Presumed guilty...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burger

Car
2007 SL (R230)
I ordered a new laptop from Amazon as they had it in stock and promised next day delivery. That was at just gone midnight. This morning I got an email from them...

In order to process this order we require you to fax us your last credit card statement so we can verify your address. Include on the fax your full name, telephone number, card number and address. In the meantime, your Amazon account has been disabled until this matter is resolved. It is a genuine email from Amazon and is the truth... my account was disabled.

Fax my full credit card details to complete strangers and a company I have no idea what they intend to do with it? Not likely.

So I called them... girl couldn't tell me anything about my order or account as it had been disabled. She couldn't put me through to the right department either. Best she could offer is to get them to call me some time in the next 24 hours. I told her to cancel the order as the only reason I placed it with them was to get it tomorrow. Couldn't do that, because she couldn't access the account. Basically no help at all.

So, I replied to the email and told them to cancel the order immediately and close my account as I will never order from them again. They've said the order will be automatically cancelled after 4 days if I don't send the requested info by fax, so they may as well cancel it now as I will never send them such info.

In the meantime I called the credit card company and they confirmed Amazon had already put through a £1 test and that if they put through the full amount it would be authorised. I told them not to authorise it and they said they can't act on that instruction I had to cancel the order with Amazon.

As I've already told them to cancel the order, I then phoned Laptops Direct, paid for it with no issues on the same card and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Apart from the obvious lack of customer service, what I feel really strongly about is that Amazons policies are designed to assume you're out to defraud them above the possibility you're honest and trustworthy. I find that a great shame and a despicable reflection of the society we apparently live in.

Regards,

Unfortunately there is a lot of fraud going on with laptops.

The £1 was probably Amazon checking your Credit Card prior to full payment, some companies do that.

In the unlikely event that the laptop arrived, you could still send it back to them (or reject delivery) for full credit anyway.

But I agree that it is very frustrating when you call a large company and there is absolutely no one to talk to apart from the person that was unable to help you in the first place... been there with BT, British Gas, etc.

Was it Amazon themselves or was it by one of their 'registered sellers' not that it matters but I've never had problems when dealing with amazon directly but some delay when dealing with people selling through amazon

This was Amazon directly. As I said, I do understand they need to protect themselves so I'm not really being critical of them on the reason, just the poor, sad state of affairs that leads to a presumption of guilt over and above that of honesty.

I am though appalled at their method of dealing with the issue even having assumed guilt... I ordered from them specifically for next day delivery. They have my phone number on file but in the event of a problem they're happy to send an anonymous email stating it will delay the order by up to four days, your account is disabled and the only way to communicate with them is by sending the fax they've requested...

That's despicable... hence why I won't order from them again.

Customer service? Pwah.

This was Amazon directly. As I said, I do understand they need to protect themselves so I'm not really being critical of them on the reason, just the poor, sad state of affairs that leads to a presumption of guilt over and above that of honesty.

I am though appalled at their method of dealing with the issue even having assumed guilt... I ordered from them specifically for next day delivery. They have my phone number on file but in the event of a problem they're happy to send an anonymous email stating it will delay the order by up to four days, your account is disabled and the only way to communicate with them is by sending the fax they've requested...

That's despicable... hence why I won't order from them again.

Customer service? Pwah.

Have you sent your complaint in writing, normally they would investigate (which I know would take some time but hey who cares) and then give you a positive outcome. Not that I'm asking you to deal with them again but they may give you some vouchers or something as compensation for the bad service you received.

I normally find that if you put something in writing they follow it up.........

Last edited:
Have you sent your complaint in writing, normally they would investigate (which I know would take some time but hey who cares) and then give you a positive outcome. Not that I'm asking you to deal with them again but they may give you some vouchers or something as compensation for the bad service you received.

I've certainly registered my complaint by email and have received an automated response telling me they've received it. We'll see what the outcome is.

Regards,

I've certainly registered my complaint by email and have received an automated response telling me they've received it. We'll see what the outcome is.

Regards,

I had problems with my paypal account and complained in writing, they were very quick to sort it out so I hope it gets solved for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom