when originally purchased a year ago but now not effective on the link I need them to bridge.

They do work if I try the 'slave' on other sockets, and I can occasionally get them connected again where I need them after such an exercise, but the signal falls over within a day or two. Nor reliable by any stretch.

Would a beefier 200MBPs version work better? I'm a bit stuck here.

If I have 'odd' wiring [Edwardian house] is that the problem? I have a 3 year old consumer unit and the plugs are on different 'rings'/fuses.

Thanks

Sean

[oh and how pleasing to re-read a thread with Mark300SL's contributions]

Last edited:
ShinyF1 said:
I have these and they're flipping useless.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DLO64Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00167D96S&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1T4R6BA255W709V8FNRT

Worked well when originally purchased a year ago but now not effective on the link I need them to bridge.

They do work if I try the 'slave' on other sockets, and I can occasionally get them connected again where I need them after such an exercise, but the signal falls over within a day or two. Nor reliable by any stretch.

Would a beefier 200MBPs version work better? I'm a bit stuck here.

If I have 'odd' wiring [Edwardian house] is that the problem? I have a 3 year old consumer unit and the plugs are on different 'rings'/fuses.

Thanks

Sean

[oh and how pleasing to re-read a thread with Mark300SL's contributions]

200mbs version works a treat.

A note of caution for HiFi lovers

I had powerline networking as part of the BT home hub + Vision system. Worked fine but created total havoc with my hifi :mad:

Caused terrible digital interference on the power supplies. No amount of filtering could eliminate it, especially bad on sub woofers...

Stripped it all out and used good old fashion CAT6 cables. Aural bliss restored :thumb:

same here on the interference, i cured it by wiring my music room differently to the rest of the house (neutral and earth round one side of the room, live the other...)

not entirely sure why it worked, but was dabbling with mains conditioners and the like and one of the voodoo doctor hifi people suggested it.

i use the devolo ones to get to my comms room (read cupboard under the stairs) worked flawlessly even with a couple of webservers running 24x7

Worked well when originally purchased a year ago but now not effective

See if you can get an RMA number and get them changed for new ones.

These units (from all suppliers) seem to suffer a lot from limited life. Maybe they run a bit too warm for the electronics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom