Privacy glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B3MX5

Car
S212 E350cdi 265
I'm getting the S212's windows from the B-pillar back tinted as they're currently standard and my children are finding the sun bright occasionally. I'm personally not a fan of tinted windows as for me it makes cars look like vans, but kids and security come first. Does anyone know what the level of tint was OE from Mercedes when requested as an option? I'm trying to achieve something that looks as standard as possible, and definitely not limo-tint!

Thanks in advance.

I like (lightly) tinted windows, but not the effect of tinting only the rear windows (van-like, as you say).

Are your children of an age where they might use, and enjoy, some cool-looking sunglasses, instead?

Most standard privacy glass across all manufacturers is approx 20% of light transmittance. So I'd say go for 20%-30% based on preference, just make sure that whoever you use is experienced and will be applying good quality film.

I've also contemplated rear window tinting now that I have a 20 month old daughter. The drug dealer / van look doesn't appeal to me but IF it does a good job of protecting my little one then it's worth it. But is it? Does it make a noticeable difference to the glare from the sun without dangerously reducing outward vision, especially at night? Would I be better off fitting those ugly rear window blinds that we can raise and lower? (How I wish I'd specced rear blinds when ordering the car, but we didn't have kids then.)

Any decent tinting service can tell you what the OEM level is (20% rings a bell) I went with the next darker.

Dont go cheap and nasty as you will end up with purple looking glass.

I've also contemplated rear window tinting now that I have a 20 month old daughter. The drug dealer / van look doesn't appeal to me but IF it does a good job of protecting my little one then it's worth it. But is it? Does it make a noticeable difference to the glare from the sun without dangerously reducing outward vision, especially at night? Would I be better off fitting those ugly rear window blinds that we can raise and lower? (How I wish I'd specced rear blinds when ordering the car, but we didn't have kids then.)

When our girls were small we had a SEAT Alhambra. It was like driving around in a greenhouse! I had 70% tints all round and it made a massive difference to the solar gain. The a/c could now easily cope with the few hots days we had :)

BUT... night vision was dramatically reduced rearward. Basically one was driving a solid sided van...

Never had major visibility issues with privacy glass, but second the heat reduction from a quality film.

I had my E class done, dark smoke on rear, dark smoke at rear doors and light smoke on front doors, takes away that van like appearance that i hate.

I had my E class done, dark smoke on rear, dark smoke at rear doors and light smoke on front doors, takes away that van like appearance that i hate.

When I asked the company they advised hat almost any level of tint was illegal on the front windows as they even as standard there's already a level of tint on non-tinted windows. What you've described is pretty much what I was originally thinking, but with a medium tint towards the rear.

This is the company I'm thinking of using: Vehicle Wrapping, Window Tinting and Wheel Refurbishment in Trafford Park, Manchester

Are your children of an age where they might use, and enjoy, some cool-looking sunglasses, instead?

2yrs and 9months old so no sadly!

When I asked the company they advised hat almost any level of tint was illegal on the front windows as they even as standard there's already a level of tint on non-tinted windows. What you've described is pretty much what I was originally thinking, but with a medium tint towards the rear.

The guidance is as follows:
"The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through."

(This from the Government website https://www.gov.uk/tinted-vehicle-window-rules)

Check with your insurance, as some will refuse cover on aftermarket tints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom