Pride of Longbridge Rally today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The editor of that clearly favoured the Maestro/Montego era.

I was surprised to see an '07' plated 75/ZT, that must have sat around a yard somewhere for a while before it found a purchaser.

I'll be busy in the garden, but on Wednesday I spent the day with a friend who is a classic car dealer and we visited one of his clients who has a veteran car he is preparing for sale. However, he'd just bought a single owner, very low mile Rover P6. A really stunning looking car, made me positively nostalgic. My uncle had had an SDI, while his father who had been a director of Boots (started in a shop sweeping the floors as a young lad) had a perfect white P5B. I suspect there is more money being made as profit in keeping these cars on the road than there ever was in making them though!

'Keeping the Dream Alive'...

...would bring a tear to glass eye...

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be - compared to other cars of the day, they weren't that bad. :(

Once you've replaced the electrics, sorted silly things like over-heating out and cut out all the rust and re-built the cars you have superb cars that drive very well.

It seemed rather sad though that Rover, the Bentley for the middle classes, ending up on what should have been Austin or Morris cars.

Still, least Jaguar is alive and well.

IMHO. The single biggest problem with Austin Rover cars was the styling. I borrowed an early Maestro and thought it was OK and had a Montego on rent for a while and it was a nice drive.
Someone I know had a Montego 2.0 Estate and I don't think they had any mechanical issues, but the body did rust quite a bit.

A great selection there.

It's interesting that the Vanguard, Triumph 2500 and Marina have left hand sweep wipers.

Dieselman said:
A great selection there.

It's interesting that the Vanguard, Triumph 2500 and Marina have left hand sweep wipers.
I don't know about the other two, but the reason for the left hand sweep wipers on the Marina was because when the prototype cars were built with right hand sweep wipers, the driver's side one was found to lift off the screen badly at speed.

As there were no funds available to fix the aerodynamic problem, it was "solved" by having the wipers sweep the other way. The passenger side blade lifting off the screen was deemed to be acceptable.

A great selection there.

Which Vanguard would that be, then?

I'll tell you this, though: the panel gaps and paint finishes - particularly on the Marina estate - are better than many a modern Mercedes Benz! :doh:

I'll tell you this, though: the panel gaps and paint finishes - particularly on the Marina estate - are better than many a modern Mercedes Benz! :doh:

That paint has either been re-done or polished to within an inch of its life.

Perhaps Red Robbo was off-sick that day?

I didn't mean vanguard, but thought pictures 2 and 3 were of Standard make of cars.

That paint has either been re-done or polished to within an inch of its life.

Don't you mean "Detailed".

The grille has been stripped and overly polished though. That original Marina grille looked lovely.

Although underneath, the marina was a poor car, it has some nice styling cue's, the grille, the front wing tops, the kick up into the third side window.

Last edited:

Yes, the clue was the 'Austin of England ' badge on the wing and the flying A on the bonnet.

Standard+Vanguard+-+1952.jpg

This is a Standard Vanguard - identical to that in which I taught myself to drive in 1965 aged 15 years old! (Apart from reg JSG 818)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom