Primary Cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markojay

Car
Bmw
Hi I currently have a W204 C63 with primary and secondary cat delete (was installed when I got the car). I'm looking at installing a primary sports cat maybe 200cell or should I just buy a second hand OE? has anyone done this and had success passing an MOT? Car is a little on the loud side and smells quite a bit.

TIA

Hi Markojay and welcome to the forum. Nice to see someone trying to put cats back on a car instead of all the posts about cutting them of. Plenty info on here from members who have 'been there , done that' coming your was soon.

Let us know roughly what part of the country you are in , helps members steer you to help closest to you . :thumb:

Hi Markojay and welcome to the forum. Nice to see someone trying to put cats back on a car instead of all the posts about cutting them of. Plenty info on here from members who have 'been there , done that' coming your was soon.

Let us know roughly what part of the country you are in , helps members steer you to help closest to you . :thumb:
Hi thanks for the warm welcome.

Its silly loud and not really to my taste although I do enjoy the v8 sound track! just want it toned down a little and not have to worry about MOT.

I'm up in Aberdeen Scotland

I know , there is a bloke around my way with a gutted E63, sounds $hite, as he drive by people look, you can tell they are thinking ...' who is that nob ? '
Haha

Any decent exhaust place should be able to sort out sports cats for you. I have 200 cell ones straight to an OE back box (no centre muffler) on my SL, and that passes the MOT fine at a main dealer. I had it done by Longlife Exhausts ... they are a national chain, although their nearest branch to you is Glenrothes which would be a bit of a hike. Hopefully you'd be able to find somewhere more local.

Not sure how much I'd trust a 2nd hand OE cat (if you could find one) - IIRC the matrix is reasonably fragile (ceramic) and can be damaged pretty easily e.g. if dropped etc.

Any decent exhaust place should be able to sort out sports cats for you. I have 200 cell ones straight to an OE back box (no centre muffler) on my SL, and that passes the MOT fine at a main dealer. I had it done by Longlife Exhausts ... they are a national chain, although their nearest branch to you is Glenrothes which would be a bit of a hike. Hopefully you'd be able to find somewhere more local.

Not sure how much I'd trust a 2nd hand OE cat (if you could find one) - IIRC the matrix is reasonably fragile (ceramic) and can be damaged pretty easily e.g. if dropped etc.
Thanks for your reply. I had heard about the oe primary fragility being an issue.

I will speak to a local exhaust fabricator for further advise. What would I do with the o2 sensors would these need to be reconnected or not bother as I assume they have been mapped out as I don't have a CEL.

The fitter may be able to advise on this. Hopefully someone who knows the C63 system will chime in, but I think you'd normally have pre and post-cat sensors ... with the first being left alone, and the second getting disconnected/removed. Assuming that's the case I would leave it as is and get an emissions check done straight after fitting the sports cat (the exhaust place would probably do this anyway, to check that the new cat was working).

The fitter may be able to advise on this. Hopefully someone who knows the C63 system will chime in, but I think you'd normally have pre and post-cat sensors ... with the first being left alone, and the second getting disconnected/removed. Assuming that's the case I would leave it as is and get an emissions check done straight after fitting the sports cat (the exhaust place would probably do this anyway, to check that the new cat was working).
Thanks, yes I will certainly ask. Would be great to hear from someone that has done something similar.

My mot tester has also said that the oxygen sensors need to be plugged in or that will be a failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom