Pre-Wiring for Garmin Map Pilot Navigation System,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmancdi

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes E320 cdi sport ,vw Tiguan R line , M B cls , bmw convertible
Saw car with nav fitted but it ad it states Pre-Wiring for Garmin Map Pilot Navigation System,
What is the meaning of this I know it’s audio 20 with nav button etc so is sat nav there or to be added.

Garmin Map Pilot is provided on an SD-card. You're car will have an SD-Card slot somewhere, either in the Audio20 unit itself (older models) or around the centre console (newer models).

Pressing the NAVI button with bring-up the Garmin Map Pilot satnav system from the SD-Card on the Audio20 display.

The SD-Card contains both the navigation software and the maps data, so make sure you purchase the latest version.

Dealers charge £499 for a first-time SD-Card, or £99 for an Update SD-Card. The contents on either is exactly the same, and members on here reported that they were able to successfully use the £99 Update SD-Card in cars that never had Garmin Map Pilot before, but proceed at your own risk.

Also, the Garmin Map Pilot SD-Cards are available for less from eBay and Amazon, though some members here reported that the TomTom Live Traffic data wasn't working on the cards purchased online. So, again, proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:
Garmin Map Pilot is provided on an SD-card. You're car will have an SD-Card slot somewhere, either in the Audio20 unit itself (older models) or around the centre console (newer models).

Pressing the NAVI button with bring-up the Garmin Map Pilot satnav system from the SD-Card on the Audio20 display.

The SD-Card contains both the navigation software and the maps data, so make sure you purchase the latest version.

Dealers charge £499 for a first-time SD-Card, or £99 for an Update SD-Card. The contents on either is exactly the same, and members on here reported that they were able to successfully use the £99 Update SD-Card in cars that never had Garmin Map Pilot before, but proceed at your own risk.

Also, the Garmin Map Pilot SD-Cards are available for less from eBay and Amazon, though some members here reported that the TomTom Live Traffic data wasn't working on the cards purchased online. So, again, proceed at your own risk.
Thank you it’s a late 2016 , I assume the garmin is just as good as command I have it in my cls it’s ok as it has dvd etc but maps are just ok , I always found my I phone google maps directions much better than the car.
thanks.

On rereading your post, it seems that the car has the Garmin Map Pilot already fitted? If so, then you may still need to fork-out for the SD-Card if the one fitted is an older version.

The 'pre-wiring', BTW, means that the satnav hardware (GPS antenna and navigation processor) are already fitted to the car from the factory, all that it needs on top is the SD-Card, and it seems that the original owner (or other previous owner) already purchased that.

Thank you it’s a late 2016 , I assume the garmin is just as good as command I have it in my cls it’s ok as it has dvd etc but maps are just ok , I always found my I phone google maps directions much better than the car.
thanks.

COMAND is generally the better system all around, both in terms of navigation system, display quality, and audio/sound quality, but Audio20 with Garmin Map Pilot will also do the job.

That said, Waze or Apple Maps / Google maps will always be the better satnav solution, because the maps are updated dynamically, you get speed camera warning, and speeding warning, always up to date, and the live traffic is sourced from a very large number of road users. And there's no annual service or update cost.

The only downside of smartphone navigation is that their navigation processor and the GPS antenna are usually not as fast or powerful as the ones fitted to the car.

If you don't want a mobile phone cradle stuck on the dash, you can look at adding Apple CarPlay / Android Auto to the Audio20 unit.

This is what I have discovered it has. I can’t get the vin etc until she gets back from holiday .
It’s pretty well loaded would you agree.
Agility Control Comfort Suspension
Audio 20 CD
DAB Digital Radio Tuner
Direct-Steer Speed Sensitive Steering
EASY-PACK Load Compartment Cover - Removable
EASY-PACK Powered Tailgate
Floor Mats - Velour Mats in Interior Colour
Front Door Sills with Mercedes-Benz Lettering
Garmin Map Pilot Navigation System with Live Traffic Information
Glove Compartment Illuminated and Lockable
Headlamps - LED High Performance with Integral LED Daytime Running Lights
Headlight Assist - Automatic Headlight Activation
High-Resolution 7in Multimedia Colour Display
Instrument Cluster with 5.5in TFT Multifunction Display
Interior Lighting Package
KEYLESS-GO Starting Function
LED Tail Lights
Mercedes Connect Me - Standard Services
Pre-Wiring for Garmin Map Pilot Navigation System
Rain Sensing Windscreen Wipers
Remote Boot Release
Seats - Front Electrically Adjustable
Seats - Heated Front
Speakers with Frontbass x5
Steering Column - Manually Adjustable for Height and Reach
Steering Column Gear Selector - DIRECT SELECT Steering Wheel Gearshift Paddles - SPEEDTRONIC Cruise Control with Variable Speed Limiter
Steering Wheel - 3-Spoke Multi-Function - Trimmed in Leather
Stowage - Dividing Net for Luggage Compartment Partitioning and Occupant Protection
Stowage - Double Cup Holder in Centre Console
Stowage Package
Sun Visors with Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
Thermatic - Automatic Climate Control
Trim - Black Ash Wood Look
Two USB Ports in Centre Console
Exterior features
18in Alloy Wheels - 5-Spoke Design - Painted Vanadium Silver
Chrome Trim - Front - Side and Rear
Electric Windows - 4 - With One-Touch Opening and Closing - including Obstruction Sensors
Heated Windscreen Washer System
Mirror Package - Electrically Folding Mirrors-Automatically Dimming Exterior Drivers Mirror and Rear-View Mirror
Privacy Glass - From B-Pillar Backwards
Radiator Grille with Integrated Star - Two Chrome-Trimmed Louvres
Roof Rails - Aluminium Finish
TIREFIT Tyre-Sealant Kit
Tinted Glass All Round - Single-Layer Safety Glass
Visible Tailpipe Exhaust Trim Integrated into Rear Bumper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom