Prince Philip has died

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I (met) -ish him about eight years ago, sharp as a pin and very interested in the people he met. I’m not a strong royalist but I seriously respect their devotion to duty. Dont think I’d do it.

I think there are many who would describe themselves as 'not a strong royalist' but nevertheless they have respect for the institution and are moved by the personal circumstances of today.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have as individuals managed to maintain the strength of the monarchy as an institution that is recognised very widely across the modern world - a world that has changed incredibly since they became the centre of that institution.

That is a remarkable joint achievement.

Sad news. RIP Prince Philip.

Such sad news. 70 years of supporting HMTQ and invariably walking two steps behind her, seeking no credit for all his work done quietly in the background, most notably the gradual modernisation of the monarchy.
Shame he didn't quite make it to 100 but by all accounts it wouldn't have mattered to him as he was dedicated to the service of others.

RIP Prince Philip. Thank you for your service, Sir. I doubt we shall see your likes again.

Thoughts are with HMTQ today. What a couple of years she's had and now this.

The BBC can’t even leave it one day before they mention his “ sometimes controversial views and how he upset people “.
:mad:

(that's aimed at the Biased Broadcasting Corporation, Wr1ghty, not you!)

If you are a Royalist or not there is no doubting the immense and positive contributions he has made to the UK both publicly and behind the scenes over many decades of selfless service.

I had the good fortune to meet him briefly some years ago and found him absolutely charming, engaging, and thoroughly interested in those he met and with a very quick and dry wit.

Today is a landmark day for the entire country.

R.I.P

The BBC can’t even leave it one day before they mention his “ sometimes controversial views and how he upset people “.
I didn't see a problem with mentioning one of his many characteristics that I admired. He said exactly what he thought without holding back for fear of being criticised for saying the wrong thing. I'll miss his refreshing candour. RIP

RIP HRH Prince Philip - a brilliant & faultless consort.

I remember standing on street in India and looking up a the birds nest of dodgy wiring on the top of electrical supply pole seeing the sparks jumping out of it.

I thought of him on that day and a comment he once made, and I bust out laughing. His wisdom also made me thankful that my contract working in China was a short one.

R.I.P

Saddened he never made 100 . RIP Sir

I now think we are going to be plagued by that BBC weasel and know it all
Nicholas Witchell , who I understand the Royals could not abide .

Will be sadly missed and now leaving the Queen for me as the last of the true ‘Royals’.
Respect Sir RIP.

Very sad news. :(

A great man who did his duty to the end,he supported the Queen and the family but at the same time he was his own man.

:mad:

(that's aimed at the Biased Broadcasting Corporation, Wr1ghty, not you!)
I thought the BBC gave a measured appraisal of his life and contribution to the monarchy. If they had missed out the more contraversial aspects of his character their coverage could easily be accused of sycophancy. So it actually strengthened the veracity off their reporting of his positive contribution to the nation rather than detracted from it.

Gaffs amuse young journalists.

Commitment, consistency, extraordinary diplomacy, work ethic, and the ability to create an entirely voluntary organisation that trained eight million teenagers in 144 countries in life skills, team work, self-reliance, and goal achievement seems barely worth a mention.

The Duke of Edinburgh's Award - Wikipedia

Let's face it, most of us are good at cricket, sailing, polo, and even invent a complex new Equestrian sport, while staying whippet fit well into our Eighties. I expect to be still driving a Coach and Four at pace, at the age of 98, as he did - don't you?

41547286-9453937-image-a-58_1617977328272.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom