Pre-facelift s203/C240 Buying advice plse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RafflesNH

OK, done my soppy newbie intros last night, so it's payback time. :eek:

Think I'm going to regret this but have my dodgy ticker set on a MY2002 74000 miler C240 Avantgarde Auto estate (S203) with SatNav in my fave colour metallic red. The wheeler-dealer (non franchised) wants £5995 for this 2 keeper car, but I only have a budget of £5K tops for the car itself, plus my 2000MY Vectra Auto Estate on 58K miles in p/x.

As I've never owned a Merc in my life, would I still get an upgraded experience over my Vectra driving one of these flawed compact Mercs, other than simply having the 3-pointed star on the bonnet?

I realise they have many potential issues, but should I really be paranoid about the old tin-worm. Chances are that it came from S. Africa with no sealant in the door panels, but couldn't a reasonably competent DIY'er keep that at bay with judicious use of a gallon or three of Finnigans Waxoil? :dk:

Any and all thoughts on this ticking time-bomb much appreciated.......I think!! :crazy:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Merc's are great cars, although unfortunatley they went through a bit of a rough patch with rust in the late 90's early 00's.

As for rust, is there any sign of it yet? Common areas on the 203 are the wheel arches, boot lid, bonnet and the door sills (almost everything bar the roof!). If the car has / had a full Mercedes dealer service history then it would have been covered (and may still well be) by the Mercedes paint warranty. It's possible it's already been repaired :)

You didn't mention anything about the service history on the car or whether it has a leather interior - both of these also have an impact on the price.

Other desirable extras are parktronic (parking sensors front and rear) as well as the phone integration (although the support for phones isn't great now as the factory MB kits only supported specific Nokia handsets - other solutions are now available thankfully!).

Worth checking when the spark plugs were last changed, IIRC it's recommended at either 4 or 6 years, other than that not a lot much else to report.

Minor electrical issues occur, 203's have had some issues with the wiring loom under the drivers seat becoming chaffed (blows fuses and stops the electric adjustment / mirrors working). More expensive is the stepper motors for the air con, if you hear a loud knocking from behind the dash on startup that's what that is.

The only other thing I can think of is that 203's (in common with other Mercs and many other modern cars) is that they suffer from Springs snapping too!

Many will say the facelift 203's are more desirable and better put together, they may well be right. However you'd be spending more to get into one. We have a pre-facelift 203 (C320) that's been fantastic other than the rust which was sorted out by MB last year.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Merc's are great cars, although unfortunatley they went through a bit of a rough patch with rust in the late 90's early 00's.

Yes, so I gather!

As for rust, is there any sign of it yet?

Haven't been to see it yet, as it's about 120 miles away from where I live.

Common areas on the 203 are the wheel arches, boot lid, bonnet and the door sills (almost everything bar the roof!). If the car has / had a full Mercedes dealer service history then it would have been covered (and may still well be) by the Mercedes paint warranty. It's possible it's already been repaired :)

Ah, that's interesting. So they do cover this problem under warranty then? I don't think there are any receipts/invoices to prove work done, so can't say. I'll check with them about this.

If it turns out the car hasn't been into MB dealership for servicing within last 2 years, and I end up having to deal with the rust myself, have you any idea how feasible that would be in prevention terms, or does the tin worm have other ideas?

You didn't mention anything about the service history on the car or whether it has a leather interior - both of these also have an impact on the price.

Had to ask dealer about S/H as none stated in the ad, but he wrote back to say it was Full MB S/H up to last one, at 65K, which was done by an independent. Has also stated will give it a fresh service before sale.

Yes, it has the leather and 'Phone prep'.

Other desirable extras are parktronic (parking sensors front and rear) as well as the phone integration (although the support for phones isn't great now as the factory MB kits only supported specific Nokia handsets - other solutions are now available thankfully!).

No parktronic, unfortunately. :(

Worth checking when the spark plugs were last changed, IIRC it's recommended at either 4 or 6 years, other than that not a lot much else to report.

Will do, cheers.

Minor electrical issues occur, 203's have had some issues with the wiring loom under the drivers seat becoming chaffed (blows fuses and stops the electric adjustment / mirrors working). More expensive is the stepper motors for the air con, if you hear a loud knocking from behind the dash on startup that's what that is.

eek!

The only other thing I can think of is that 203's (in common with other Mercs and many other modern cars) is that they suffer from Springs snapping too!

Many will say the facelift 203's are more desirable and better put together, they may well be right. However you'd be spending more to get into one. We have a pre-facelift 203 (C320) that's been fantastic other than the rust which was sorted out by MB last year.

Yes, hence my stating only having £5K plus p/x. I would need about another £3K for the facelift with some toys, hence my dilemma. Should I deal or no deal on the pre-facelift, and buy something older but better built instead? Unfortunately, I rather like the more compact dimensions of this series car.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply with your f/h experience! :rock:

I assume this is the car?
2002 MERCEDES-BENZ C240 Avantgarde
If so, it certainly looks like a very tidy example with quite low miles considering its age. You may be able to knock the price down a little too. My advice would be to give your Vectra a good polish before going to view the Mercedes to improve the trade in price a little. If I were you I'd also get it HPI'd just a precaution as you should with all cars, and other than that best of luck. One piece of advice as regards 203 Avantgardes of that era is to check the alloys for corrosion as often the finish can flake off or get damaged if the wheels aren't kept nice and clean.

Indeed it is! Well done Sherlock!

Damn, now EVERYONE will want it!! :doh:

If so, it certainly looks like a very tidy example with quite low miles considering its age. You may be able to knock the price down a little too.

Any ideas on how much? I'm lousy at bargaining.:crazy:

My advice would be to give your Vectra a good polish before going to view the Mercedes to improve the trade in price a little.

Polishing away as we speak.. errm

If I were you I'd also get it HPI'd just a precaution as you should with all cars, and other than that best of luck.

Another HPI check? They say that it already comes with one. Can they (HPI's) be dodgy, then?

One piece of advice as regards 203 Avantgardes of that era is to check the alloys for corrosion as often the finish can flake off or get damaged if the wheels aren't kept nice and clean.

Already used the 3x HD-Zoom magnifier on their other website to check them out: LOL
USED MERCEDES-BENZ C CLASS C240 AVANTGARDE AUTO 2.6 Auto SAT NAV PHONE PREP, Melksham, Wiltshire

Thanks for chipping in though. :thumb:

That looks a nice motor, can't see any signs of the dreaded tinworm where my July 2001 S203 has it - along the bottom of both offside doors and lip of both rear wheel arches. I paid £6k for my 67k miles one owner full MBSH C270 Elegance 18 months ago.

Check for clunks from the front suspension when going over potholes etc - they're prone to wear on the front ARB bushes, lower link bushes and connecting rod rose joints - 4 hours to strip it all out and replace the offending items, thus returning the car to it's proper magic carpet ride!

Shame whoever fitted the wheels/tyres put the balance weights on the outside.

That looks a nice motor, can't see any signs of the dreaded tinworm where my July 2001 S203 has it - along the bottom of both offside doors and lip of both rear wheel arches. I paid £6k for my 67k miles one owner full MBSH C270 Elegance 18 months ago.

Oh dear. Just wot I feared. Maybe that's the reason why my find looks so good; it's been 'repaired' already?! Are you going to get your repairs done under the warranty? Bet that'll involve loads of Isopon too. Yuck.

Check for clunks from the front suspension when going over potholes etc - they're prone to wear on the front ARB bushes, lower link bushes and connecting rod rose joints - 4 hours to strip it all out and replace the offending items, thus returning the car to it's proper magic carpet ride!

hmmm. More expense. Guess I should get an independent inspection done first.

Shame whoever fitted the wheels/tyres put the balance weights on the outside.

Well spotted!

All useful stuff. Thanks guys.

Oh dear. Just wot I feared. Maybe that's the reason why my find looks so good; it's been 'repaired' already?! Are you going to get your repairs done under the warranty? Bet that'll involve loads of Isopon too. Yuck..
The quality of rust repairs were of a high standard with my car (W210) 3 doors replaced and new boot lid, I was more than happy with it, unfortunately rust has come back again now and I don't think they would repair it again due to the cars age. Still it is a good excuse for me to upgrade to a newer car :thumb:

I fully expect to be shot down, but I do believe estates were built in Germany, not Sit Efrika.

The quality of rust repairs were of a high standard with my car (W210) 3 doors replaced and new boot lid, I was more than happy with it, unfortunately rust has come back again now and I don't think they would repair it again due to the cars age. Still it is a good excuse for me to upgrade to a newer car :thumb:

Yep, couldn't take the chance. Decided on a Beemer instead. Got a 2002 520i Touring with lots of toys incl SatNav and with only 85K on the clock for £4K plus £1K for the Vectra in p/x. Almost full BMWSH up to 10K miles ago, with indie afterwards. Loads of expensive bills to show for it, and you could cook your breakfast off the engine! :crazy:

Paint's a bit scruffy, but dealer repainted both bumpers off-car for me, all-in. Just some dull (silver) paint with tell-tale car wash swirls to polish out now, and the alloys are all a bit kerbed to boot. Still, I budgeted on £6K for a pristine Merc, so the extra grand or so I now have can be spent on getting her well up to scratch. ('scuse pun!)

Guess the Merc will have to wait a bit longer, but don't hold your breath! LOL

Thanks again for your kind help, and sorry our acquaintance was but a fleeting one. :(

My best wishes to you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom