Prayers for Pilots!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
Not sure how many fellow flyers we have on here but thought I would share this, I have seen something similar but not quite like this!:D

1.Thou shalt abstain from the intersection takeoff for, verily, the runway behind thee, as the altitude above thee, cometh not to thine aid when thou needest them.

2. Thou shalt not linger on active runways lest thou become like unto ground sirloin.

3. Ignorest thou not thy checklists for many are the switches, handles, gauges and other demons awaiting to take cruel vengeance upon thee.

4. Thou shalt cast thine eyes to thy right and also to thy left as thou passeth through the firmament lest thy fellow pilots bring flowers to thy widow and comfort her in other ways.

5. Buzzeth not, for this shall surely incur the wrath of thy neighbors and the fury of the CAA shall be called down upon thy head.

6. Thou shalt be ever mindful of thy fuel lest there be nothing in thy tank to sustain thee upon the air and thy days be made short.

7. Trust not thine eyes to lead thee through the cloud lest the Archangel Gabriel await thee therein.

8. Thou shalt not trespass into the thunderstorm lest the tempest rend the wings from thy chariot and cast thee naked into the firmament.

9. Put not thy trust in weather prophets, for when the truth is not in, then they shall not accompany thee among thy ancestors.

10. Often shalt thou confirm thine airspeed on final lest the earth rise up and smite thee.

Not seen that one before, but there are a few about.
The weather rock :-

If the rock is wet, it's raining
If the rock is dry, it's not raining
If you can't see the rock, it's foggy
If the rock is white, it's snowing
I f the rock is moving it's windy
If the rock is jumping up and down, there is an earthquake.

Courtesey of Anbdy at Solent Flight.

The propellor is actually a fan to keep the pilot cool.

It's true!

Just watch him start to sweat when it stops…..

Got some silly sod on number 5 last summer, CAA confirmed the height and flight pattern......
200 feet doing silly tight slip turns over our town, a very silly thing to do, the pilot (trainer) was showing off to his student over his home town.
He was in the magistrate's court the week before Christmas.......

Don't understand any of this ...it's going right over my head.

Remember what they taught you in flight school-

-Airspeed
-Altitude
-Ideas

As long as you have 2 out of 3, you'll be ok. If you don't things get interesting in a hurry.

I must have said a prayer or two last Monday, take offs and landings in a 20 knot side wind.
Didn't quite need the brown trousers, but it was a close call.

I must have said a prayer or two last Monday, take offs and landings in a 20 knot side wind.
Didn't quite need the brown trousers, but it was a close call.

Try a carrier landing at night in the rain with 20mph winds for pucker factor. Those 3 arresting wires are awfully small! Roger Ball!:D

Seen a few!!! ex Fleet Air Arm photographer.

I made a few night landings myself - but thankfully never in the rain. Takeoffs are a lot more fun! Steam powered catapults and jets with afterburners on- at night. Nothing better. (I suppose accelerating in a F1 car would be a close second though)

And take a long time to pass overhead if you get a cold shot - my cousin had one of those from Ark Royal (the old proper one) in a Sea Venom, had to sit and watch the hull going overhead, waiting for the props before ejecting - and MB seats operate under water (or did in the 1950's, maybe early1960's) as he ended up flying Bucaneers before leaving the FAA (although still RNR to this day, got recalled some years back to fly cargo 747's to Saudi for Desert Storm) to fly commercial until he retired.

He (and another friend who was a Cathay 747 driver) described commercial pilot as hours and hours of absolute boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror - called take off and landing!

I made a few night landings myself - but thankfully never in the rain. Takeoffs are a lot more fun! Steam powered catapults and jets with afterburners on- at night. Nothing better. (I suppose accelerating in a F1 car would be a close second though)

At least with a take-off you have a large target (the sky) that stays in one place……..

At least with a take-off you have a large target (the sky) that stays in one place……..

well that's true with a jet. But when you're on a COD (carrier on board delivery plane) (a very heavy prop mail & supply plane) like a Grumman C2- it actually decelerates 150mph after being launched. More than one time they have been 10 feet off the water when they start climbing.

If its choppy out there- it's possible to launch them straight into the water!

it's possible to launch them straight into the water!

Last time I was on a carrier was long ago - as a child in 1969 on USS Saratoga - and I agree that both take-offs and landings are extremely hairy.

From my (very limited) experience at the controls of a single prop Cessna, flying out of and back to an airport with a runway long enough for a B757, in nice weather and daylight, I still believe that landings are more scary than take-offs.

At least in my case the runway stays in one place - anyone trying to land on a moving deck has my total respect!

Last time I was on a carrier was long ago - as a child in 1969 on USS Saratoga - and I agree that both take-offs and landings are extremely hairy.

From my (very limited) experience at the controls of a single prop Cessna, flying out of and back to an airport with a runway long enough for a B757, in nice weather and daylight, I still believe that landings are more scary than take-offs.

At least in my case the runway stays in one place - anyone trying to land on a moving deck has my total respect!

I did two WESTPAC Tours driving S3A's (anti submarine warfare planes) on the USS Kitty Hawk CV-63 and the USS Constellation CV-64. My last cruise was in 1976. I must be getting old- S3's are mothballed now, and both ships (and my squadron VS-37) have been decommissioned.

The last time I flew a plane was 2008 in Tanzania. The right Wingtip light was held on with racer's tape. Seems they had prior hit the end of a tree limb on takeoff. Now that was scary! Makes on wonder about the maintenance practices of bush planes!

Last edited:
He (and another friend who was a Cathay 747 driver) described commercial pilot as hours and hours of absolute boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror - called take off and landing!

Must have been Kai Tak then, that was always a fun landing......when I flew into HK I always used Cathay, always best to use driver whose on home turf there.

On approach you could see the washing on the lines on the apartment building balconies, not only that you were sometimes so close you could read the washing instructions :D

Must have been Kai Tak then, that was always a fun landing......when I flew into HK I always used Cathay, always best to use driver whose on home turf there.

On approach you could see the washing on the lines on the apartment building balconies, not only that you were sometimes so close you could read the washing instructions :D

Caius was indeed HK based for many years, flying in and out of Kai Tak. Apparently there's a large advertising hording on the hill you're flying at on finals - it read "When you can read this, turn sharp right"!! That lined you up with the runway.

Another cousin worked in HK for a while, living on about the 18th floor of a high rise - said he would stand on his balcony and look DOWN into the cockpit of planes on finals into Kai Tak - scary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom