Preventing engine start with ATF change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AdamG

Car
W210 E240 yr 2000 (stolen), W220 S320CDI (2003)
I want to change the oil in my s320cdi gearbox. I've heard you can get more oil out by spinning the engine with the start motor.

Last time I disconnected the crank shaft postion sensor but it was a right pain to get at and left a fault code that needed resetting.

What is the most convenient way to disable the engine from starting? Fuel pump relay?

Thanks

Adam

Why not ... Just change the oil ??
If you are concerned to do a better job, then just change it that bit more often.

Cheers
Johnsco

I meant ATF ... Only called it "oil" 'cos the OP called it "oil".

Johnsco

Thanks for the replies.

I have already done an atf change recently to flush the system. I just wanted to get as much oil out as possible as at the moment I can only get about 4 litres.

Adam

Thats all you will get out adam, i would just take the advice and do it a bit more often once a year or so, cheap insurance.
If you just drain the oil you will only get 3 ltres ish but if you remove the sump and the filter you will get some more bit messy mind!
Filter only £7.50 from mb

Lynall

Thanks Lynall. I saw one of your old posts and got some atf oil on ebay for £60....great value. I have now put 12 litres and two filters in. Hopefully that should have flushed it.

The reason I was trying to get a good change is I'm having slight problems with the torque converter lockup clutch.

Thanks

Adam

You must have got the oil from the same bloke i got mine:) i was very pleased with the price.

If you have stuck all 12 litres in then i would say its got to be as good as a full change.

Hope your problems dont end up like mine ie a gearbox rebuild and a new tc, search on here for zizzing! seriously that was the post title.

Got to do wifes tomorrow.

Lynall

Spinning the engine over on the starter isn't going to get much ATF out of the converter.
Out of curiosity, what symptoms do you have with your lock-up problem?

You must have got the oil from the same bloke i got mine:) i was very pleased with the price.

Yes I think I did. Unfortunately he dosn't seem to have any more.

I was very surprised you had such trouble with your gearbox at that mileage.

I'm having a problem with a slight vibration, like running over rumble strips when the car is lightly pulling in 4th or 5th. It's almost as if the car has not changed gear in time. I have been told it is the lockup clutch is the torque converter and needs a new one, but I thought I'd give it an oil change to see if this helps.

I wonder if it is to do with these high torque engines putting large stresses through the drivetrain?

Thanks Alan. I did try previously to remove extra oil by spinning the engine and only got an extra 1/4 litre out.

Cheers

Adam

There is an issue with the lock-up clutch who's symptom is vibration - first came to light on German taxis, as you would expect - where the lock-up's spliney-bit (tech. term!) spins in it's hub (that connects to the transmission input shaft).
I'd guess around £200 for an exchange (sorted) converter and I know the place to do it, but you'd probably want the physical work of swapping converters doing somewhere more local.
Unfortunately you have the 'worst' installation of a big diseasel, which means big torque spikes and the lock-up clutch bears the brunt.
Not sure if there's a simple electrical way of disabling the lock-up, but that would be a good thing to do until you can get it sorted, shouldn't spoil economy much.

Sorry for the bad news - I'm hoping low mileage and a petrol engine means I don't have to worry just yet...

I also had the slight vibes from cold and honestly thought it was tyre balance! even had them balanced but the problem conitinued until i lost drive as per the zizzing post.

Lynall

Thanks for the advice Alan on the torque converter. I have access to star so could try disabling the lockup clutch.

Interestingly I have just replaced the engine mounts (near side one was split) and I recon it has made it worse.

It is still perfectly drivable only it really has not got that silky smoothness I expected from a mercedes. My E240 (petrol) w210 is much much smoother. At idle you can not tell the engine is on.

Cheers

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom