Preffered engine oil check.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
Just curious to what owners prefer. The manual check using the dipstick, or the digital check via the instrument cluster.

Having had the E55k I had the digital check option. As well as the manual workshop dipstick tool. That I also used to use.

Now I only have the manual oil level check option with the dipstick on my E63 6.2

The S211 e320 CDI has the digital option on our car. The digital check is much more straight forward and if sensors are all working correctly is perfect, but there is always that fear they could fail at some point.

I personally like the both options, but the digital check is a lot easier it has to be said.

It's also strange that the cars with a manual check dipstick option can't be checked via the instrument cluster as a back up method if you like.

Just curious as to what most owners prefer.

I prefer the dipstick method. You can actually see what the level is.
Whichever you have, if the oil is low you get a reminder.

Manual check with dipstick every time as I would never trust an electronic gauge.,

A low level warning would be sensible but a gauge is one of the most useless bits of inaccurate, over complicated nonsense in modern cars. My car burns a negligible amount of oil between changes so I have no use for a gauge even if they worked.

I prefer the dipstick method. You can actually see what the level is.
Whichever you have, if the oil is low you get a reminder.

True enough Roger, but the digital method suggests how much to add. Also can the digital method fail sometime.

I don't have a digital way to check my oil level, so only one option which works fine for me.

The manual method is definitely more a effort to add the correct amount to reach capicty

I can't comment on newer cars past 2009. But aren't most modern cars digital check mostly.

I prefer the dipstick, mainly because I don't know whether or not it could be done digitally, though I think it would be possible if I could be bothered to check.
The bit about Merc dipsticks I feel is odd, or unusual is that the engine has to be at working temp and checked within 30 mins of switching off.
Most other vehicles I've owned could be checked cold on level ground and topped up (cold) as necessary. Why?

I suppose when a car suggest checking oil level at next refueling it's a low oil indication. So really it's still a sensor giving warning.

I prefer the dipstick, mainly because I don't know whether or not it could be done digitally, though I think it would be possible if I could be bothered to check.
The bit about Merc dipsticks I feel is odd, or unusual is that the engine has to be at working temp and checked within 30 mins of switching off.
Most other vehicles I've owned could be checked cold on level ground and topped up (cold) as necessary. Why?

Totally agree on the checking period. Once up to temp. Then check 5/10 mins after shutdown. Is a pain it has to be said

I would rather have a dipstick and digital measure. On cars with one I wish for the other, and vice versa.

Only a week or so ago I had a low oil level warning (in the Mercedes Me app) whilst I was away from home, and in howling rain, in a car with only a dipstick, and I wished for a digital readout!

I didn't know that, I wonder if it makes much difference ? how accurate must your level be, I know its important when changing transmission oil,
but engine oil level ?

I didn't know that, I wonder if it makes much difference ? how accurate must your level be, I know its important when changing transmission oil,
but engine oil level ?
The manual usually says to check 5 minutes after switching off if the engine is up to full operating temperature, OR 30 minutes after switching off if the engine was run but only for a short period of time.

Warm oil drains back down to the sump more quickly than cold oil.

but engine oil level ?
Anywhere between min and max, ideally around the mid point. That’s probably a range of 2 litres so between minimum and maximum.

Golden rule with engine oil is to never overfill.

Max is just that, max, not ideal, not a target. More oil doesn’t offer great protection. Top up in small increments, and if needs be, check up and top up again on your next journey.

The manual usually says to check 5 minutes after switching off if the engine is up to full operating temperature, OR 30 minutes after switching off if the engine was run but only for a short period of time.

Warm oil drains back down to the sump more quickly than cold oil.

So checking it cold before starting, when all the oil is in the sump, is not accurate ? Strange as there must be a fair tolerance.

I prefer the manual method. Having a dipstick is also handy if you need to check the oil's condition (when buying etc). It also proved handy to see if there was water getting into the oil on m W210 when I had water escaping into the engine.

So checking it cold before starting, when all the oil is in the sump, is not accurate ? Strange as there must be a fair tolerance.
It will probably be OK as when the engine is completely cold the maximum amount of oil should be in the sump, but the best procedure is that recommended by Mercedes, which is 5 minutes after switching off (when the engine is up to full operating temperature).

Warm engine, switch off and stand for a couple of minutes on level ground and a dipstick. Then you can see directly what you have. I don't have a dipstick so I go through the same routine before asking my car if it has enough oil.

I'm with you; I see nothing wrong with checking it cold after the car has been standing overnight. I rather think that the recommended method: "The manual usually says to check 5 minutes after switching off if the engine is up to full operating temperature, OR 30 minutes after switching off if the engine was run but only for a short period of time." means it is checked when virtually all the oil that is going to do so has drained down in the sump, and I don't believe that there will be more than a minute difference between leaving it 30 minutes and leaving it overnight.

The object of the exercise is to be sure an accurate reading is taken, with all the oil (apart from the small amount, akin to 'engineering fuel' on an airliner, which cannot be drained except by dismantling) in the sump, and the manual would be clearer if it said: "Check no sooner than"...etc.

When its due its weekly dipstick oil check, I follow the same routine that I have always used...1st thing in the morning, before starting the engine. And thats it. After each oil change, where I have replaced the old oil with the recommended 6.5 Ltrs, and checked it's at the correct level, I check it again when it's cold, and its invariably at the correct level. So that's my method. 🤣 And its never failed me yet !! Now if they had included an electronic transmission oil level check in the 722.9 boxe's, I'd be very interested in that. Or if anyone knows if it's possible to check the level with iCarsoft? :banana::thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom