Private ANPR Vehicle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rich27

Car
190e 300TD
My understanding is ANPR technology is available to all, BUT that does not mean the information is. All an ANPR does is read the vehicle registration number and convert to a digital format which a computer can interpret.

THen the agency using it can compare the number to its database. OK the Police one is compared to lists of unlicenced, untaxed, unregistered etc vehicles. (and a lot more)

I suspect this one only has a list of vehicles connected to its business. Maybe vehicles on which the owners have not made their payments, or people who have not paid their fine, and this just helps them track down people via their vehicles. I doubt they have access to Police databases etc.

An example of civil ANPR use is car park access. Only registered vehicles can enter as the ANPR camera reads the number plate and opens the barrier to authorised users.

Last edited:
A few bailiff companies use them precisely for the reason that The Mallard has said, non-paid fines etc.

If your really interested the company who makes/sells these PIPS Technology is in Eastleigh, Hampshire Contacts

As long as they are adhering to Data Protection policies they are perfectly legal for use.

The issue that I have with this sort of thing, much the same as when companies that enforce parking regulations send parking tickets in the post, is that they have been allowed access to registration number and address details from the DVLA.

If this data and technology were to fall into the hands of criminals they could pick any car they see in the street, enter the details into system and go and steal that car from its home address.

May be this is why there are so many cars stolen to order.

How do you know this company got its data from DVLA. It may have received it from leasing companies, loan companies, credit companies etc. I think you will find DVLA do not just give out personal information without knowing exactly who they are giving it to. And the penalties for wrongful disclosure of computer held data are severe and the individual is liable as well as the company.

Tan it wouldnt be DVLA information they are using.

It would be from things like unpaid parking tickets where the registration is taken at the time of the "offence" which they would then place into their ANPR system.

They would then drive the streets trying to find these cars and clamp them to secure payment of the monies outstanding.

Only time I could see that DVLA would give them info would be for an offence they have obtained a court judgement against the driver/vehicle and the bailiff/collection company was instructed to recover the car/monies owed.

A restaurant I go to in Epping has ANPR for all cars that enter the car park. They use it to flag up known "runners"

McDonalds and alot of retail parks now have it too to time how long you are in the car park.

Registers your number plate as you enter and if you dont leave in an allotted time period automatically issues you with a fixed penalty ticket!

The website also claims their operatives carry out arrests ! Not sure what powers of arrest these civilians will have ... They also list 'clamping' amongst their activities - already illegal here in Scotland , soon to be outlawed elsewhere .

Quite a funny picture on the 'about us' page of a little guy with arms surrounded by orange 'baloons' - pretty amateurish photography !

Basically they are Bailiffs, who have some powers, but power of arrest is only applicable when enforcing a magistrates arrest warrant, usually for non attandance or non payment of fines.

Similar to Sheiffis officers in Scotland

It would be from things like unpaid parking tickets where the registration is taken at the time of the "offence" which they would then place into their ANPR system.

They would then drive the streets trying to find these cars and clamp them to secure payment of the monies outstanding.

Only time I could see that DVLA would give them info would be for an offence they have obtained a court judgement against the driver/vehicle and the bailiff/collection company was instructed to recover the car/monies owed.

It can be - DVLA will release information if you have "due cause" to have access to it.

Some useful information about the rules that govern how the DVLA release data here.

Following a spate of burglaries they installed ANPR cameras at some of the entry points to the Moor Park estate in Northwood. As you approached, your registration would flash up on an LED display, leaving you in no doubt that if weren't meant to be there, you could be traced. (Unless, of course, you were using false number plates...)

Thanks Mocas, that link was quite interesting, seems that we can now make a private application for information. Would have been handy a few years ago when a car ripped through the front end of my car and gave me false details. The police were not bothered and would not assist in anyway.,

Thanks Mocas, that link was quite interesting, seems that we can now make a private application for information. Would have been handy a few years ago when a car ripped through the front end of my car and gave me false details. The police were not bothered and would not assist in anyway.,

Of course they wouldn't, there's no money in it for them.

I hope you put in a formal complaint if that was their response. They are obliged to at least take a report of the accident and as an offence had occured investigate it, Officers concerned could/should then be investigated.

Sorry Dan, it could have been the DVLA and certainly in the case of many parking enforcement companies, such as Met Parking, it is the DVLA.

What evidence is required from parking companies to receive DVLA data?

Companies requesting information to enforce parking fees must provide details of their business activities along with evidence to show they are acting on behalf of the land owner, that a parking charge scheme actually exists and that motorists are made aware of the scheme in force.

What charge is made by DVLA and what does it cover?

We charge a fee of £2.50 to cover the administration costs associated with supplying information from the register to third parties. This means that the applicant, and not the taxpayer, pays for processing the request.

How much profit does DVLA make from data release?

We don’t make any profit. Although the regulations allow us to charge a fee to cover the processing costs of providing information, we are similarly prohibited from making a profit.

How many requests for information does DVLA receive each year?

Frequently asked questions about data release

Regards

Tan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom