preventative maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat6buster

Car
W222 S350, 911sc
I have just acquired a yr 2000 (on an X) 430te with 86000 on it. MB service history until service before last which was a year & 10,000 miles ago. I am doubtful this was a thorough service. Question is what should I have done to give me peace of mind? I was thinking precautionary oil & filter change, ATF fluid change and replace coolant. Is this sensible? Anything else I should consider to ensure the car and I get on OK for the next few years? Also how do i check which gearbox model i have? The service book gives me a long number - is there a bit of this long number that gives me the model of the box? I would just like to make sure my garage use the right fluid. Also (sorry to be a dimwit) does this car have timing chains rather than belt? If chains I think that's one less worry, is that right? p.s. loving the car - very smooth.

Great engines very tough look for 113.

Timing chain.

Gbox oil good idea ive just had my box rebuilt and a new t.c cost £1400:D

Main thing i would be concerend about is rust and the rust, everything else is pretty good.

Lynall

ATF
Brake Fluid
Diff Oil
Coolant
Plugs
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Pollen Filter

Grease up all moving parts you can find (hinges etc).. grease up inside hub caps for wheel bearings..

Clear all the built up crud under wheel arch lips... do this thoroughly..

get all leaves out from the corners of under bonnet area.. poke through all drain holes to ensure they are clear..

Grease the windscreen wiper workings. Its on here somewhere how to get the cover off and do it.

Hearty Thanks

Thanks folks, I'll certainly follow these recommendations. Something tells me I need to be on the lookout for rust...
biggrin.gif

Unless previous owner has gone to great lengths to disguise it I think we may be OK. I have a couple of small areas starting at the base of 1 back door and around a stone chip by the windscreen surround. I think I'll have these looked at sooner rather than later now! I suppose living at the seaside in rain lashed north cornwall isn't going to help the car's life expectancy much!

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom