Premium hike question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
So... My 211 renewal came through the door. £1.00 more than last year :bannana:

Told them I wanted wifie on to the policy which took it back down a whole £1.00 :bannana:

Told them of the claim I had made on my classic policy (different company) in April for no fault incident. Premium went up £40.00 :mad:

Asked why? and was told it was a mark against my driving/claim record.

Stupid girl told me it would have 'highlighted' when my renewal came up on the 17th. I asked why it hadn't been included in the quotation they had just sent. No answer to that.

Are these people taking the pi$$?

So... My 211 renewal came through the door. £1.00 more than last year :bannana:

Told them I wanted wifie on to the policy which took it back down a whole £1.00 :bannana:

Told them of the claim I had made on my classic policy (different company) in April for no fault incident. Premium went up £40.00 :mad:

Asked why? and was told it was a mark against my driving/claim record.

Stupid girl told me it would have 'highlighted' when my renewal came up on the 17th. I asked why it hadn't been included in the quotation they had just sent. No answer to that.

Are these people taking the pi$$?

YES the Borg will take any opportunity to jack your premium up. It's their "prime directive" your only effective weapon is to threaten to leave the "collective" ;)

I purposely move my insurance round every couple of years to get the best price, otherwise they extract the yellow stuff.

I sneezed when talking to the insurance salesman on the phone and he bumped it 20 quid:D any excuss to raise it up.

On the plus side, My M5 getting written off by a fail to stop HGV 'so a fault claim' £29000, + £5000 of crash barrier 'yup got billed for that too', the next month my other half driving my new car hitting parked vehicle 'on my policy so fault claim' £15000................do the sums and look at the total for 1 year..Iv kinda had my monies worth.

............but my premium now is eye watering:(

Update. Following Bears suggestion I've put all the relevant details into comparethemeerkat. Including the +wifie and the April claim and it came up with a quote of £40 less then the inflated one in the OP.

From the same friggin company :eek:

so...do I just innocently proceed with that on-line, or phone them, or what?

The daft thing about this is...the claim in April was for the burst pipe in the garage which flooded the SL and resulted in new seats. If I'd gone down the road of claiming against my house policy instead of the classic car one I wouldn't have had a 'black mark' and ironically it would have been the 211 insurance company that would have had to pay out cos the house is insured with them too.

Last edited:
Have you tried getting an online quote from the same company directly? Might be worth doing in case that's cheaper than through the Meerkat!!

If you want to continue doing business with the insurance company, I would ask them to match/beat your best quote.

If they refuse or can't match/beat, then ask to be put through to the customer retention team. They usually have a little discretion to adjust pricing.

Don't think you get away with that as you will find that is a discounted quote for " new business" and not for existing policy holders. Only way is to move insurance companies to get that "introductory discount" Try all the comparison sites since many companies on one site are underwritten by the same conglomerate - the names are really only a marketing front

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance#step2

Last edited:
I've never had a problem with getting my existing insurer accepting my take up of an online quote. I used to do it every year on both cars until recently - the last two renewals have been cheaper, so not needed to do it.

Derek, "blame/fault" in insurance terms really only means whether costs are recoverable or not.In the case of the burst pipes, there was no other party to recover costs from therefore it is classed as "at fault". You must therefore when inputting details put it down as an at fault claim - maybe this is where the £40 difference lies? Did you put it in as non-fault?
It will not, of course, affect your NCB on the 211.

I would phone your insurer and tell them what you have been quoted by them online, and they should match it.
I'm with Direct Line and they did it for me...

Don't think you get away with that as you will find that is a discounted quote for " new business" and not for existing policy holders. Only way is to move insurance companies to get that "introductory discount" Try all the comparison sites since many companies on one site are underwritten by the same conglomerate - the names are really only a marketing front

Cheap Car Insurance: Compare 200+ quotes & grab hidden cashback...

If when he's input the quote details he's named the previous insurer as them they can't really get out of it? These days, it's not as if new applications are "proof-read" anyway - the client does that for them :(

yes phone them to see if they will match it (makes it all a lot easier) otherwise cancel and start the new cheaper policy.

i always change companies, as the renewal is always more expensive than i can get elsewhere, especially with cashback (ie Top CashBack - The UK's Most Generous CashBack Site, quidco, cashbackkings etc etc) - £70 off last year.

Some insurance companies dont charge more for non-fault claims (direct line), where as some do (Admiral Grp and the companies they own (Bell, Elephant etc) but i suppose your flood claim may of been classed as your fault, as there wasnt a Third Party involved?

cheers

Derek

Result. Following above advice I'd contacted the 'retention team'. Took them a couple of days to figure it out but they've just phoned back and although the Underwriter won't budge from their blame culture position the insurers have accepted that it's a no-fault on my part and have absorbed the increase. :D

Thanks for all the help. :thumb:

I will be delighted if my insurance remains the same this year. Used Lancaster for the first time , paid £139 f.comp , 5000 miles , breakdown cover , includes my son ( 32 ) , and daughter ( 27 ) . (fortunately neither of them have asked to borrow it yet!) I do believe that premiums in general have shot up in the past few months , so expect to get hammered in March on renewal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom