Private medical insurance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Does anyone have private medical insurance? Any good stories about companies , any bad ones? what should i look out for??

I was going to go for the full welly from bupa ...

Any comments would be appreciated. :) :bannana:

fuzzer said:
Does anyone have private medical insurance? Any good stories about companies , any bad ones? what should i look out for??

I have BUPA from when I had it free from work. Now it is getting more and more expensive. You need to limit the cover to reduce the premium, by deciding what elements are worth the risk to pay yourself. :(

I've been with BCWA (Bristol Contributory Welfare Association) for twenty odd years. Absolutely delighted as I've never had to make a claim! :bannana: :bannana:

I have suffered with poor health for a few years now, i have found that you are best to stick with the NHS untill they get stuck and then pay to see consultants privatly,
you may only need one consultation maybe two, but you will save more money than giving it to some flash suit!!

didgit said:
I have suffered with poor health for a few years now, i have found that you are best to stick with the NHS untill they get stuck and then pay to see consultants privatly,
you may only need one consultation maybe two, but you will save more money than giving it to some flash suit!!

I agree with the above... how often are you ill? Combinem this with whether this illnes would be covered anyway and do the maths. For me, after paying for bupa for ten years, I finally needed their services only to find that I wasnt covered. Two year wait on he NHS but I found that I could get the operation done immediately for less than £800 cash.

The ten years cover (even though it was paid for by work) cost me four times the cost of the operation in tax alone.

Last edited:
Depends what you want:D Woolworths or Fortnum and Mason:D .

NHS is great and always there when you need it as long as you don't have sommat you have to go an a waiting list for. We buy into a semi private scheme through work that supports the NHS in that it treats you when the NHS can't and would put you on a waiting list. Covers the kids and anyone relatives I want too:D Has been great for us but only available through work. Do your employers have anything similar? Worth looking at before jumping into BUPA's mitts:D

Sorry not a lot of help - but deffo worth shopping around for!

I've got bupa through work and have used it quite a few times. They have never turned down a claim and have been faultless. I wouldn't want to be without it. My personal opinion (through experience) is that the NHS is crap.

fuzzer said:

i just asked one of my business partner who is an IFA and his opinion is:

"best cover by far standard life health care but most xpensiv, legal and general cheep and chhrful, bupa sumwhere in between"

Hope thats of some use.

I am with Legal and general but have gone for the full monty to cover EVERYTHING (think the maternity cover was overkill but hey ho)
£48 per month all in.

I went for an operation in a private part of an NHS hospital when I was 16 was very good and didn't have to wait long at all, was under my parents private health care which covered me till I was 21. When reached 21 couldn't afford my own policy.
My personnal opionion on the NHS hospitals i'v been to, dirty, filthy stinking holes that aren't fit for animals. Plus have other problems, last few times i'v been to accident and emergencies, there's been a 5 hour waiting time to see a doctor because there has been a room full of asylum seekers! :(

Fuzzer,

I used to be with PPP but were too expensive so transferred to BUPA. I find them excellent and have had no hassle at all with claims, usually do it all via email. Got my BUPA cover thru a broker, 'The Private Healthcare Company', who act as an independant adviser on pvt healthcare, they were much cheaper. ( email : [email protected])

Still receiving physio for a mountain biking accident last year, BUPA are great about it. No qualms about recommending them.

fuzzer said:

As a collection of self-employed lawyers who share the costs of staff and office rental, we made PMI a condition of membership some years ago.

This is not because the NHS is bad - IMHO it is marvellous at dealing with the vast majority of emergency cases. However, for elective procedures, the ability to be able plan work etc around appointments is vital; the NHS unfortunately tells you to wait several weeks or months, then rings you to say 'Be here tomorrow' or you lose your place. We couldn't cope with people going missing at such short notice.

Anyway, we are presently on a group policy called 'Values for business' with Royal & Sun Alliance. We have previously used PPP and BUPA. The only reason for changing has been that most companies will pitch hard for business at the outset, then the premiums go up - they rely on inertia. When your renewal comes through, you need to check out other suppliers and play them off against each other.

In terms of quality I think they all use pretty much the same hospitals and consultants. As long as the paperwork is signed off properly, you just pay the excess, if any. We have never had a problem with a claim being met by any insurer.

Hope this helps, and here's wishing you good health :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom