Pre OBD2 workaround help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackestate

Car
C240 sports estate
Hi All. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2000 C240 estate (W202) with 112k on the clock which has run perfectly since I bought it some 18 months ago. I'm a keen and competent DIY mechanic.
The car has began to fail to restart once warmed up and throws up an engine fault light. Opening the bonnet and thumping the fuse box seems to help. So far it has always restarted. If I could read the fault code it would be simple but there doesn't seem to be a reasonable priced reader on the market that works with this car. Is there any cheap device out there? or a workaround that allows access to the codes? Back in the 80s I used to work on american cars that had engine management and we could coerce them with a hair pin stuck in the right pins to flash their codes on the ign light. Does anyone know of a work around for the W202?
Thanks for reading this.

A 2000 C240 should work fine with OBDII - you need to open the bonnet, have a look at the top right box (by the accelerator cable) and you undo the circular cover to reveal the 38 pin socket.

I am not sure what year the standard 16 pin socket was made available on mercs, but have a look around the bonnet release area to see if you have one.

If you have an OBDII reader, you'll need to get a OBDII to Mercedes 38 pin circular adapter to be able to connect. I did this, and can read and reset codes all fine. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38-PIN-OB...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a83cafbf3)

BTW the warm fail to restart issue i believe is a cam or crank sensor...

Mine was the last not to have OBD2 it changed in July 2000. What OBD2 Reader do you use? I would be glad to by one if I was sure it was going to work. Thanks for your reply

I can read OBDII codes on my 1998 c240, you just don't get the live OBDII data. I've used anything from a cheap 10 quid reader, through to my autel eu709. All using the obd to mercedes adapter.

Hi All. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2000 C240 estate (W202) with 112k on the clock which has run perfectly since I bought it some 18 months ago. I'm a keen and competent DIY mechanic.
The car has began to fail to restart once warmed up and throws up an engine fault light. Opening the bonnet and thumping the fuse box seems to help. So far it has always restarted. If I could read the fault code it would be simple but there doesn't seem to be a reasonable priced reader on the market that works with this car. Is there any cheap device out there? or a workaround that allows access to the codes? Back in the 80s I used to work on american cars that had engine management and we could coerce them with a hair pin stuck in the right pins to flash their codes on the ign light. Does anyone know of a work around for the W202?
Thanks for reading this.

There should be a 16 pin connector in the drivers footwell just below steering wheel.. Next to bonnet release lever, here's mine

ForumRunner_20130818_103757.jpg

There should be a 16 pin connector in the drivers footwell just below steering wheel.. Next to bonnet release lever, here's mine

From what the O/p says, his car doesn't have the OBDII connector.

However, it will still be outputting K and L line information from the Mercedes 38 pin socket.

From what the O/p says, his car doesn't have the OBDII connector.

However, it will still be outputting K and L line information from the Mercedes 38 pin socket.

I was only saying because I was told that mine wouldn't have the 16 pin in my car but after a quick look I found that it was...

Yes.

Any OBDII scanner will see all the codes, that the point of OBDII.

Drama over I hope

:cool: Problem solved for now!
Went to see my friendly local garage who have a Launch diagnostic reader which read the system OK. They confirmed Seymansey's diagnoses that the crank angle sensor was faulty. Only charged me a tenner! Popped into Eurowotsits and spent £60 on a new one. Easy to fit once you get over only being able to see it or touch it but not both at the same time. oh yes and not having slim girls hands. So fixed until the next time. I have ordered a 38 to 16 cable and a cheap reader of of the bay. Thanks to all who took the time to reply with advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom