Powersteering reservoir?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anders

Car
‘14 BMW X5 M50D
On an automatic, is there a separate reservoir for the powersteering? :eek:

Yes, front right of engine, on top of pump that is driven from the drive belt, looks like a square-ish plastic box with a screwcap that has a little dipstick. Top up with ATF fluid if needed.

jimmy said:
Yes, front right of engine, on top of pump that is driven from the drive belt, looks like a square-ish plastic box with a screwcap that has a little dipstick. Top up with ATF fluid if needed.

You shouldn't use ATF. ATF is kerosene based and the PS fluid is hydraulic oil. MB sell the appropriate oil.

Some later engines do have a seperate resovoir again, seperate from the pump...
I was always under the impression you could use ATF, but thanks for the info.

Im sure my 123 actually says to use ATF in the owners manual...

Jay

I am sure it says 'USE ATF ONLY' on the cap, same for all cars I have ever seen.

I have based my answer on the fact that when I was sold the fluid for the Autobox I was given two incorrect bottles labeled Hydraulic fluid.

When I took them back I was told they were for the steering and self levelling.

Also has anyone noticed the Power steering fluid smells like oil and the ATF smells like cat pee.

Here are the Febi part numbers MB steering fluid 000.989.88.03, and the ATF is 000.989.92.03

Look how close that is to the MB number A001 989 2 103 10. Interesting.

Found it and checked last night, and according to the dip stick it is overfilled - 1 cm above the max, and this was with an engine which had not reached full working temperature.

Wondering if this can do any damage, and if it could result in the scraping noise I hear?

Anders, just a quicky but was the car loaded or unloaded when you checked?

No, it was unloaded and the car had been driven some 4 hours earlier.

Bit strange that it is only on right turns. :confused:

Anders, check it with about 100Kg's in the back. You may find that it reads correctly then. Do a search for andy k's post about rear suspention, think you will find the answer to all your questions there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom