Pre facelift E63 AMG 7g+ autobox issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve only used MSL Birmingham (so I can’t advise on MSL Bradford) and no idea if they do this kind of work or not - but could be worth a query to them? Else you may want to try and get recovery arranged to PCS in Hornden.

Whilst it’s quite some distance away, you will probably get the issue fixed first time round and not be spending and paying for repeat oil changes etc.

Looking back it seems Mr Sparkey made his own in December, not sure where if fits in between the inlet side, before the filter, after the filter.
Without knowing the detail, depending upon what it is and where it fits it could have introduced an air leak, which hasn't been resolved when it was removed, perhaps disturbing pipework or sensor.

Without knowing the detail, depending upon what it is and where it fits it could have introduced an air leak, which hasn't been resolved when it was removed, perhaps disturbing pipework or sensor.
There seems to be abit more to this thread than originally mentioned (thought) as for spacer never heard of 1🤫

I’ve only used MSL Birmingham (so I can’t advise on MSL Bradford) and no idea if they do this kind of work or not - but could be worth a query to them? Else you may want to try and get recovery arranged to PCS in Hornden.

Whilst it’s quite some distance away, you will probably get the issue fixed first time round and not be spending and paying for repeat oil changes etc.
There’s a lot of closer very good indys buddy (I know PCS is very good ) . He is in Yorkshire

What about this guy for any help ?

What about this guy for any help ?
Got it booked in with Delaceys of Huddersfield tomorrow, but we've had 3" of snow so far today and it's to continue until into the evening, so I've left the car at work and taken the works van home.
If it's possible to get it into them in the morning I will, but it may have to be after the weekend now.

Got it booked in with Delaceys of Huddersfield tomorrow, but we've had 3" of snow so far today and it's to continue until into the evening, so I've left the car at work and taken the works van home.
If it's possible to get it into them in the morning I will, but it may have to be after the weekend now.
Any news?

I've just got off the phone with Delaceys and they have nothing they can tell me.
The have checked the car with 'Star' before and after an hours test drive, and it shows no codes or faults.
The technition has experienced the rev flair whilst he was out in the car, but in his opinion it's not torque converter slip, he also said this would have shown up on Star.

So basically I'm no further forward.
It was supposed to be going to the gearbox place tomorrow, but I don't know now.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
I've just got off the phone with Delaceys and they have nothing they can tell me.
The have checked the car with 'Star' before and after an hours test drive, and it shows no codes or faults.
The technition has experienced the rev flair whilst he was out in the car, but in his opinion it's not torque converter slip, he also said this would have shown up on Star.

So basically I'm no further forward.
It was supposed to be going to the gearbox place tomorrow, but I don't know now.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Take it to mercedes maybe haha, probably a shit idea

Took it in on Friday, but told them to keep it over the weekend as the weather had been so bad.
From looking on my tracker, other than to park it inside, its not moved.
I expect they will have a look on Monday.
Did they mention of any coolant in the gearbox, or is this a red herring from the guy who did the first fluid change ?

Keep us updated.

The problem is this...
The gearbox place has already told me that he can't promise a new torque converter will solve the problem.
Lets say he opens the box and coolant is present - all well and good, get it sorted and problem over.
But if no coolant is present (which he already says he doubts after the last oil change) then the next step is to check and clean everything and swap the torque converter.
The torque converter is sealed, so you can't even tell if the clutches are low or not, until its all back together and you drive it to see if it fixed the problem.
I honestly don't care what the problem is, but I don't want to shell out £2k + unless I have to.

I'm dropping it off at the place that did my remap tomorrow, they have said they can flash it back to standard to see if it does anything.
They also said they can put it on the rolling road and pull some live data from it to see if anything untoward is going on.

This is my last port of call before I just go all in and get the gearbox stripped/torque converter done.

You have the 7g+ transmission with race start don't you?

If so, I don't think you even have a torque convertor.

From Wiki, info about the MCT Speedshift transmission fitted in a W212 E63.

Mercedes-AMG developed the 7-speed MCT "Multi Clutch Technology" planetary automatic transmission.

The MCT transmission is essentially the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission without a torque converter. Instead of a torque converter, it uses a compact wet startup clutch to launch the car from a stop and also supports computer-controlled double-clutching. The MCT (Multi-Clutch Technology) acronym refers to a planetary (automatic) transmission’s multiple clutches and bands for each gear.[9]

The MCT is fitted with four drive modes: “C” (Comfort), “S” (Sport), “S+” (Sport plus) and “M” (Manual) and boasts 100 millisecond shifts in "M" and "S+" modes. MCT-equipped cars are also fitted with the new AMG DRIVE UNIT with an innovative Race Start function. The AMG DRIVE UNIT is the central control unit for the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission and all driving dynamics functions. The driver can change gears either using the selector lever or by nudging the steering-wheel shift paddles. The new Race start Function is a launch control system that enables the driver to call on maximum acceleration while ensuring optimum traction of the driven wheels.

It is available on the 2009 SL 63 AMG and E63 AMG, and will be used for the 2011 S 63 AMG and CL 63 AMG, and the 2012 CLS 63 AMG and C 63 AMG.

Compulsory on the 2014 AMG CLS63 and E63 models, as well as their "S--Model" variants. Improved with the release of the 2015 model year, by decreasing the lag time between shifts.

From the info and not forgetting the flare in P video, it would point to an engine related issue be it a leak, software related or some sensor failure.
Re-creating the issue on a rolling road would be the perfect place to start with the capture of live parameters.

You have the 7g+ transmission with race start don't you?

If so, I don't think you even have a torque convertor.

From Wiki, info about the MCT Speedshift transmission fitted in a W212 E63.

Mercedes-AMG developed the 7-speed MCT "Multi Clutch Technology" planetary automatic transmission.

The MCT transmission is essentially the 7G-Tronic automatic transmission without a torque converter. Instead of a torque converter, it uses a compact wet startup clutch to launch the car from a stop and also supports computer-controlled double-clutching. The MCT (Multi-Clutch Technology) acronym refers to a planetary (automatic) transmission’s multiple clutches and bands for each gear.[9]

The MCT is fitted with four drive modes: “C” (Comfort), “S” (Sport), “S+” (Sport plus) and “M” (Manual) and boasts 100 millisecond shifts in "M" and "S+" modes. MCT-equipped cars are also fitted with the new AMG DRIVE UNIT with an innovative Race Start function. The AMG DRIVE UNIT is the central control unit for the AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT 7-speed sports transmission and all driving dynamics functions. The driver can change gears either using the selector lever or by nudging the steering-wheel shift paddles. The new Race start Function is a launch control system that enables the driver to call on maximum acceleration while ensuring optimum traction of the driven wheels.

It is available on the 2009 SL 63 AMG and E63 AMG, and will be used for the 2011 S 63 AMG and CL 63 AMG, and the 2012 CLS 63 AMG and C 63 AMG.

Compulsory on the 2014 AMG CLS63 and E63 models, as well as their "S--Model" variants. Improved with the release of the 2015 model year, by decreasing the lag time between shifts.
You are right, but all the gearbox places refer to it being a torque converter.
The clutch packs are fully sealed within them.
You can get remanufactured ones, but the gearbox place I maybe using, only use genuine Mercedes ones.
Here's what they look like.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600r.jpg
    s-l1600r.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l1600s.jpg
    s-l1600s.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 3
^ I believe a few indies use this place for remanufactured torque convertors.

From the info and not forgetting the flare in P video, it would point to an engine related issue be it a leak, software related or some sensor failure.
Re-creating the issue on a rolling road would be the perfect place to start with the capture of live parameters.
I'm still hoping this to be true,
The fact that even when it flairs when driving, no matter how much more power you add, it doesn't slip.
Surely if the clutch/clutch packs were slipping, more power would make them slip more....and they don't.

^ I believe a few indies use this place for remanufactured torque convertors.

Many thanks for this, they could be well worth a call. 👍

Infact I've just emailed them for a quote.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom