Pre facelift E63 AMG 7g+ autobox issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many thanks for this, they could be well worth a call. 👍

Infact I've just emailed them for a quote.
£630 for a remanufactured starter clutch (that's what they call it).
None in stock, so it's a send your old one and have that refurbished.
2 days + delivery each side.

£630 for a remanufactured starter clutch (that's what they call it).
None in stock, so it's a send your old one and have that refurbished.
2 days + delivery each side.
Surely it can't be the clutch though because it happens in park?

So I'll update this thread with the outcome of what the actual problem was....yes it's now fixed!

Ready for this......
Throttle body needed re adapting/throttle actuation :rolleyes:
The rev flair wasn't clutch slip at all but the throttle body chucking a wobbler.

I had the gearbox oil dropped again today, just to make sure everything was ok, and as I/we suspected there was no evidence of water in the oil.

So that's it, the car is back to normal and driving smoother than ever.

I'd like to thank all who gave their input.

So I'll update this thread with the outcome of what the actual problem was....yes it's now fixed!

Ready for this......
Throttle body needed re adapting/throttle actuation :rolleyes:
The rev flair wasn't clutch slip at all but the throttle body chucking a wobbler.

I had the gearbox oil dropped again today, just to make sure everything was ok, and as I/we suspected there was no evidence of water in the oil.

So that's it, the car is back to normal and driving smoother than ever.

I'd like to thank all who gave their input.
Wow fantastic stuff buddy .

Does that mean the other garage were trying to pull a fast one by creating work that didn't exist and pouring coolant in the oil... Given they joy rode it I wouldn't be surprised.
There is nothing wrong with that box, They quoted £3000+ for something that would have not fixed the problem.

Glad it all got sorted and sharing with us, that garage is now officially named and shamed 👍

^ I'd be very tempted to call in and let them know how their £3k fix would have played out if you'd gone ahead with their advice..

That was the company yes.

^ I'd be very tempted to call in and let them know how their £3k fix would have played out if you'd gone ahead with their advice..
I'd imagine in order to get the car back, I would have had to pay the bill.
I actually told them to just go ahead and sort it.....if only he hadn't decided to take the car home, I'd have never known!

A lesson to anyone here, get yourself a tracker, they're not even expensive, mine was £50 and costs me £5 a month to see everything!
Vehicle Tracking & GPS Tracking Solutions | TruTrak | UK

I'd imagine in order to get the car back, I would have had to pay the bill.
I actually told them to just go ahead and sort it.....if only he hadn't decided to take the car home, I'd have never known!

A lesson to anyone here, get yourself a tracker, they're not even expensive, mine was £50 and costs me £5 a month to see everything!
Vehicle Tracking & GPS Tracking Solutions | TruTrak | UK
did he actually say that your oil was contaminated with water?, this sounds like something for trading standards.

Reminds me of many years ago when the great motorcycle racer Kenny Roberts was complaining about clutch slip while flat out in top gear on the 'back stretch' at Daytona (197X) The Yamaha Factory bod's couldn't find the solution...until someone went to the stands on the back stretch and noticed black lines on the tarmac.

It was not clutch slip , it was wheelspin . The massively powerful Yamaha engine had overcome aerodynamic and tyre technology available at that time. KR was of course the first road racer to spin his rear wheel on purpose on the exit of a corner during a race on tarmac circuits, and the first to wear knee sliders. They all do it now.

Sorry for the hijack. In Kenny's case , it wasn't the clutch. :)

Last edited:
Reminds me of many years ago when the great motorcycle racer Kenny Roberts was complaining about clutch slip while flat out in top gear on the 'back stretch' at Daytona (197X) The Yamaha Factory bod's couldn't find the solution...until someone went to the stands on the back stretch and noticed black lines on the tarmac.

It was not clutch slip , it was wheelspin . The massively powerful Yamaha engine had overcome aerodynamic and tyre technology available at that time. KR was of course the first road racer to spin his rear wheel on purpose on the exit of a corner during a race on tarmac circuits, and the first to wear knee sliders. They all do it now.

Sorry for the hijack. In Kenny's case , it wasn't the clutch. :)
Now your talking, remember watching Kenny at Mallory Park, he thrashed everybody with his unique style in the soaking wet that day, brilliant.

Oh, glad you got your car sorted Sparkey. Who can you ever trust these days ?
Bloody water in the gearbox !! Makes you so angry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom