Pretty boring e270cdi upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dblock

Car
S500L, e270, c180k
Hi guys,

So my dad had a w220 s500. It is a great car but too thirsty for the miles he does.

So we got a 2005 w211 e270cdi. Seems decent so far.

Now the problem when coming from a 5litre v8 is the lack of power that the e270 can sometimes have. So over this thread I intend just to show how I maintain it and make it perform better. My end goal is to have more performance and more mpg's. I've had 52mpg at 70mph so far :bannana:

So things that will be coming soon:

The thermostat doesn't work but I will attempt to change it and do a guide at the same time.

I'll be doing a oil change too hopefully a guide aswell.

Ive already got a custom exhaust being made for it. It is only to cut away the cats the bit after the cats is still standard. Its preventative maintenance so that cats cant block up. I'll love to see if it has any performance increase.

[S-TAG]Pictures are to follow[/S-TAG]

Will keep you updated :thumb:

sorry dont know how I managed that but could a mod move this to projects?

Sorry and thanks

Still not moved...

Anyways an update. The decat was a no go as the pipes where massive. Taking a new exhaust and cutting it open wasnt financial viable. So thats that.:doh:

I changed the oil ( forgot to take pics :doh:, will do it next time :rolleyes:) fuel filter and air filter. I got a k&n as it will pay its self off pretty quickly as you can wash it. Car ran pretty smooth and all good.

I changed the themostat. the car used to sit at 60c. Now the car sits at 90somthing. Car runs the same but I get 50mpg rather than 45ish. Very happy :bannana:

I also got my car remaped in Kirriemuir. A nice guy called Lyndsey did it at a place called Kartech. Its really good. Smooth linear power. Much smoother and the engine seems quieter. The car also pulls much better and without struggling. This was a great mod :)

Hi,
Regarding the de-cat why do you not just cut the CATs open, and remove the internals, you get a de-cat without having to replace any pipe work, and it also gives the "illusion" of the CATs still being fitted as this could of caused falling foul of the new MOT rules.

Hi,
Regarding the de-cat why do you not just cut the CATs open, and remove the internals, you get a de-cat without having to replace any pipe work, and it also gives the "illusion" of the CATs still being fitted as this could of caused falling foul of the new MOT rules.

I was thinking of doing that but if ever I wanted to put it back to standard a pattern part was still working out very expensive. If I need a new exhaust then that will happen:devil:

Stopwatch innit:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

I would have timed 30-70. Obviously there would have been many variables. I would also try to measure smoothness. But it wasnt really viable at the moment :thumb:

SBC-H isnt working anymore so need to check the switch. :doh:

EGR and MAF need to be cleaned. I'm really liking the 2.7cdi. Its very smooth and great on fuel. Its torquey enough once it/I learn to keep it in the power band. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom