Pretty fed up with scammers while trying to sell an honest car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benplym

Car
Ml320
Have my ml up for sale, at a decent price, it's pretty damn amazing. Last night I get a call from a dealer asking really in depth questions about the car. Mid sent ace he stops me to tell me he wanted to see who the scammer was. I was confused but long story short some foreign person has duplicated my ad, pictures and private plate even and put it up for 4999.... Mine is 13600.

So o find the ad and ring him pretending to be a buyer in order to get an address. He tells me he's owned the car for 4 years, even a story behind the registration and that il have to be there (300 miles away from where my car actually is) to a council estate in high rise flats (googled it) with 5000 cash before 9 am as there is someone else doing the same, has to be cash, no bank transfer. But wouldn't give a house number, just ring when your outside. The exact same story he gave the dealer who rang me.

I then pulled him, told him the car was mine and he sh*t himself and hung up.

I contacted his local police station and they helped a bit but they wouldn't accept that anyone was going to get mugged. I cannot think of any other reason for pretending to own a car, making people drive to an estate with 5000 cash first thing in the morning with no address to then say April fools or something. Someone / people will get hurt, and the only comeback they will have is my REAL advert everywhere on the Internet to go on..... It's not as if he has a really bad ml280 that he's just using my pics as you cannot buy an ml280 for 4999 pounds even if it had no engine, wheels or bodywork, and my plate comes with the car apparently

Rant over, I'm just fuming, I suppose it's a kind of positive that he chose my car, it must look nice.

Any perspective purchaser that is taken in by this other sellers "scam" deserves what they get.

OK, lets take £5k in cash to an area we don't know to pay for an item that is almost 1/3 of its true value and once there we can ignore the fact that the address / area / seller details just don't add up :fail

There was one going about on our local Gumtree for various motorbikes , saying that the bikes were actually in Spain and once paid for it would be imported - :doh: , if anyone fell for this add they need their head examined.

Kenny

PS - Will you take £4500 for it ? , I can pop round with the pound notes when my bike arrives from Spain. :rolleyes:

This is why places like we buy any car is doing well.

Have to say u sold mine to them because of time wasters. They now have it up at 4k more than they paid me for it! And someone will pay it. Yet they won't pay it from a private sale.

This is why places like we buy any car is doing well.....

And this also why I have always traded-in my cars - for significantly less than what they would have fetched via private sale....

In the olden days the buyers would be people who wanted... err... to buy a car.

These days they seem to be everything but.

Have my ml up for sale, at a decent price.....he wanted to see who the scammer was...

put it up for 4999.... Mine is 13600

Isn't the answer obviuos?

That's also the reason I've recently started trading cars in.

Just can't be ****d with the hassle that comes with private sales.

Both car's I've traded in have been up for sale for atleast £5k over what they paid me.

Apparently, the scammers are hired with brown envelope payments by main dealerships who have a plan for world domination by guiding everyone to buy cars from only them.

I made that up.

Very disappointing the local police didn't take a greater interest. If nothing else, it would have been worth looking at of S2 Fraud Act- misrepresentation, where there doesn't need to be an actual loss or gain, only the intent which is pretty much proven I would say.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/crossheading/fraud

MercedesDriver said:
Great advice but images should be watermarked with, in case of Autotra#er ad number, or with item id no for e#ay ads.
On ebay they are automatically marked with my business watermark, it didn't even cross my mind to be honest. It's just madness, I wouldn't be so worried if it was a generic paypal scheme or he was trying to obtain multiple deposits. He just wanted you to bring £5000 in cash to block of flats.

I literally feel violated that this guy was telling me the story behind my private plate belonging to his missus and the cars been so good to him over the last four years. If it wasn't 300 miles away I would have liked to turn up in my ml as a buyer, would have been amusing

If it wasn't 300 miles away I would have liked to turn up in my ml as a buyer, would have been amusing

Haha that would be hillarious, I can just imagine driving slowly up to him and getting out of the car wearing a balaclava and carrying a baseball bat.

What an absolute scumbag.

RhysC63? said:
Haha that would be hillarious, I can just imagine driving slowly up to him and getting out of the car wearing a balaclava and carrying a baseball bat. What an absolute scumbag.

Ha that would have been the plan, would be hilarious, and I can guarantee I would be the one to be arrested, even minus the baseball bat

Ha that would have been the plan, would be hilarious, and I can guarantee I would be the one to be arrested, even minus the baseball bat

Yup Seems like they have more rights than the innocent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom