Private car sales.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greyboy

Car
E280 Sport saloon.
:mad: I've just advertised my '98 C180 auto Sport Estate on Autotraders web site. All i've had all weekend is dealers ringing and wanting to know "what's my bottom price" without even seeing the car. Is it just me or does no one buy privately these days. I'm only asking £2495 which is far less than a trader would want. Perhaps it's just easier to part-ex.

:mad: I've just advertised my '98 C180 auto Sport Estate on Autotraders web site. All i've had all weekend is dealers ringing and wanting to know "what's my bottom price" without even seeing the car. Is it just me or does no one buy privately these days. I'm only asking £2495 which is far less than a trader would want. Perhaps it's just easier to part-ex.

Thats how I feel. Cant be bothered with the hassle and pettyness. You might end up with a little bit more in your pocket, but at least you dont get all the stress.

Thats how I feel. Cant be bothered with the hassle and pettyness. You might end up with a little bit more in your pocket, but at least you dont get all the stress.

Or the comeback if something goes wrong after you sell it privately.:crazy:

Or the comeback if something goes wrong after you sell it privately.:crazy:

There is no comeback I thought? Private sales are not covered by the trade descriptions act and/or sale of goods act, are they?

Nearly all my cars I have sold privately and never a sniff of anything untoward. Mind you, perhaps there was nothing wrong with them!

thats what he means... there is no comeback.. sold as seen

Unless you purposely mislead the buyer with your advert! or so I'm lead to understand if the advice in Whatcar this month is correct. Someone bought a car privately with a "new engine" fitted only to discover that it wasn't a new engine. Small claims court there they go!

Recently, i posted a thread on a camera forum, asking for the best palce to sell some stuff. I didn't list what I had, or the prices I was after (still am, BTW) ;)

Their attitude was that I was just trying to post a surreptitious classified, before I had the necessary post count, and that I was just soliciting PMs. That was completely untrue, and the various coments I received from members there just showed me that I should be glad I am not into photography.

It's good to see that here, we do not react in such a knee-jerk narrow-minded manner.

PJ

Last edited:
Recently, i posted a thread on a camera forum, asking for the best palce to sell some stuff. I didn't list what I had, or the prices I was after (still am, BTW) ;)

Their attitude was that I was just trying to post a surreptitious classified, before I had the necessary post count, and that I was just soliciting PMs. That was completely untrue, and the various coments I received from members there just showed me that I should be glad I am not into photography.

It's good to see that here, we do not react in such a knee-jerk narrow-minded manner.

PJ

If you will join "model photography" forums what can you expect...:bannana:

Or was there a subliminal message in this thread.?????:confused:

After a miserable week fending off dealers i now have (fingers crossed), a genuine buyer coming all the way from Camberley tomorrow. :bannana:

Result! Car now sold to a genuine private buyer for £2400. Thanks to all of you who added to this thread. I may try a private sale again in future , who knows. I am looking for an E-class diesel estate now.

Result! Car now sold to a genuine private buyer for £2400. Thanks to all of you who added to this thread. I may try a private sale again in future , who knows. I am looking for an E-class diesel estate now.
So pleased for you,everything sells in the end :):)

OT Just seen the november issue of topgear mag riddled with mistakes, like a caymans with a V8 and the engine sizes of mercs all over the place

:rock: result :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom