premature service indicator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hixy

Car
c class
just wondering how many service indicators have come on early than scheduled , mine has come on 6000miles early or is due in march next year .

Please tell us how many miles and months since your last service:eek:

You are not being very clear. Is it saying you need a service now...or in 6000 miles time? In any event the mileage between services is not a fixed amount...the time is, if you don't do many miles.

just wondering how many service indicators have come on early than scheduled , mine has come on 6000miles early or is due in march next year .

On pre-2007 cars, servicing is flexible and not at fixed time intervals.

On low mileage cars, the service indicator will typically come up at any point of time between 12 and 24 months.

From 2007 onwards, service is required every 12 months or at a set mileage, whichever comes first.

The 'set mileage' figure is generally between 9,000 and 15,000 miles, depending on the car/engine and on the type of oil and filter used.

Last edited:
just wondering how many service indicators have come on early than scheduled... .

Incidentally, car manufacturers try and stretch service intervals as far as possible, not bring them forward.

This is because lengthy intervals and high mileage between scheduled services mean that the cars appear cheaper to run when fleet operators' bean-counters do the math.

And the long term ill effects of minimal servicing will only come to light long after the new car warranty has expired.

If anything, manufacturers service schedules should be taken as absolute minimum - of you intend to keep the car for the longer term, then I suggest that you don't wait 4 years before replacing the air filter, or accept that the autobox is 'sealed for life', etc.

Last edited:
You are not being very clear. Is it saying you need a service now...or in 6000 miles time? In any event the mileage between services is not a fixed amount...the time is, if you don't do many miles.

Sorry ,mileage is coming up to 58000 miles and the indicator has come on saying service in 400 miles which puts the mileage at 58000, phoned MB to book a service and they said it is due in march next year or 64000 whichever comes first so i explained that the mileage is only 58000 to which they said to ignore the indicator and they will email me near to the date due , they didn't really have an answer to why the indicator has come on early and they could not reset the indicator either . My car is a 2012 c class 1.6 petrol with mb service history if that helps.

Sorry ,mileage is coming up to 58000 miles and the indicator has come on saying service in 400 miles which puts the mileage at 58000, phoned MB to book a service and they said it is due in march next year or 64000 whichever comes first so i explained that the mileage is only 58000 to which they said to ignore the indicator and they will email me near to the date due , they didn't really have an answer to why the indicator has come on early and they could not reset the indicator either . My car is a 2012 c class 1.6 petrol with mb service history if that helps.

When was it last serviced, and what was the mileage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom