Pre 1960 vehicles to be exempt from MOT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would have thought that was good news but apparently a lot of affected owners aren't happy about it - wonder why? They can still get an MOT done if they want to.

The complication for me is that I have my 1957 Ponton ( which is in no way fit to go back on the road , but could with a little work ) which was imported and first UK registered in 1964 .

It ought to qualify because it was manufactured before 1960 , and I do have a copy of the build card , together with a letter from Herr Von Pein at the museum confirming this , but nonetheless would expect difficulties at the Post Office if trying to 'tax' it for the first time in 15 years or so .

Given that I keep it insured , I ought to be able to apply for a zero rated tax disc , even though I have no intention of taking it on the road in its current condition .

I wonder what this will do to the cherished plate market and whether a car will still need an MOT to transfer a plate - could bring alot of plates to market from those barn finds .......

I wonder what this will do to the cherished plate market and whether a car will still need an MOT to transfer a plate - could bring alot of plates to market from those barn finds .......

That's a good point - hmmm...

bad news IMO.

If it is safe, then it would pass an MOT so no problem, an MOT is only £40ish. If it fails then it requires work to be made safe. simple.

whats the point? apart from making complete basket cases "roadworthy" for a quick buck, and also devaluing proper roadworthy examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom