Prices for older petrol cars on the rise ?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauls500

Car
s500
Has anyone else noticed that prices seem to be rising for petrol engined cars that fall into that ‘not quite a classic yet’ category?, there’s a couple of cars that I keep my eye on for possible future purchase ( conti GT / maserati gran turismo ) that I suppose you could use as a benchmark and they’ve definitely started to creep up for anything with a sensible mileage. Seems the same for my 221 S500 as well, anything that’s the same money as I paid for mine has either starship miles or a dodgy spec. People are maybe realising that the days of these cars are numbered ?.

I have two petrol cars, and WBAC quotes on both are currently very high. That said, I no longer have a Diesel car, so can't compare - there may be an overall hardening of the second hand car market, I.e. not just petrol, but I do not know.

Also, I bought a petrol car (not the Merc) from a dealer for £15k just over two years ago. The WBAC quote is currently £13k. If WBAC are willing to pay me £13k for the car, it will eventually find its way to a dealer forecourt with a sticker price of at least £15k. So zero depreciation (or appreciation, in real terms). But again, I can't say if it's only petrol cars that are affected.

I've noticed a crazy rise in prices for all sorts of old cars over the years - good and crap in equal measure seem to be affected.

Whether they are selling for this though is another matter.

I keep my eye on Maserati Granturismo prices and have done for a good 5 years now. They are in steady decline and I've not seen this trend slow yet.

However, I do think an example like Cyclone1's may appreciate as they move away from that amazing flat-plane crank V8 Ferrari block in future.

On more modern cars, I think it's just a lack of supply from people not changing cars filtering through.

Great if you are selling but not so good if you are buying.

Has anyone else noticed that prices seem to be rising for petrol engined cars that fall into that ‘not quite a classic yet’ category?, there’s a couple of cars that I keep my eye on for possible future purchase ( conti GT / maserati gran turismo ) that I suppose you could use as a benchmark and they’ve definitely started to creep up for anything with a sensible mileage. Seems the same for my 221 S500 as well, anything that’s the same money as I paid for mine has either starship miles or a dodgy spec. People are maybe realising that the days of these cars are numbered ?.
Looking at the number of unsold cars at Anglia Car auctions latest auction i would have said the classic car market including modern classics (80's-90's) has slowed down of late.

Could be due to owners putting unrealistically high reserves on their pride n joys at auction, a lack of inexperienced private buyers at auctions (who traditionally would bid over the odds for their dream classic) due to being scared off by covid restrictions which do not allow them to view cars in person. Which leaves only serious trade buyers present at auctions who will not pay over the odds for cars. One thing you can count on though is any old fast ford will make stupid money. That has not changed.

Also for the private classic buyer there is the increasing difficulty old car owners have in finding someone willing to work on their cars. If you cannot plug it into a computer many garages are stumped sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom