Pretty fed up with scammers while trying to sell an honest car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Benplym, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Benplym

Benplym Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ml320
    Have my ml up for sale, at a decent price, it's pretty damn amazing. Last night I get a call from a dealer asking really in depth questions about the car. Mid sent ace he stops me to tell me he wanted to see who the scammer was. I was confused but long story short some foreign person has duplicated my ad, pictures and private plate even and put it up for 4999.... Mine is 13600.

So o find the ad and ring him pretending to be a buyer in order to get an address. He tells me he's owned the car for 4 years, even a story behind the registration and that il have to be there (300 miles away from where my car actually is) to a council estate in high rise flats (googled it) with 5000 cash before 9 am as there is someone else doing the same, has to be cash, no bank transfer. But wouldn't give a house number, just ring when your outside. The exact same story he gave the dealer who rang me.

I then pulled him, told him the car was mine and he sh*t himself and hung up.

I contacted his local police station and they helped a bit but they wouldn't accept that anyone was going to get mugged. I cannot think of any other reason for pretending to own a car, making people drive to an estate with 5000 cash first thing in the morning with no address to then say April fools or something. Someone / people will get hurt, and the only comeback they will have is my REAL advert everywhere on the Internet to go on..... It's not as if he has a really bad ml280 that he's just using my pics as you cannot buy an ml280 for 4999 pounds even if it had no engine, wheels or bodywork, and my plate comes with the car apparently

Rant over, I'm just fuming, I suppose it's a kind of positive that he chose my car, it must look nice.

2. E270 Owner

E270 Owner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Anything I get my hands on.
    Water mark all your images with your e-mail address

3. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    certainly some scum out there :(

4. KennyN

KennyN Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 440i Coupe
    Any perspective purchaser that is taken in by this other sellers "scam" deserves what they get.

OK, lets take £5k in cash to an area we don't know to pay for an item that is almost 1/3 of its true value and once there we can ignore the fact that the address / area / seller details just don't add up :fail

There was one going about on our local Gumtree for various motorbikes , saying that the bikes were actually in Spain and once paid for it would be imported - :doh: , if anyone fell for this add they need their head examined.

Kenny

PS - Will you take £4500 for it ? , I can pop round with the pound notes when my bike arrives from Spain. :rolleyes:

5. M12MKD

M12MKD Active Member

Car:
    Skoda
    This is why places like we buy any car is doing well.

Have to say u sold mine to them because of time wasters. They now have it up at 4k more than they paid me for it! And someone will pay it. Yet they won't pay it from a private sale.

6. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Top advice but use a disposable email address not your main one

7. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    And this also why I have always traded-in my cars - for significantly less than what they would have fetched via private sale....

In the olden days the buyers would be people who wanted... err... to buy a car.

These days they seem to be everything but.

8. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Isn't the answer obviuos?

9. c_200k

c_200k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML63
    That's also the reason I've recently started trading cars in.

Just can't be ****d with the hassle that comes with private sales.

Both car's I've traded in have been up for sale for atleast £5k over what they paid me.

10. Giantvanman

Giantvanman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    Apparently, the scammers are hired with brown envelope payments by main dealerships who have a plan for world domination by guiding everyone to buy cars from only them.

I made that up.

Very disappointing the local police didn't take a greater interest. If nothing else, it would have been worth looking at of S2 Fraud Act- misrepresentation, where there doesn't need to be an actual loss or gain, only the intent which is pretty much proven I would say.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/crossheading/fraud

11. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E250 CDI
    Great advice but images should be watermarked with, in case of Autotra#er ad number, or with item id no for e#ay ads.

12. OP
    OP
    Benplym

Car:
    Ml320
    On ebay they are automatically marked with my business watermark, it didn't even cross my mind to be honest. It's just madness, I wouldn't be so worried if it was a generic paypal scheme or he was trying to obtain multiple deposits. He just wanted you to bring £5000 in cash to block of flats.

I literally feel violated that this guy was telling me the story behind my private plate belonging to his missus and the cars been so good to him over the last four years. If it wasn't 300 miles away I would have liked to turn up in my ml as a buyer, would have been amusing

13. RhysC63?

RhysC63? Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 2015 9g AMG Prem Plus, previously C63
    Haha that would be hillarious, I can just imagine driving slowly up to him and getting out of the car wearing a balaclava and carrying a baseball bat.

What an absolute scumbag.

14. OP
    OP
    Benplym

Car:
    Ml320
    Ha that would have been the plan, would be hilarious, and I can guarantee I would be the one to be arrested, even minus the baseball bat

15. c_200k

c_200k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML63
    Yup Seems like they have more rights than the innocent